The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Lords & Legacy by Kvorning (2013/08/30)

Kvorning

You need to place both the letter and the heirloom before the objective completes.

I did that, and only the second objective got checked.

Regarding the stairs. I allready thought that it may be a consequence of an early done design desicion. I mean, it is not a game breaker, it just easens the things to the player. But with time comes experience :)

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Hmm should be a fluke, try nudging the letter or crown further in with another object. I'll make sure to fix it in a future version, so it doesn't happen even rarely though. I forgot they are on seperate objectives though, but if you throw them in, you're sure they get placed. I tried carefully placing it, and it does indeed get dropped before completing. More early design I suppose. It's using 2 scripts or stims to drop and complete, rather than one.

Edited by Kvorning

You've put the pk4 in a zip file btw. This is not neccessary. Just upload the pk4, TDM will extract the neccessary files by itself. There is already one person who didn't noticed that. And if you're going to reupload it, please remove the sys.println commands from the script, they are filling up the whole console.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Mirror

(updated to v1.0.3)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17706561/lordsnlegacy.pk4

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17706561/lordsnlegacy.pk4

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Just started in the slum area and a couple of comments

walking along the ropes is very difficult - I kept falling off

A glitch with the ghost objective

In the bedroom in the slums waking the sleeping man who attacks doesn't fail the objective

post-8491-0-62310900-1377884433_thumb.jpg

post-8491-0-78508300-1377884445_thumb.jpg

Edited by Oldjim

Working on fixing the objectives thing and a couple of other things, so it works correctly every time. I'll upload a new version soon, without the zip :)

The ropes have a slick surface to simulate walking on a "slack line". They are supposed to be difficult but once you get the hang of the "slide", then they can actually be quite fun :P

The Ghost objective fails sometimes if you bump into someone even if the AI doesn't actually go to alert level 5. It's just a bug in the game I suppose, and a good reason it's optional and not mandatory.

Awesome thanks man :) I've uploaded a new version, this time without all the .zip nonsense. Just the .pk4 :P

v.1.0.1 Changelog:

Bugs:

-Fixed an issue with the main objectives not being in "sync".

-Fixed console spam from a script

Gameplay:

-Adjusted required loot for each difficulty from "3000, 4000 and 5000" to "2500, 3500 and 4500".

I'm moving to a new apartment this weekend or I'd be playing this right now. Looks like you're quick on fixing the bugs too, but if I could offer a small suggestion based on what I've read:

The idea of making the ropes frictionless w/ the slick texture seems like a pretty bad idea to me since you wouldn't normally assume that ropes are slick surfaces, unless you warn the players about it first. For example, having a readable next to the ropes mentioning how they're iced up or something, that way the player knows what he's getting into instead of getting surprised by the level designer. You might have done this already though, so if you have, nevermind :-).

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

Yeah Obsttorte has already let me off the hook so I don't have to fix everything, but I honestly cannot leave bugs alone I can fix :)

You're the third to mention the ropes, so there's definitely something to it. They feel too solid if you can just run around freely on them though, so I think I'm gonna put a heads-up in the readme about it.

Edited by Kvorning

Wow, This is AMAZING, especially for a first-time mission release. I love the way you're actually pushing what the engine can do...

The way all of the windows are environment-mapped makes the environment seem much more real. It has always bugged me how in many TDM missions, windows are just painted textures. I especially like how so many of them are translucent and you can see on the other side, into buildings and out of buildings.

The way you made water come out of the pipes and run down hills was impressive as well.

The sound is just as good as the visuals; the world sounds alive.

Edited by lost_soul

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

Anyone else noticed the ambient sound in the player_start area? Its been in many many FM's and I've never heard this before, but for some reason I can here this "clip clip" regularly when the sound loop repeats. Never heard that before. Anyone else hear this? Is it because of volume? :(

@lost_soul

Glad to hear you're enjoying the mission and that the ambiance didn't go unnoticed :) A lot of nick-picking went into the sounds, and my only regret is how it pops in and out around the transparent windows. When TDM 2.0 is out, I'm gonna make sure to check for compatibility and have all windows sound_loss work correctly for the player.

@PranQster

Take your time, it wouldn't be any fun if you couldn't play it when you want to :)

@Lux

It could be an EAX issue, not sure. Try turning it off and see if there's a difference.

Edited by Kvorning

What about that trick where you have a flat image behind the window of the outer surroundings, and you open the VP as the player gets close to the window. I wonder how noticeable this is compared to stuff just jumping in when the player gets close. Perhaps its a suggestion for a future map. Also, perhaps a proceedure like this can be scripted in DarkRadiant. i.e.: You flag a window as translucent and the program automatically generates a flat image to display in the window when the portal is closed.

Edited by lost_soul

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

Cubemaps has already been a consideration, but the area is already very performance heavy, and compared to The Keep, it still runs smoother. I will try to tamper with visuals and audio for a later version, but I don't think I'm gonna be able to squeeze much more out of the big open areas.

FAN tastic mission Kvorning. This mission should silence all the people that say most TDM mission are too short and too easy!! You have made a masterpiece sir. But I am stuck where does the Vault/safe key go?? Not sure what it is called. I look all over the display case and the room where it is with no luck.

Thank you very much, I hope there's still room for further exploration without it getting too trivial :)

I'd like to tell you where to go, but that would be cheating wouldn't it? All I can say is, the brothers don't share a tower. Well I could say more, but I'm sure you wanna figure it out on your own :) Every locked door can be picked though, keys just makes it a bit faster.

Lords & Legacy v.1.0.1

v.1.0.1 Changelog:

Bugs:

-Fixed an issue with the main objectives not being in "sync".

-Fixed console spam from a script

Gameplay:

-Adjusted required loot for each difficulty from "3000, 4000 and 5000" to "2500, 3500 and 4500".

Sorry you had to down the difficulty... but nothing drastic it seems; maybe even a good thing, though I doubt it.

Anyway, my congrats and thanks for this already well-received mission!

And anyway anyway, would you say that the v1.0.1 is looking pretty final as far as maintenance? I want to get to this but would rather wait a bit if there are pending pendings. Thanks again!

Thank you very much but you can go ahead and play it whenever you'd like to. I won't make any other changes for weeks at the earliest. Sorry for the confusion and inconvenience:)

Edited by Kvorning

Thank you very much but you can go ahead and play it whenever you'd like to. I won't make any other changes for weeks at the earliest. Sorry for the confusion and inconvenience:)

Absolutely no reason at all to be sorry! No confusion or inconvenience at all either.

I just wanted to be sure that there was nothing pending (outside of aesthetics, which is surely sweet but oh-so-secondary) as far as this mission stands. You see, I am almost positive I will play it "out of order" and do therefore run the risk of "breaking it"*

I shall go with v1.0.1! Thank you.

*It's usually what I do with all beautiful/open games. (It's why I appreciate, for one particularly outstanding instance, the Mass Effect series for keeping things seemingly open and yet keeping me from {utterly} screwing it to hell... because, well, I did screw it up and down; but I gotta say it held together pretty well. {And the end didn't bug me as much as I was told it should, btw!)

I downloaded from this link. Is this 1.01?

Cause I put both the letter and heirloom crown in the safe and only got the "heirloom" objective checked off.

The sound clipping must have been a "my system" thing cause when I reloaded to play this morning it was not occuring again. It isn't an EAX issue because that is disabled in my sound options and my onboard doesn't support it.

On to the mission comments!

Wow just...wow. Massive areas that didn't feel massive until you wandered around enough and thought to yourself, "man these levels are huge". The proportions were excellent, properly sized rooms, streets, etc. Everything felt very habitated, lived in, etc. Great lighting all around. I could have done with a few more particle effects in the interior window moonlighting but I understand there were probably some performance limitations.

The main story felt good, contiguous. Other little readables scattered about were good in aiding the player where to search for things, although for some reason I found most the loot prior to reading the hints, save for the broach under the door with the readable lying on the door handle.

The architecture was supreme. Along the lines of Melan and Bikerdude. Very enjoyable, lots of alternate routes, very "real" feel to the entire map and great continuity through the sections.

I did find the city winows a bit overwhelming at times. Some opened and some didn't and I felt like I had to check every one that was accessible but I felt like I had to get on with the main story and accomplish what I came there to do. It was sometimes difficult to discern whether a window would open or not and a few times found myself climbing all the way up to something that appeared openable but in the end, was not openable. So a little frustration there but definitely not enough to spoil the over arching excellence that you achieved here, Kvorning.

A couple things that may have been missed (or were spotted?) in beta testing. The second floor of Roberts Tower, there is one of the large windows on the wall that is completely black no matter your distance from it. That was the only thing I found really odd. The readables need some editing for grammar and sentence structure. Lastly there is some z-fighting on the overlapping book cases in the library area of the tower since the book cases are all "end to end" and don't allow for direct adjoining. Seen this in a number of missions. Seems we need some book cases that have both nice moulding and finishes and also can be stacked and butted together without this occuring.

Overall in the editing department, nothing game/story breaking aside from the main objective that wouldn't complete which I believe you've fixed though I thought I downloaded the 1.01 .pk4 but I guess I didn't.

Sincerely, a very enjoyable and oh my god, for a first FM attempt... we are definitely in for a treat in the future. :)

Now I have one more top FM designer added to my list. Thanks!

Oh, and I also enjoyed the easter eggs

The two I caught were the Silence of the Lambs reference in the readable regarding, Chianti and Fava beans and "let me pick your brain"... haha! Very funny and then of course the guest book in the base floor of Roberts Tower.

Edited by Lux