The Dark Mod Forums

The Dark Mod 2.0 Trailer

Professor Paul1290

Since 2.0 is getting pretty close, I went back and revised my earlier trailer.

A lot of it is recycled from my old one, but I swapped out some scenes that I didn't like from before or didn't reflect the current version anymore and added a scene where a guard gets knocked out by a falling object.

I also added a short funny clip of The Knighton Manor at the beginning as an intro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58om5DXeqGo&hd=1

I left it unlisted for now in case there are any edits that would still need to be made.

EDIT:

New version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pFeaBDNmR4

Edited by Professor Paul1290
  • Like 1

It's a bit dark, though. And it would be good to mention, that TDM 2.0 is standalone at the end of the clip (something like: "The worlds best stealth game mod is now going standalone" or so)..

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I'd recommend making the first clip shorter and/or add a title screen or narration to the beginning so people know what they're watching. Also, there are a number of spoilers in there...is it necessary to show how to destroy the statue in St. Lucia?

And the trailer--though a bit dark--looks like it's for a game that somebody bankrolled for millions of dollars. Good work.

Is it just "a bit" dark that you think it will hamper a significant number of people's ability to watch it or is it just "a bit" dark in that it just feels a bit to dark in a slightly annoying way?

I used the same brightness as my earlier trailer and my gameplay videos and I'm a bit hesitant to change it as it took a bit of trial and error to peg it there. I was trying to find a "sweet spot" where it was dark enough made sense for the guards to have trouble seeing me (mostly for people who have never played it) while at the same time just bright enough to see what was going on.

On the other hand, what's appropriate for gameplay videos might not be for trailers of course.

If more people could weigh in on this so I know if I'm too bright or too dark that would be nice.

I'd recommend making the first clip shorter and/or add a title screen or narration to the beginning so people know what they're watching. Also, there are a number of spoilers in there...is it necessary to show how to destroy the statue in St. Lucia?

It's not too necessary to be honest and wouldn't be hard to replace. I just included it because sort of want to include at least one "semi-unique" scene just to show how "hand-crafted" the missions were.

The statue thing in St. Lucia seemed like a good choice because it's short, it has a bit of a "kick" to it, it doesn't involve multi-step puzzle, and it's something you know you need to do in that mission early on.

If you feel it's too much of a spoiler it wouldn't be much of a problem to swap it out though.

I guess on that note, for the beginning I could put some titles in. I could probably put in "Broken Glass Studios" and then follow with some other text and/or credits. Any suggestions?

I'm thinking something like this :P

https://soundcloud.c...2-0-coming-soon

Oh wow, could you upload it without the background music? That might actually be something nice to squeeze into the intro because it's so over the top!

Edited by Professor Paul1290

Yes that is my voice and yeah I will upload the version without the music as soon as I get back home :)

I thought the brightness was just fine. As a reference, the backlight on my TV is only set to 37% and it is mid-morning in a room with six windows! (though closed)

Keep in mind that if you make it too bright, you will get comments like "WTF, this game is lame, how can they not see you?".

Somebody with a tablet or smartphone, tell us what you think of the brightness. I know tabs/phone users aren't the target audience, but so many people use them these days for browsing.....

Edited by lost_soul

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

Oh wow, could you upload it without the background music? That might actually be something nice to squeeze into the intro because it's so over the top!

http://www70.zippyshare.com/v/17306921/file.html

vocals only

Tyler - funny stuff, man.

The trailer has some pretty neat gameplay shots, you have a good sense of "camera" movement, keeping the core of the scenes always in view, without a lot of head movement, and the playing itself is cool and to the point. When I thought it was suddenly way to dark, a light would show up and bring us back from the blackness.

That trailer is great! Really good job :)

I think my vocal clip is a bit too silly for it though :P

Did you want to send me some lines so I can re-record it to something better?

That trailer is great! Really good job :)

I think my vocal clip is a bit too silly for it though :P

Did you want to send me some lines so I can re-record it to something better?

I thought it worked pretty well as the intro is intended to be rather silly, so if anything maybe it should be more silly.

Maybe it should end with "He's one of Bridgeport's greatest thieves, and he'll slip in like a ghost's shadow and leave with all that is valuable before you even know he's there... *alarm* ...well, most of the time..." . :laugh:

• Like 1

Can you use a more TDM-like font (maybe THE TDM font) for the presentation text?

"presents..." is too generic, it must be changed to something more.....taffin' :D

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

The voice could sound a bit different IMHO. Currently it is a bit like an action here.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

It is a little off the subject.(The trailer is good, Me chewsta!)but when there is this moment that the guard is being flashed and you jump onto the chandelier, it felt very wrong to me... The animation of hanging and then getting on it or the lack of little sway... it hit me in the eyes. The game broke immersion at this place.