The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Lords & Legacy by Kvorning (2013/08/30)

Kvorning

Finally getting a chance to play this so have just started when something strange happened.

This took place in the first patrolled corridor at the beginning of the mission. There is a guard with a torch and a civilian. I knocked out the civilian and proceeded to hide the body (in the rafters above him) by climbing up my rope arrow, going on to the board and throwing him - when he just disappeared. My blackjack showed back in my hand and he was no where to be found. See picture.post-3777-0-22124500-1379893446_thumb.jpg The circle is approximately where I was standing and the "x" was where I was trying to throw him.

I haven't read any posts just incase something not written in spoilers so don't know if anyone else has had this happen. Other than that I've had a great start and am enjoying.

I assume you mean you're playing using 2.00. AI should never "never drop out of it". They will take a while, sure, but they should no longer be feeding off each other and prolonging a search.

"The result is as shown in this picture where the guard from the ground floor of the apartment block and the guard with the torch who normally walks about near the statues in the street are stuck here talking about finding the intruder."

How long did they search?

And after 1 hour and 20 minutes they are still searching

post-8491-0-63379700-1379940128_thumb.jpg

Edited by Oldjim

Some loot is found by visual indicators and subtle hints, while most hard to find are in readables.

The 2 rings on the statues are wedding bands and the sign should give a nice little sentimental background story for the player to build on himself :)

Awesome that you found the birds nest! Did you hear the sound triggers as well? It did bother me that a week after I made it, Thief showed their footage from E3, where both a birds nest with loot and a mission with a family heirloom was shown. Was either a funny coincidence or it's obvious elements in a stealth game.

Re the statues

The problem there is that there are too many items in close proximity - the sign and the thing between them - the sign was too obscure for me but the main problem is getting close enough to the two statues to see the rings

Birds nest - no I didn't hear a visual clue - was there supposed to be a bird tweeting near the nest

The alert problem isn't that they were triggered too easily although they were it is that they never dropped out of alert

As an aside

as the guards were alerted and stood under the overhead passage without leaving it made getting the rings and the loot on the ground floor of the apartment block very much easier (I now have a spare gas arrow as I started with two)

Edited by Oldjim

Finished with all the loot - but it took a lot of searching in a logical order to make sure I had been everywhere

post-8491-0-21315100-1379970900_thumb.jpg

However the objective didn't trigger and on completion the other objectives didn't show up as complete

I only needed to cheat at the end to find the last bit of loot which wasn't bad - I missed one of the bottles in the wine cellar

One minor thing which needs fixing

At the bottom of the tower where the guards are playing cards one of them is sitting in fresh air

post-8491-0-16644400-1379971432_thumb.jpg

Overall an extremely good mission and there were only a couple of loot items where the readable was absolutely necessary

Edited by Oldjim

Well done! I'm really happy that someone wanted to get all the optional complete and if you already were at the bottles once, I don't think it's cheat to have missed one :)

I've tried fixing those guards but sometimes they just "push" the chair out on map start. I'll see if I can solve it in V.2.

Again, really impressive that you managed to get all objectives done, and I'm pleased to see that my mission kept you hooked for so many hours. Next mission I'm gonna be a total arse and add a "No knockouts" objective as well, for hardcore thieves like you ;)

I don't mind no blackjack as long as it doesn't turn into a major creeping round exercise which can be a real pain

One thing you might like to consider is the alert level when dousing a guard's torch with a water arrow - it seemed a little low although I don't know if that is changeable

To finish - I don't always try to find all the loot on missions as I tend to get bored hunting round for obscure and difficult locations but you seemed to have hit the right balance

Edited by Oldjim

One thing you might like to consider is the alert level when dousing a guard's torch with a water arrow - it seemed a little low although I don't know if that is changeable

Hitting the ai with the water arrow will put out the torch but will put him on alert. If you hit something above him and he doesn't see the arrow he won't be suspicious when the torch goes out. Just that it went out and is no longer useful and discards it.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

I like the balance of loot as well. Some items do need to be better hidden than the majority, to give the player a sense of reward for going out of his way. Pick pockets are troublesome, but a good lift also feels very rewarding imo.

Finished this up before supper and have to say very impressive. Congrats on your first mission.

I loved walking the "pipe" walkway made me feel very thiefy (is that a word lol) and loved the window flower box clues - very helpful. I managed to get two of the three optional objectives and maybe the ghost (it didn't show I failed anyways) at least the second time (will explain below). Your readables provided some good clues for the loot - they were clear but not give aways.

There were just a few places I had issues with:

One was the railing between the towers in the keep - I got stuck a few times climbing over it and had to no-clip to get out of it. The other issue was a ghosting spoiler - there was nothing that would stop the killer- I tried several times to knock him out, I gassed him 3 times and then I shot him with arrows (12 of them) in the head. These actions really put him on high alert. :o He was starting to remind me of a song by the group Boney M. :laugh:

On to my second playing sort of

After completing the main objectives I was on to search every nook and cranny as I am a thief who likes to get all the loot. I figured I'd keep looking until the objective checked off and then head for the end. After I had spent about an hour and a half searching, finding only a few more items it dawned on me that you had probably put loot in the end room so I headed there and the mission ended so I could not get the objective checked off. :( Using a previous save I went into the room and sure enough my hunch was right. So I loaded a previous save before main objectives completed and redid my search starting with the end room. Just a suggestion - maybe a note could be added to go there first to check it out or something. This didn't take quite as long to search as the first time because I knew where the loot I wanted was but still had guards to avoid all over again. I also hid in corners and dark spots while in the killers room. Lesson learned. :smile:

All in all I really enjoyed this mission and thank you for all your hard work!

Thank you very much and I'm glad to hear you had fun and went for the optional objectives as well!

Awesome that you took advantage of the pipes and also that the flower boxes serve their purpose. I added them in latest version and I'm thrilled that they work as intended! Good to hear that several of you found the clues to be useful, definitely gonna follow that style if I make another map.

Yeah there's a bit of flunky geometric getting the player stuck. Hopefully it was the only time you got stuck. Anthony is a badass. He's tough and fast with a keen eye for lights being off. Gas arrows are supposed to knock him out, but sometimes even when AIs are in the cloud they don't work. Personally I prefer to avoid him. He's scary you know. "Loretta" was initially based on a character in a Nick Cave song, but I decided that 1 evil commoner was enough. :P

A lot of you have hunted those optional objectives and really put in hell of an effort to get them, which is awesome. Without dumbing it down to a console style, I'm definitely gonna make them more achievable in the future, to avoid lackadaisical searching and hiding. Also would like to add a couple more.

It was worth the effort to make, as you guys are now spending hours playing and discovering all the little things. :)

Edited by Kvorning

Is there an easy way from

the small slum area to the commons everyone's on about , maybe I missed a corridor or something. Or do you have to use the ropes ( been up there a bit) or sewers?

If you head north, there's a connecting archway with two heavy metal barred gates, and an alternative route directly above it, behind the 2 windows.

ah ah ! Thank you found

the double gates before but in the dim light didn't proceed any further cos I assumed it was impassable !