The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Lords & Legacy by Kvorning (2013/08/30)

Kvorning

Ah, for some reason I was having trouble frobbing it. Now I'm just under 300 loot short, and although my ghost target is still good there seem to be an awful lot of excited people about now, so I suspect I should have failed the ghost target by now.

Glad I read this.

couldn't frob it myself for some reason and started wasting my time looking for the key.

Anyone else have the same difficulty as us , maybe you have to crouch or something to hi-light it?

@Raymeld

If it is the display case, then you can indeed only reach for the heirloom where the lid is open.

@Sir Taffsalot

Awesome that you enjoyed it and thank you so for the kind words. The amount of people who has had a good time playing it, has made all the effort worth it. I wouldn't say I'm already working on another FM, but let's just say there's an idea in a different direction ;)

I just noticed that even the latest version of this map has the super sensitive drunk actors:

// entity 3046

{

"classname" "atdm:ai_citywatch"

"name" "atdm_ai_citywatch_2"

"chanceOperateSwitchLights" "0.9"

"def_vocal_set" "atdm:ai_vocal_set_grumbler_drunk_01"

"drunk" "1"

"drunk_acuity_factor" "80"

"origin" "-360.686 2616.92 101"

"rotation" "-0.969451 -0.245284 0 0.245284 -0.969451 0 0 0 1"

"sit_down_slide_dist" "8"

"sitting" "1"

"team" "2"

// entity 3049

{

"classname" "atdm:ai_nobleman02_unarmed"

"name" "atdm_ai_nobleman02_unarmed_1"

"def_head" "atdm:ai_head08_commoner_blonde"

"def_vocal_set" "atdm:ai_vocal_set_base"

"drunk" "1"

"drunk_acuity_factor" "40"

"origin" "74 1712 102"

"sleeping" "1"

"team" "2"

}

That's supposed to be from 0-1 not 0-100.

0 being totally wasted and can't see anything, and 1 being not drunk at all, AFAIK. It's a multiplication of the acuity factor of the AI.

That was fixed at some point, but the changes weren't uploaded I guess.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Yeah I haven't released an updated version yet, as it's still missing some monsterclip in the towers to make the AI walk up stairs. The drunk thing and a few other bugs are otherwise fixed. I'll see if I can get the stairs fixed tonight, a promise is a promise after all.

Yeah I might as well let everyone know that V.2.0 is up, and thanks to Bikerdude and Greyman, it's been optimized more and insights has been bestowed ;)

v.2.0 changelog:

Bugs:

-Fixed various textures and surfaces and a few minor tweaks.

-Tweaked some sounds to be in line with TDM 2.0 changes.

-Fixed 2 certain AIs being too sensitive rather than drunk. (Thanks to AluminumHaste!)

-Tweaked LOD on some objects, to prevent windows "popping" in and out.

Gameplay:

-Added more monsterclip to the towers, so the AI can now run up and down stairs. Only the stairs in the small tower has issues still.

-Added more monsterclip in the city so the guards can follow you up all stairs.

-Added a few minor details.

-Windows in the city now dims sound, resulting in less aggro from guards and more convincing soundscape.

-Reduced 'draw calls' in all the large areas, increasing performance. The map is still heavy at certain areas.

Another big thanks to 'Bikerdude' and 'Greyman', for taking time out of their own schedules to help optimize the map's draw count and other significant adjustements!

• Like 1

I'm still on the old version, and I have two questions.

Can you not blackjack the helmeted guards? I tried it, even watching AluminumHaste's video, but I just couldn't manage it. Eventually I ended up doing something much better, but I spent a good 15 minutes trying to blackjack out one guard.

How the hell do you open the safe in the center of Robert's room? I tried throwing a bust at it, shooting a fire arrow, lockpicking it, finding the key somewhere around the room, checked the room for a hidden switch, but all of it to no avail. I even woke up Robert, then blackjacked him so I could check him thoroughly for a key.

• Like 1

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Digits, Ratio, 16, 1618, or whatever really, as long as it's not Phil.

This was a really enjoyable mission. It gives off that T2 "Life of the Party" vibe.

I especially liked the murderer, who was the most paranoid AI I have ever encountered. Trying to outsmart him and open that one special chest was really tense, and the result... well... However, there seems to be one slight issue with TDM AI - sometimes it's easier to escape them when they are alerted and actively searching for the player, as they are usually overobsessed with that one point where they think he should be. It was obvious with the cannibal - if you step back into the shadow next to the kitchen sink, it's easy to escape your pursuer, as his eyes are fixed on the chest and its general vicinity.

This was a really enjoyable mission. It gives off that T2 "Life of the Party" vibe.

Here's another one :D

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

I'll give lockpicking another shot, but it wasn't working for me (no sound, or visuals), no indication of anything happening. I looked all over the room for the key. I suppose it's somewhere in one of the towers? Does someone have it on their person?

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Digits, Ratio, 16, 1618, or whatever really, as long as it's not Phil.

Still awesome to hear people go out of the way for the main objective to solve the additional ones :)

There's indeed no key for the display case, I wanted the main objective to be a bit more intense than just one click to open. Lock picking is the only way.

I'd still strongly recommend the latest version if any of you start over.

Yeah, I figured it out. Thanks for the help.

...and I finished the mission as well. Here are my spoilery thoughts:

I had a bit of trouble finding enough loot (even though I only played on Medium), but it turned out alright when I found out guards were carrying 50 gold each

AI sitting on chairs was super glitchy, I managed to loot the three guys playing guards by just shooting out the light with a water arrow and going around them. They were stuck in the chair, so I was free to do as I pleased. I also saw AI sitting in the wrong direction (ie. legs through the back of the chair)

Below those three guards were another two. One was stuck in a chair, and I swear the other dude had night-vision goggles on. I shot out the lights, but every time he saw me, so I ended up shooting a fire arrow in his face. My only kill. In general, what's up with the keep being super light? My light gem was never really dark while I was there, despite sometimes being in closed off rooms with no apparent light source. I got spotted outside a couple of times due to this as well (though with reloads I managed to ghost the mission).

Another bug I encountered was when I accidentally woke up Robert, and he started running around and fell into the floor halfway. Reload made sure he stayed asleep.

Oh, one more bug. The archer in the apartment building on the fourth floor, west side. I opened the door, he noticed it and came to close it. Then I closed it before him, and he started running into me, but I didn't get detected.

So overall I encountered a lot of bugs, but fortunately none of it was super annoying. Performance was kind of poor in some areas (especially in the apartment building where the noise from the outside would just switch on and off haphazardly, and the outside of the keep, but the design and storytelling was outstandingly done, the objectives were clear without being super hard and it was just a good FM overall. Thanks!

Glad you enjoyed it and cool that you completed it as well, but if you were playing on an older version then I got a hard time relating to the bugs I'm afraid :P Have you checked the change logs up to v.2.0 to see if the bugs you encountered weren't corrected? AI for one has been severely improved :)

I played this FM just yesterday, and I must say I'm very impressed, I really like this one, congratulations Kvorning!

The whole map is divided very nicely, there are many places and homes to enter for some quality thieving, the streets are very gorgeous and the Keep is very well put together.

I also like the verticality on the streets, especially in the Commons, it really gave the impression that we play as a thief.

I entered the Keep's courtyard from the right side, and managed to climb the back wall to Robert's tower. This was a really nice touch, I really hoped that there will be some way through the back of the Keep :) From there on, it was a joy to do the objectives. The Keep interiors are fantastic as well, I really liked Robert's and Lancel's difference in style and colors. I managed to get all the loot I needed in the tower, as soon as I placed the letter and the heirloom in the safe, I escaped through the way I entered. So I didn't see the Keep's other half and the other rooms, that remains for another playthrough :)

Also, I did find a nasty bug, nothing too serious, but it's noticable:

There is a room that connects the Slums and the Commons up in a house, way above the streets. From that corridor you can climb outside (in the Slums), and immediately enter another corridor through a window. There's a part in this room that literally has no wall, I can see outside to the streets, and a big box is just clipping through it.

Edited by beyondthesun

Also, I forgot to mention this!

The bale of hay just outside the back entrance beyondthesun mentioned. I was looking down at it from the castle wall, thinking: well, it's worth a shot. I jumped and took no damage! Made me laugh. Very nice touch, almost felt like a reference to the Assassin's Creed franchise.