The Dark Mod Forums

Thief at Gamescom 2013

Kvorning

Garrett looks more like a pirate in that than a thief, all he needs is a blackjack that doubles as a peg leg, and a parrot, that squawk's about ships biscuits and black pearls. then he could hobble around the city and get ignored by all the guards.

Well, I sincerely like the whole united poor x opressive elite thing, the anti-neo liberal message of it (when the villain says that it is now time for progress and prosperity above all other concerns), I think thats a brilliant aproach and a bold one - specially at this time where the political realm is becoming more and more conservative, should be good to expose teens to the issue and the logic, even if this is just a piece of fantasy. I remember even in Thief 1 that it was a very new thing for me, to play a game where the character was a commoner, felt and understood the stigma of classes, and there was this lore about the ruthless nobility, detached from the world, and the rest, exploited, miserable. It was a cool storyline, gave you little remorse for taking things away from those that had amassed such an unfair amount for themselves, compared to everyone else.

To me Garrett was always a guy who is doing his own thing. I mean the whole poor vs. rich storyline is not bad, and it is quite actual, but in the trailer it sounds like Garrett would care about this problems quite a lot.

I wouldn't say the that the original Garrett wouldn't, but he hadn't expressed it that hard. He never was a hero, but it seems he should become one in the new part, what seems unfitting to me.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Well he's done favors for factions before, that doesn't mean he's got any interest in joining them. However, If he's blaming himself for Victoria's death, he may be revising his level of involvement one way or another. I doubt he's gonna put anyone's interest higher than his own, if there isn't a profit.

Gotta say I'm intrigued in how the story is gonna unfold. Then again, the story part is usually what draws me most in single players :)

well maybe they shouldn't have called the main character 'Garrett' and the game thief then they wouldn't have got such a huge backlash. It basically looks like they tried to do what crystal dynamics did for tomb raider, but there's more of original tomb raider in the remakes of tomb raider than what looks like original thief in thief.

The rich vs poor angle seems pretty generic and obvious to me. And there's nothing in this trailer to suggest a rich, unique setting like the original games. It all seems terribly...regular.

The rich vs poor angle seems pretty generic and obvious to me. And there's nothing in this trailer to suggest a rich, unique setting like the original games. It all seems terribly...regular.

Quite. In a medium now regularly claiming it has 'Citizen Kanes', most writing you find is generic, shallow, and offers nothing but the completely obvious. So repressing the poor is bad - who'da thought? It's a fine message, but could it be stated in a more ham-fisted way short of Baron McBadGuy kicking a starving little girl with pneumonia?

I mean, Deus Ex was hardly subtle about its messages, but it managed to do better through ''show, don't tell''. And Thief actually had some fairly thought-provoking ideas (such as casting a fanatical religious organisation as a force of progress, and giving them an actual, valid reason to behave like they did; or Garrett being an anti-hero who was his own worst enemy), and even had something to say about the rich without hammering it over your head.

The game industry will never have a 'Citizen Kane' as long as it (falsely) treats its consumers like dumb children. Or if it will have one, it will not be recognised (Grim Fandango? There was your Citizen Kane, dumbasses.)

• Like 1

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Surely all of you boys will agree that the game is likely being made mostly for teens of 12 to what, 16? Thats the age I got to play Thief, and a good public for this sort of story, with a relevant message, groundbreaking or not. They could go for a much different alternative, maybe a gangster style plot like GTA. That would be a departure. They are choosing to make it about a social issue and I think thas cool. Not a lot of games in my day that had that at all, beasides rpgs, but even then, very light. You are usually working for, a part of or risking your life to become part of the nobility.

Edited by RPGista

It seems like most games these days are dumbed down for the young while still being, "Rated M for Mature"... its such a sad state. They almost all say, "Rated M" and yet the games are clearly designed for <20 demo graphic.

Where are the adult games?

• Like 1