The Dark Mod Forums

Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs

Loa4ever

I've played a demo of one of there earlier games quite a while ago. It was quite creepy and entertaining (beneath some technical issues), and from what I've heard all of their games seem to be quite good, so I guess this will be, too.

If it does not require steam or similar, I will buy it.

• Like 2

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I'll buy it for sure.

I like Penumbra series and Amnesia, I'm a fan (also if these are not perfect games). Frictional has to be rewared also for making their games totally crossplatform.

• Like 1

Having played (not finished) it for two nights I have to say it's not as good rsp. terrifying as The Dark Descent. That game had you on edge almost all of the time. These moments of terror still exist but it's mostly just unnerving.

Since you're relatively relaxed for a good part of the time it becomes apparent that Amnesia is a very simple game and it is even more simplified here. It's more linear, the puzzles are easy, you don't have an inventory anymore and you don't need to worry about running out of oil for your lamp or losing your sanity in the darkness.

The only challenge is to force yourself to move on through the really scary parts but that doesn't happen to often.

It's still a good game but it doesn't reach its predecessor.

For something a little less claustrophobic you can increase your FOV from the default 70 to something higher. The value is edited in the game.cfg file which is in the "config" folder in the main "Machine for Pigs" directory.

90-100 seems about right depending on screen size. Either is better than the default, IMO.

Ok,completed it

Its the one of the worst horror games I ever played,it was made by the same scum who made that lousy game where you need to walk through the empty island and listen to the boring poetry.

New Amnesia game is almost the same - you walk through boring envoirment and listening to the main character complains,there is barely any AI or threats or puzzles and flashlight casts no shadows !!! Its a horror game of 2013 and flashlight casts no shadows ! WTF ? Xbox1 version of Doom 3 had dynamic shadows ! How the hell they were going to scare anyone if theres no dynamic/flashlight shadows ?

• Like 1

Proceed with caution!

"Having played (not finished) it for two nights I have to say it's not as good rsp. terrifying as The Dark Descent. That game had you on edge almost all of the time. These moments of terror still exist but it's mostly just unnerving.

Since you're relatively relaxed for a good part of the time it becomes apparent that Amnesia is a very simple game and it is even more simplified here. It's more linear, the puzzles are easy, you don't have an inventory anymore and you don't need to worry about running out of oil for your lamp or losing your sanity in the darkness.

The only challenge is to force yourself to move on through the really scary parts but that doesn't happen to often.

It's still a good game but it doesn't reach its predecessor."

I started playing yesterday and didn't finish yet too and like yourself Baal I must say you are right. I am disappointed. I wasn't expecting to be Daniel's story again, but with the same fear that did in the first game. On other hand I think I understand why insanity here doesn't work. It could work if they could find a way to do it right. I remember in the first game I learn a precious lesson... CLOSE all the doors around you. I did that in this second game but it seems in vain. I'm not sure if I should continue playing or just to stop, because fear here seems not existing.

Edited by Loa4ever

Damn, that's too bad. I didn't finish it, but Amnesia was a good game (as long as you remove the teeth grinding sound effect). Too bad they changed their approach. Guess they had to pay the bills?

More or less. What I heard was "We were too busy making other stuff, so we let someone else make our game". That's what I got out of it.

I haven't made it too far yet, but I got to refueling the truck, and just... off. turn game off, I'm too much of a pansy for these games, lol. Being not completely desensitized from fear or general emotion yet in todays world, this game scares the piss out of me, just as much as original Amnesia. The lack of inventory and inability to run out of things that make fire and light certainly doesn't help the game though. Also there is a completely horrible disconnect in the players mind between moveable and static objects. The placement is totally random, and about 85% static.

For what I read, compared to TDD, it was a disappointment for the fans, especially puzzles.

As in...

"Don't bother me with puzzles. Puzzles no good! Leave them outta my horror"?

or

"These puzzles are no challenge. I need something more than just wallowing in horror. Yet all I'm left with is this drudging horror!"?

Damn, that's too bad. I didn't finish it, but Amnesia was a good game (as long as you remove the teeth grinding sound effect). Too bad they changed their approach. Guess they had to pay the bills?

A Machine For Pigs is a kind of offshoot venture. It's another team (The Chinese Room) behind it and doing their own thing - they've borrowed the tech, but it's their idea of what they want to make rather than Frictional Games' (who made The Dark Descent). I'm sure Frictional are busy working on their next big thing and it'll be a Frictional Games project proper.

I've yet to try Pigs, but I think you've got to take it for what it is: a small team experimenting with what can be done with story telling and mood in that new fangled interactive video game format. Probably the puzzles aren't the best and the tech isn't exactly next gen, but it's not like you're paying $60. So sit back and try to enjoy the story and sound design instead.

Edited by jay pettitt
  • Like 2

I've just played the demo of Amnesia: The Dark Descend. Unfortunately they don't seem to sell this in a boxed version in german stores, because I definetely would like to see the whole game.

However, I think some of those thinks I've seen in the demo would fit in a TDM haunted mission as well. And a lot of those could be scripted quite easely. I especially like the idea of a limited oil lamp and that you are slowly going insane in the darkness. This would give a good contra to the ordinary stealth mechanics. On the one side you want to stay in the dark to be unseen, on the other hand it hurts your mind which may cause other problems or threats for the player.

Definetely worthwile thinking about how to use this features in a TDM mission.

• Like 1

Amnesia: The Dark Descend. Unfortunately they don't seem to sell this in a boxed version in german stores, because I definetely would like to see the whole game

I thought like that too once but I changed my mind. I have to many game boxes around already and it's just a waste of space. You can buy the game online without any drm and I think it's much better installing it from an external drive (or wherever you choose to store it) than a slow disc drive.

I'm a bit traditonal in that respective. I have tons of books, movies, games and music CD's, and I prefer it that way. Of course it needs some space, but if I spend money for something I want to have the feeling that I possess it. I would also never buy an e-book. It's just something different if you phisically hold something in your hands.

I guess this can be compared to sex and masturbating. From the latter you gain the same result, but it's not the same anyways ;)

I just finished it and I have to say, what a truly bizarre story. Quite enjoyable. A bit linear but they were telling a story, it is in the forefront and it was an enjoyable experience.

I think they priced it right and I think this was a good milestone for their team.

Others saying this game isn't as good as The Dark Descent are correct but I don't think the two games are comparable. They're totally different in what they set out to achieve.

This was very interesting indeed and I'm looking forward to The Chinese Room's next release.

I'm a bit traditonal in that respective. I have tons of books, movies, games and music CD's

I feel that way with music. But I only want to (physically) own very few books or movies. It's the content that counts not the storage medium. And I think ebooks are a great idea as soon as you can get them without copy protection. But that's off topic.

Congratulations on using the word "masturbating" in an Amnesia thread. :)

what a truly bizarre story.

I like the story as far as I understood it but when the actual game falls short it's better to write a book instead.

I started playing Amnesia: TDD last weekend. I heard good things about this so I was looking forward to it. Unfortunately I felt a bit dissapointed. TBH I'm finding the whole exerience rather dull. All the levels look the same. No variation. The monsters are a piece of piss to avoid. The atmosphere is creepy but never changes. This lack of variation just makes it feel very repititve. Plus the puzzles are not engaging. I don't have to think to solve them. I have to find various machine parts to get things to work. The parts are in places where it's only a matter of time when I find them. I can just run around the levels and I will just stumble upon them with time. I certainly won't be checking out A Machine for Pigs.

I really don't enjoy playing computer games anymore. The last game I enjoyed was Dishonored which was exactly a year ago. I enjoy making TDM FMs much more than playing games these days. if it wasn't for TDM I honestly think I would have given up on computer games entirely.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

I really don't enjoy playing computer games anymore. The last game I enjoyed was Dishonored which was exactly a year ago. I enjoy making TDM FMs much more than playing games these days. if it wasn't for TDM I honestly think I would have given up on computer games entirely.

I have similar thoughts, although I *DO* enjoy playing occasionally and there are some really good games out there. But ultimately, when all the day's obligations have been passed and completed... It is somehow so much more fun and rewarding to CREATE rather than CONSUME.

Playing the dumbed-down and simplified games the industry has to offer nowadays can often be somehow mindless: repetitiveness, no challenge, no satisfaction of winning, because the game was designed to be easy... Creating something new is never mindless and it activates my brain most wonderfully.

• Like 1

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I have similar thoughts, although I *DO* enjoy playing occasionally and there are some really good games out there. But ultimately, when all the day's obligations have been passed and completed... It is somehow so much more fun and rewarding to CREATE rather than CONSUME.

Playing the dumbed-down and simplified games the industry has to offer nowadays can often be somehow mindless: repetitiveness, no challenge, no satisfaction of winning, because the game was designed to be easy... Creating something new is never mindless and it activates my brain most wonderfully.

This is very true. I also think it's because I've sepnt the last few years makings FMs for TDM, I now play games in the mindset of a game designer and not a gamer. I think about how I would design the level, how i would write the story, how I would design the puzzles instead of just alowwing myself to be immersed without questioning every single detail. I have no regrets though. TDM mapping has been extremely rewarding and as I already said, I honestly believe I would have given up on computer games by now if not for TDM mapping.

Edited by Sir Taffsalot

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

I guess consumption is doomed to always loose its facination over time.

If there is a sense in life, then it is to create something. In germany there is a proverb that goes like: Build a house, plant a tree, make some kiddies.

That's the way of life. :)

The last game I've really enjoyed was Sins of a Solar Empire. I love Space since my childhood :)