The Dark Mod Forums

WHY! Why, Why... WHY, FFS...

Bikerdude

Does the .ASE export script not export models correctly now? for the love of fucking christ!

I have tried for an hour now to get DR to export a safe I built, but each time one of the faces exports with the wrong fucking texture, AAARRRGGHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Mother fuck!

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

I uploaded a replacement for this script a while ago. Unfortunately it seems to only work under linux.

http://bugs.thedarkm...iew.php?id=3058

It helps if you revert everything back to worldspawn and then convert it again, if possible in a different order.

EDIT: You can test if the script runs for you under windows, if not, I'll have to change that version, too. The fix of this issue was mora a side-effect, and I can't really explain how it works as I never really understood the reason for the error. So I can't promise it will work always, but at least it worked for angua's example.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Yep, I struggled with the ase exporter some time ago and then simply gave up.

If the exporter is busted, mappers are bound to need to learn blender. :(

That will, on the other hand, improve model quality...

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Well. I'll go and apply the changes made for the linux script to the windows one and upload the result tomorrow. Hope that helps.

Btw: Can you upload a map file containing what you've tried to export and the faulty ase file. I guess I should take another look at that script. Maybe I get it working properly this time.

This puts my angry rants to shame. Nice to see mapping geniuses get frustrated and loose their cool like us mere mortals.

It does indeed SirTaff, I get extremely frustrated when DR/TDM start miss-behaving inexplicably for no logical reason. And whats doubly annoying in this case is .ASE export used to and does work, just fine as I have exported many models with it. I fixed Gmans fence issue, created a new lamp model for the map Ball and myself are working on and then this happens. It makes me wan t to smash my head against a wall when I can see no logical reason for it failing etc. I sit at my desk growling like a very angry bear sometimes..

If the exporter is busted, mappers are bound to need to learn blender.

Does Blender import Func_static models then..? if not how do I/We make sure the model is the same dimensions as the FS one is/was in DR etc..?

Blender can import *.map files. It treats them like Quake maps. Arcturus made a thread about it, I believe.

Another option is to save it as a Prefab then import into an older DR version that has a working

model export script.

Another option is to fix the texture alignment issues in Blender after exporting\importing the model...

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Yeah, the windows code is also shorter. Don't know why, though.

It makes me wan t to smash my head against a wall when I can see no logical reason for it failing

It helps more to smash someones else head against a wall, as you've already have the headaches :smile:

Blender can import .ase models too.

Like nbohr said, you could import the .ase and texture it in blendrr, then export. If you go this route, you need blender 2.61 with and ase import script, save it as a blender file, open it with blender 2.63 (with ase export script), uv map, export and edit the *BITMAP parameter to correspond to TDM materials. It is a bit more work, and could be difficult if you have no blender experience.

I would make it from scratch, because the mesh will be much more detailed than anything dr can produce.

To get it into same scale, you can just set blender grid into 8. Then if you use scale of 1 in ase exporter, you get 1:1 model size from blender to dr.

Is there a hurry? I could give it a shot to model it. What should it look like? What dimensions? What materials?

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Blender can import *.map files. It treats them like Quake maps. Arcturus made a thread about it, I believe.

Blender can export quake .map format. You need to convert it using another app to open it in Darkradiant. I don't know if there are any plugins that let you import .map to Blender. You can however import .obj files without a probelm. I don't know if .obj exported from Radiant preserve uv map though.

It's only a model...