The Dark Mod Forums

Microsoft buys Nokia mobile business.

lost_soul

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/09/03/microsoft_buys_nokia/

Anybody else concerned about the following scenario playing out?

How to destroy Android ---

Step A: Buy a bunch of patents, or a bunch of companies that hold relivant patents.

Step B: Go around intimidating Android-powered hardware makers with said patents to get them all to buy "licenses".

Step C: Offer an alternative OS to android (Windows 8x) and make it cheaper for the hardware makers to use than the "free" Android.

Step D: Watch as companies switch back to using some form of Windows because it is now cheaper than Android.

Step E: There is no step E. Welcome back to the late 1990s.

• Like 2

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

W8M it's a good OS, BTW, but it's really incredible that all the board and investors of Nokia cannot stop the plan made by MS years ago to buy Nokia. Elop was a 100% Ms man, everyone knows about it. A lot on engineers left Nokia years ago after Elop decided to abandon MeeGo project that was a GOOD rival of Android *and* W8M. All was predicted, a lot of smart guys said that years ago about elop and MS plan. It's a shane that NOBODY, also inside the company, cannot stop this.

And now, IMHO, this is also the end for the Qt platform. Really bad day, for me.

Our country media: huge coverage. End of an era in Finnish industry.

Lots of ppl predicted this. Elop was identified as wolf among lambs years ago. Nokia phones sold to ms for rediculous underprice. Elop will be rewarded for this by microsoft. Balmers position eventually?

On the other hand nokia stock price increasing at present. Problem is... What WILL they sell in the future if not phones? Networks and patents? Longevity unknown.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Our country media: huge coverage. End of an era in Finnish industry.

Lots of ppl predicted this. Elop was identified as wolf among lambs years ago. Nokia phones sold to ms for rediculous underprice. Elop will be rewarded for this by microsoft. Balmers position eventually?

On the other hand nokia stock price increasing at present. Problem is... What WILL they sell in the future if not phones? Networks and patents? Longevity unknown.

Elop fucking killed the N9. That's where it all went down. If Nokia had moved to a Free Software OS-based smartphone line they would've gotten ahead of Android and recapture a sizeable part of the market.

Welp, what's done is done. Anyone here hyped for Jolla?

Elop fucking killed the N9. That's where it all went down. If Nokia had moved to a Free Software OS-based smartphone line they would've gotten ahead of Android and recapture a sizeable part of the market.

Subscribe.

Meego/Maemo could be a great competitor for Android. N9 was *great* phone.

Welp, what's done is done. Anyone here hyped for Jolla?

I like JollaOS, and also Ubuntu Edge it's a very good project, pity crowdfund cannot handle the project to be reality.

• 7 months later...

http://www.theregist...oft_buys_nokia/

Anybody else concerned about the following scenario playing out?

Nope. I think Microsoft destroying Android is a pretty utopic scenario. Apple tried so often, and failed so hard. How would Microsoft succeed with such a small mobile device market share? Even if every 2nd device would come with Windows Mobile, it's all about what sells. And now they bought a company which, in the last 15 years, has gone from top to sh**. I don't see how that would change things really.

Edited by chk772

Yes, their primary problem at this point is getting consumers to choose Windows phone. Most of the people I know have Iphones, and the more tech-oriented folks use Android. In order to complete phase D, they will need a sizeable chunk of the market first. After all, manufacturers won't build something that isn't popular

I don't really know how they can accomplish this.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

Yep. That's also the problem with Ubuntu Touch, which will hit the market soon. I really like it from what i saw in videos, but i wonder how they want to accomplish a decent market share. Especially as they will probably start with expensive high end hardware. And to sell these, you either should have a name for deluxe hardware, which Ubuntu hasn't, or you should have made yourself a name in the business yet, which Ubuntu hasn't either. It's difficult...