The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Vengeance for a Thief Part 2 by Sir Taffsalot (06/09/2013)

Sir Taffsalot

19 members have voted

1. 1. Appearance

2. 2. Gameplay

• Bad
    • Could be better
    • O.K.
    • Good
    • Perfect
  3. 3. Story

• Bad
    • Could be better
    • O.K.
    • Good
    • Perfect

I can't go any further, good mission so far but the use of non-shadow casting light in areas that they shouldn't be used is making the game unnecessarily difficult. For example:

post-529-0-63588100-1378495556_thumb.jpg

post-529-0-67301500-1378495560_thumb.jpg

And a lot of the spots you use these lights, there's no reason too as the performance isn't that bad. I'm finding light bleed through all over the place. I hide against a wall and get spotted by a guard, even though I should be in total darkness, but wasn't because the light on the other side of the wall was bleeding through etc.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

There were some very bad performing places in the museum, that's why I've set a lot of lights to noshadow. The light's on the street I think I'd never touched, though. However, in your screenies you can very clearly see that there is light, and you have a lightgem. ;)

The first shot however does not look "unneccessary difficult" to me, as there are plenty of shadows.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I agree about these lights. There's no reason they shouldn't cast shadows.

Maybe I'm to tired right now but I am having a hard time reading the maps. Where's north on them?

Edit: Oh and why don't you have the lantern? Is that intentional or just an oversight?

Edited by Baal

No, there was no lantern in the first place (and I don't think you need one in this mission). The lights weren't the main reason for the performance problems, but setting some of them to noshadows helped improving the performance. As said, I can't remember setting the street lights to noshadows, but as you can clearly see that there is no shadow casted, ... well.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

So far I'm really enjoying the mission.

The Inn had a very cool layout and felt alive with people. The twists and turns of the city streets felt like a good old fashioned Thief level. I really enjoyed the architecture of the buildings; they were fun just to look at :smile: The museum looks really cool too, but as soon as I entered it, my performance started to drop. This is the first time that a TDM level has done this for me. Any ideas on how to improve frame rate performance?

I'll have a look at those lights and upload a fixed version. This will probably have to wait unti tomorrow.

With regards to the perfomance, I don't think anything can be done. Obsttorte kindly went through the map during beta-testing and added some more visportals which helped with the performance. This is probably as good as it gets tbh.

With regards to the lantern, I honestly can't think of a reason as to why you would need one for this FM. If you want I'll add one to the inventory when I sort the lights out.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

Finished!

I really like the Museum part, awesome. IMHO not so good the city part (in the beginning), it's too empty ad without life, also as noted by others, the lightning was not the best.

Anyway: great mission, I enjoyed a lot!

Thanks! Yet another to play during those winter months. :D

Finish the mission today I like it, however as people have said here in some areas where is darkness the light gem is bright, be careful with that next time. But the rest good keep on good work :), also good think with a certain... "surprise" in one of the houses ;).

With regards to the perfomance, I don't think anything can be done. Obsttorte kindly went through the map during beta-testing and added some more visportals which helped with the performance. This is probably as good as it gets tbh.

The performance is not too terrible; it's definitely still playable and enjoyable :)

I just opened the map in DR and gave the spawnargs "noshadows" "0" to the street lights and the lights in The Builder area. Unfortunately this doesn't stop the light from bleeding through so I have no idea how to fix this. Sorry.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker