The Dark Mod Forums

Dark Mod translation

Friendly_Taffer

Hello guys,

I just thought that when The Dark Mod is going to be standalone soon, a lot of people will try it and they could eventually like it (more) if it was translated to their own language. I am from Czech Republic and could try to do translation of czech part, I also have a friend from Spain. My question is - do you guys have something like Text File with all menus? Then I can move onto translating FM's one by one.

"Menu and inventory name translations are complete for English, Danish, Italian, Czech, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, French, Spanish and German."

Here's a list of translations for all FMs:

http://wiki.thedarkm...tle=I18N_Status

See also general translation description:

http://wiki.thedarkm...nationalization

Edited by ERH+

S2wtMNl.gif

Okay, so I guess I can start with FM's. How can I extract all the text from FM's?

Before a FM can be translated, it needs to be put to the I18N format. Normally, all missions just store the strings the mapper placed in one file, which gets loaded independent from which language the player has selected in the menu.

The I18N format loads different files depending on the choosen languages. However, this has some downsides for the mapper if he is planning to work on the mission later on, for example to fix bugs or so. To sum it up it means more work for him.

Another point is that some mappers don't want the story to be corrupted by an inappropiate translation.

This is why it is always up to the mapper whether or not a mission is translateable or not. If the mapper wants this, the map gets converted and added to the page ERH+ linked. Then you can just write the mapper and say, "hey, I'd like to translate your mission to language XYZ".

So first check the list to see whether there are missions that still need a translation to a language you or someone else you know speaks, and inform the specific people that you are going to provide a translation for this fm.

It also doesn't hurt to check in the forum for other people sharing your mother tongue. I think we have quite a few Czech people around here. It's always good to have someone correcting your work or giving you input on the way things should be formulated.

• Like 1

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Im the one who did the Czech translation, if you can find any mistakes, plese let me know. Im also planning to continue with mission translations, but right now Im bussy with 2.0 betatesting.

He was sneeking silently in the night, moonlight was his enemy.

(Im not a native speaker, sorry for all miscleanous caused by my english..)

• 1 month later...

"Menu and inventory name translations are complete for English, Danish, Italian, Czech, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, French, Spanish and German."

Here's a list of translations for all FMs:

http://wiki.thedarkm...tle=I18N_Status

Is there an update availlable for the list of missions that are in need of translation?

The last update on the Wiki was in november 2012 !

And the link to the uploaded translations is not working either.

So,... in case anyone might be interested to help out, how would they possibly be able to tell which mission to work on?

Personally, I might be willing to do some german translation.

• Like 1