The Dark Mod Forums

Question with tfix

faintestidea

I read that you shouldn't install tfix to your thief gold if it's in program files/steam. How would I move the game out so I could install tfix? I've never moved a game out so I'm totally lost

Edit>: Just read as long as as I shut down steam and disable updates it will work as is. Is that true?

Edited by faintestidea

Yes, that is true. Steam doesn't really do anything draconian to protect the Thief files and TFix has it's own thief.exe anyway so

all it needs is the assets. You could locate your Thief folder under steam and copy it to another place on your hard drive then run

TFix. In fact, as long as you don't perform file validation against that directory in steam you shouldn't even need to move it.

Not sure if that can be disabled in the latest Steam versions so I'd opt for option A.

• Like 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

One of my Thief 2 installations is the Steam version and I do have the unofficial patch installed on it right now.

I haven't had to move that one to a different location so far. I just disabled automatic updates and it has behaved just fine thus far (and I'm not sure if that's needed either). Even starting it from Steam works fine with the unofficial patch.

I don't currently have a Steam version of Thief Gold installed (the one I'm using right now is from a physical disk), but I'm guessing it should work fine as well.

For me, patching Thief 2 in the Steam directory worked, while patching Thief Gold in Steam directory failed, i had corrupted menus when i tried that. When i copied the Thief Gold folder to another location (no need to move it really, you can just copy it wherever you want to), it worked fine.