The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Lords & Legacy by Kvorning (2013/08/30)

Kvorning

Congrats young man,

I can honestly say even though this is Kvorning's first map you should not consider him a newbie by any stretch of the imagination. It was said that I was some sort of mapping prodigy when I first started mapping, well Kvorning has blown that little title into the weeds and slapped me a few times as he went past. This map is of sufficient calibre and mapping bling, that it would give mapping giants the likes of Grayman & Melan serious pause for thought..

You people are in for a treat, but do your selves a favour though. You'll need to watch where your going, so you don't bump into things while your gawking...

^_^

Thank you , looking forward to it! :smile:

Thank you all so much! I'm gonna play through the map a couple of times to make sure you get the best possible version next friday.

Bikerdude, that there is one hell of a kind review and I'm honestly a bit lost for words, but thank you!

Hadn't it been for you and the other guys in credits, I wouldn't have been able to put this map together in this time frame.

Must ... play ... this mission :ph34r:

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Looking forward to this release. Looks awesome.

From the screenies and descriptions so far here in this thread I can say It blows a lot of first maps out the water.

Congrats kvorning :rolleyes:

Can't wait ...

Laptop:Metabox P370SM3- Intel Core i7-4800MQ- 2x GTX780M SLI- 16G 1600Mhz- 500G Samsung mSata-1TB Hitachi HDD- 120Hz LG 1080p.Desktops:i75930k-2x GTX980 SLI-16G 2133Mhz-Evo120GSSD-Swift PG278Q1440p Gsync.Spare:AMD A10-7850K-APU-8G 1866Mhz-seagate 4TB-120G ssd. LoL Old:P75-1:1FSB-8M ram 512MB Maxtor HDD-1MB Cirrus Logic video chip-still got the parts somewhere?First PC-Tandy 512K Color computer.

@Diego: It's Friday in a week ;)

Hay Diego: Slow down man your living in the future :rolleyes:

Laptop:Metabox P370SM3- Intel Core i7-4800MQ- 2x GTX780M SLI- 16G 1600Mhz- 500G Samsung mSata-1TB Hitachi HDD- 120Hz LG 1080p.Desktops:i75930k-2x GTX980 SLI-16G 2133Mhz-Evo120GSSD-Swift PG278Q1440p Gsync.Spare:AMD A10-7850K-APU-8G 1866Mhz-seagate 4TB-120G ssd. LoL Old:P75-1:1FSB-8M ram 512MB Maxtor HDD-1MB Cirrus Logic video chip-still got the parts somewhere?First PC-Tandy 512K Color computer.

Hehe sorry, I didn't set my release date for a week in advance just to torture you. It keeps me from changing things forever, while still having a week to play the map myself and catch a few last minute bugs.

Oh and so that people with busy schedules, who've been waiting for it, are able to plan a bit ahead for a new map :)

It's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's FridayIt's Friday

• Like 1

It most certainly is Friday and the download link is now available!

Sorry for keeping you all waiting, but I can assure you it wasn't for nothing. Some good tweaks were done and a leak was found and sealed, improving performance in The Keep area.

Enjoy!

Played this mission for over an hour now. I'm not finished but I want to give some feedback.

Aesthatics:

As the screenshots already suggested, the look of the mission is very good. Especially the city part looks good. On the negative side is that you reused the same pre-made objects over and over again, what makes it a bit repetitive. Performance is another problem, but I had that problem in my first mission, too.

Most of the insides are well done, too. The towers of the brothers are a bit weird from an architectonical oint of view, though.

So from what I've seen so far I would rate this at 4 of 5.

Gameplay:

A bad message first. The letter objective didn't check as I've put the letter in the tresory, and I can't frob it anymore to retry it. In the towers, there are no aas areas on the stairs, what means that the ai can't follow the player if he is moving to another stage.

The climbing around on all those pipes is very funny. Also having some enterable windows is quite nice, but the way they can be entered could be a bit more different. I've checked the loot count for curiosity and gathering 5000 of 5600-5700 loot if I saw it right seems a bit high to me.

In such a big mission it would be good if the player would have all maps from the beginning. Some players like *exploring* a mission, but to me it often ends up as aimless wandering, what can get frustrating. Personal opinion, of course.

The amount of moveables, especially readables, that don't serve any purpose is quite high and sometimes confusing.

Overall I think this could be a solid 3 of 5, but I will replay it on a lower difficulty setting to check that.

Story/Readables:

Very well written and interesting. 5 of 5 so far.

Please don't take any of this contents too negative. It is a very good mission for a first attempt and shows a big potential. Take it as constructive criticism ;)

I will report back after I finished it.

• Like 1

Constructive feedback is always welcome!

You need to place both the letter and the heirloom before the objective completes.

I'd like to have written some background story about the construction of the district, which is the rationalization for the repetitive design. The idea is basically that rest of The Slums were torn down, and The Commons were build over short time, with modern, solid materials, but colder and trivial. Obviously living conditions are better in The Commons, but the people who moved in are mostly terrible, delusional and vain. They don't live in The Nobles Quarter, but they like to think so.

However as you say there are readables enough, and though some of the stories seems a bit of a side track, they all give hints about loot ;)

The stairs are a scourge indeed. To redesign them at this point would take too long considering my free time is about used up. If the map becomes popular enough, I could redo some for a later version. Honestly I'd rather do a new map with new concepts though.

The loot requirements also seem a bit high to me. I've turned them down once, but I think 2500, 3500, 4500 would be more suitable. However a lot of loot is with the lords, and are definitely worth robbing.

I was torn on the maps as well, but wanted the mission as one of those you "explore" with a sense of reward, when you discover something new. Getting an area map should be somewhat easy to find, but not unrealistically detailed with all apartments conveniently drawn. Problem is getting into the mind of the average player, and not the player I want to play it :)

I get your points and in retrospect I'd really like to have done a lot differently, but doing everything over each time I get better techniques, would be a never ending work for me.

Edited by Kvorning