The Dark Mod Forums

Which thief is better?

faintestidea

This is a bit of a loaded question around here.

The Dark Mod was partly inspired as a reaction to some of the negative aspects of T:DS.

You'll probably find most TDM fans are more fans of T1/T2 than T:DS (myself included).

That said, there is some cross-pollination of ideas between the two and I think both camps generally

like the paradigm of using "dynamic light and shadows"... which is a trade-off in both compared

to Thief 1/2/Gold use of static lighting.

With the source code hack (New Dark) for T1\T2, and the Sneaky Upgrade patch for T:DS (not to mention

the Minimalist mod) all these games are verging towards the ideal Thief experience. I recommend

that you seriously think about getting both as mission authors tend to stick with their preferred platform.

You generally "wont" see TD:S authors make TDM or T2 missions, for example.

Thank goodness for folks like ERH+ who don't mind trying both platforms!

(And, of course, our stable of veteran T2 mappers who jumped to TDM) :)

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Must admit that Thief 2 is my favourite of the three but from those choices, Thief Gold it has to be. Steam has the lot for £3.24 at the moment.

I also think that Thief: Deadly Shadows isn't as bad as it's made out to be but that's a can of worms in itself ;)

TFix is the must have mod.

Purah's and Skacky's missions are must have FM's.

That's the correct answer.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I would wait for the new Thief, the older ones are garbage they don't even include Focus (and I mean Garretts a Master thief c'mon) plus the graphics are REALLY bad.. those games look like they were made 10+ years ago. Plus they have this garbage voice actor and they let you jump whenever you want and shoot rope arrows wherever you want which COMPLETELY ruins immersion.

Just wait for the new Thief!

/sarcasm

My personal favorite (not just in the Thief series but out of every game i've ever played too) is Thief 2 but out of Thief 1/3 I definitely prefer Thief 3. Whilst Thief 1 is great I HATE the undead and halfway through Thief 1 it really started to feature way too many missions based around that whereas Thief 2 (and Thief 3) return more to the roots of just being Garrett and stealthing around living entities like a badass which is the playstyle I prefer.

Edited by TylerVocal

Thief II is IMHO the best part, followed by Thief I. I'm currently replaying Thief III, but there are a lot of aspects that are killing enjoyment, independent from whether one knows the first two parts or not.

Actually I liked the haunted mission. Especially if you play them the first time and don't know the weaknesses of the ai enemies, these missions are really creepy and have a lot of tension and immersion.

They were also quite challenging, as you could not knock out the zombies.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Thief 2 has more stealthy locations versus the many undead and pagans of Thief 1, probably a main reason why more people like it. See the classic Framed and First City Bank and Trust. On Thief Gold I just finished the Thieves' Guild - Gold exclusive.

So, does anyone know what good/major T2 FMs have been released in the past 2 years or so? I think I stopped paying attention after Mech Angelo / Snowball Fight! / Fables of the Penitent Thief.

Thief 2 has more stealthy locations versus the many undead and pagans of Thief 1, probably a main reason why more people like it.

That's weird. I've always thought that most people prefer the first part, at least I remember reading that somewhere.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I at least prefer T2 over T1 cause I don't like pagan undead and buricks that much...

so overall I'dd say:

Thief 2

Thief Gold

Thief 3

I'm not sure where exactly I'd place TheDarkMod... probably near Thief2...

edit: ho, and I'm pretty sure Thief 4 will be far behind any of theses games...

Edited by elwing

I'm pretty torn between Thief 1 and Thief 2. Both have great level designs and atmosphere. Thief 2 has the better story, but I hate how high tech it is. Thief 1 had some high tech stuff, but Thief 2 was a bit too much for me. Then again the great story of Thief 2 wouldn't work without the high tech machines. I thought that Thief 3 was pretty good, but it suffered from mediocre level designs. There were a few good levels though, and the story was about as good as the first Thief, and the atmosphere was as good as both the first and second games. If I had to choose between them, Thief 2 would narrowly beat out Thief 1.

ALL PRAISE KARRAS...and the builder.

Hahaha!!!

Edited by SirGen

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely not.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved