The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Lords & Legacy by Kvorning (2013/08/30)

Kvorning

@ithel

Thanks, I hope you get to spend a lot of time playing it as a result ;)

Tracker 3127 points to some intentional DDS loading issues done by Carmack...

You make it sound like there's sabotage involved. I hope that isn't the case.:S

Edited by Kvorning

No, no sabotage. Carmack's attitude with the shadow algorithm was "meh, new computers will be fine

without the optimization". I can imagine he might've done the same with texture compression. There was

a lot of work to remove "proprietary" or 3rd party code from Doom 3 before GPL so it's likely that

a bunch of the replacement code was just slapped together in some places.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Hello Kvorning,

I must join the praising masses, because this praise is truly deserved :)

Hat´s off to anybody who´d build mission of this size and beauty as his first one! :o

I am one of the few lucky ones, who still has ghost intact, I´ve already finished the main objectives, but there are three thing I need help with:

1.) How do you go into sewers? Where´s the entrance? They seem inaccessible (not frobbable) from outside

2.)How do you find out the identity of the killer? I´ve only found that room with "ghost" sound and remains of the body right after the bard´s room (the one who´s the beloved one of a woman, which refused the wealthier patron)

3.) Where´s the room I should go to, to finish the mission?

Please, no cryptic hints, just plain answers :) Thank you.

Edited by Tarhiel

Hey thanks a lot and I'm super happy to hear you're enjoying the hell out of the mission, and that a lot actually want the Ghost objective. I wish it worked a bit better, but "Aluminumhaste" might have given me the solution to fix a couple of AIs, so it doesn't bug as much.

Fair enough, nothing cryptic (Yep, if you don't like spoilers, don't read the following):

You can get into the sewers from 3 points: The manhole cover just before the entrance to the keep, the apartment with the sleeping drunk guy and the apartment in the north-west Commons, where you finish the mission. It serves as a shortcut if you find it.

The finish room/apartment is at the bottom of the elevator.

"The Killer" hangs out in the room above, you need to find a chest with proof.

Edited by Kvorning

This FM is simply too much for me :D

It's a pure Thief like experience, it reminds me of The Thieves' Highway or Life of the Party.

Edited by lowenz
  • Like 1

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Thanks man :), I wish I could appreciate the reference, but I don't think I can remember the old missions by name. I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying it though!

No problem!

• Like 1

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

So I finally got my desktop computer up and running again and gave Lords and Legacy a whirl. What a nice mission; I haven't seen patchwork that complicated since playing BikerDude's missions. The only niggles I had were that the theme got a little bit monochromatic so that it became a little easy to be lost, the blurry see-through windows made it easy to be spotted by guards you couldn't see, and that narratively it seemed that the majority of the plot took place in a minority of the map (i.e. there was a lot of "filler" locations). But those are small things - the map looked *amazing*, played smoothly, and had a strong sense of place. Looking forward to you next fm Kvorning!

• Like 1

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

@Moonbo

Thanks man and don't worry, you're meant to get lost. I did several times during build ;) But you can pretty much

run in a straight line North, by using the compass

to get to the main objective.

I still hope to be able to get the windows a better sound wise, in 2.0, but the visual spotting is intended. If you break in, keep to the shadows, turn off the lights and stay away from windows.

I also wanted to reward the player for exploring, by putting in a couple of side stories which also have loot information.

@Florian

That's actually one thing I wouldn't give up. Easter eggs are no fun if you are lead to them. I would recommend hearing the tale of "The Boy and his game" by "Day9", if you're not familiar with it :)

Edited by Kvorning

Completed on the hardest difficulty and the only objective I didn't get was a Master Thief

A very complicated mission but beautifully done

A couple of detailed questions

The killer

I couldn't blackjack him but I assume a gas arrow would work or is he immune to that as well

One piece of loot which I couldn't find out how to get

I didn't buy any gas arrows and I used the one I started with to get the necklace in the tree in the foyer so is there any way of getting the loot on the ground floor of the apartments where the guard is without using a gas arrow

Edited by Oldjim

Glad to hear you made it through, and if that's the only one you didn't get, I can safely assume you took a long time to enjoy it and for that, thanks :)

He can indeed be gassed, which is also intentional. He's best avoided, but he patrols a lot and is attentive to light switches. The player has to decide if he wanna use a valuable arrow or avoid him. In other words, Anthony is a badass!

Another time where the player has to decide if it's worth the arrow. But I can confirm that it is indeed possible to use the shadows and carpets to circumvent the patrolling guard, grab the necklace (Awesome you found that one btw), and get back into the shadows, without alerting the elite guard. Did you spot it or find the readable?

Playing through again trying to get all the loot and a few points

This I think is specific to playing under 2 where the guards go on alert and because the keep alerting each other they never drop out of it. Note that ghost objective is still intact so I assume one or both of them heard me walking in the apartment block.

The result is as shown in this picture where the guard from the ground floor of the apartment block and the guard with the torch who normally walks about near the statues in the street are stuck here talking about finding the intruder

post-8491-0-83060200-1379885506_thumb.jpg

A difficult bit of loot to find

Also in this area I thought that there may be some coins on the statues or in the collecting bowl - I couldn't see any but frobbing at random I found two pieces of jewellery - perhaps they should be made a bit more obvious although with the guard stuck as shown above I had plenty of time to look

Finally congratulations on the devious clue in the readable in the slums

I kept wondering why the man wanted the guards to kill the birds as well as stop thieves. Having thought about it for a while I thought - magpies - and looked around for a nest which I found. Well done

Edited by Oldjim
  • Like 1

The Ghost objective fails the moment an AI reaches "alert level 5". When they are on 4 they have a strong suspicion that there's a criminal about, and are conducting an armed search. It's not until visual confirmation you will fail "Ghost", but:

Two AIs in The Commons are indeed too sensitive and will be fixed in next version, thanks to AluminumHaste

Some loot is found by visual indicators and subtle hints, while most hard to find are in readables.

The 2 rings on the statues are wedding bands and the sign should give a nice little sentimental background story for the player to build on himself :)

Awesome that you found the birds nest! Did you hear the sound triggers as well? It did bother me that a week after I made it, Thief showed their footage from E3, where both a birds nest with loot and a mission with a family heirloom was shown. Was either a funny coincidence or it's obvious elements in a stealth game.

This I think is specific to playing under 2 where the guards go on alert and because the keep alerting each other they never drop out of it.

I assume you mean you're playing using 2.00. AI should never "never drop out of it". They will take a while, sure, but they should no longer be feeding off each other and prolonging a search.

"The result is as shown in this picture where the guard from the ground floor of the apartment block and the guard with the torch who normally walks about near the statues in the street are stuck here talking about finding the intruder."

How long did they search?