The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Vengeance for a Thief Part 2 by Sir Taffsalot (06/09/2013)

Sir Taffsalot

19 members have voted

1. 1. Appearance

2. 2. Gameplay

• Bad
    • Could be better
    • O.K.
    • Good
    • Perfect
  3. 3. Story

• Bad
    • Could be better
    • O.K.
    • Good
    • Perfect

Judging by the download speed everybody is trying to download it at the same time

It's mediafire. Not sure if a problem or a new management choice.

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

@ id82359781905748924685789675896789257689572890:

To open the frame you need to activate two levers/switches. Where these can be found you can find out via some hints in some readables placed inside the museum.

I'v overseen that, too while betatesting, so read through everything carefully.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Nice architecture and a very impressive museum with attractive gameplay. However, I couldn't find more than 3 golden lions. I'd appreciate any hint...

I'm glad that you like it.

The Lions:

• Two are in the city area. One in Lower District and one in Upper District. Both are inside a house.
  • Two are on display in the museum. On the the upper floor and one on the lower floor.
  • One is inside the museum owners office.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

Just write spoiler in rectangular brackets at the beginning and /spoiler in rectangular brackets at the end of the specific text parts.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Wow another great level!

Memorable part: The main hall of the museum is a sight to behold. The entire level has very good architecture as well.

Suggestion: Not really a suggestion, but there were so many halls with with no cover, be it shadows or physical cover. It made sneaking really hard, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

I will admit that I "noclipped" through the museum owner's office door because I could not find the key for the life of me :unsure:

Edited by SirGen

I will admit that I "noclipped" through the museum owner's office door because I could not find the key for the life of me :unsure:

There is no key. Just use a rope arrow to climb over the office wall :)

• Like 1

The Joker

Hey Sir Taff,

Just finished playing your mission, and I really had a lot of fun. The readables, especially added a lot of flavor, and it was a blast finding all the hidden rooms in the city section.

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

@ Sir Taffsalot

I thought your mission was good. there were a couple of things that may or may not have been picked up during beta testing so I will mention them here and you can decide weather or not to fix them as there not a game changer.

This fence could do with a bit of TLC in DR, Not connected on the corner and 1 missing single spiked upright on the end:post-20393-0-02499500-1379395350_thumb.jpg

The top of the balustrade is not being drawn, not sure if it`s my install of TDM 2.0 or not:

post-20393-0-90809100-1379395435_thumb.jpg

Over all I liked it. The map also lends it's self to some secret wall tunnels and would have made getting around a bit easier. It was hard but gratifying, When you get spotted and run to hide being chased by 2-3 guards, Always brings a smile to my face.

Congrats :D

Edited by Tr00pertj

Laptop:Metabox P370SM3- Intel Core i7-4800MQ- 2x GTX780M SLI- 16G 1600Mhz- 500G Samsung mSata-1TB Hitachi HDD- 120Hz LG 1080p.Desktops:i75930k-2x GTX980 SLI-16G 2133Mhz-Evo120GSSD-Swift PG278Q1440p Gsync.Spare:AMD A10-7850K-APU-8G 1866Mhz-seagate 4TB-120G ssd. LoL Old:P75-1:1FSB-8M ram 512MB Maxtor HDD-1MB Cirrus Logic video chip-still got the parts somewhere?First PC-Tandy 512K Color computer.

@ Tr00p: Thanks for pointing those out. I plan on doing a prequel to VFAT1 and releasing all three VFAT parts as a campaign. Will stick some extra areas on the re-released parts for people who want to replay them. So will probably leave fixing those issues you pointed out until then.

I quite like the idea of some secret tunnels. How about linking some of the rooms together via a ventalation shaft? Will definately look into that when re-releasing it as part of the complete campaign.

The Joker

Finished on the hardest setting and probably one of the most difficult missions as the guards in the museum seem to have remarkable peripheral vision and super sensitive hearing (they could hear my walking when crouched even when I couldn't)

No problem with optional objective although I did get killed when getting one of the lions - and you all know which one - which was annoying because I hadn't saved for a while

Very impressive mission with excellent graphic detail.

One little quibble - it may be my sound card but the sound of the guards footsteps in the museum could do with being a little louder so that I could hear when they stopped walking and started again from behind a corner - an example was from the toilet on the upper floor

Edited by Oldjim

If it helps anyone, here are some tips to help make life easier in the museum for people:

• There are carpets everywhere. Instead of crouch walking, I just run and jump from carpet to carpet. It makes you faster and more silent. Crouch and hide in a shadow and then find you next place to hide. When the coast is clear run and jump.
  • The first thing I do when I get to the museum is go straight to the weapons room and steal all the arrows in the display cases. Especially the three gas arrows. They really make life easier.

Edited by Sir Taffsalot
  • Like 1

The Joker

If it helps anyone, here are some tips to help make life easier in the museum for people:

• There are carpets everywhere. Instead of crouch walking, I just run and jump from carpet to carpet. It makes you faster and more silent. Crouch and hide in a shadow and then find you next place to hide. When the coast is clear run and jump.
  • The first thing I do when I get to the museum is go straight to the weapons room and steal all the arrows in the display cases. Especially the three gas arrows. They really make life easier.

That's good advice. I'll use it on my next play through.

Thank you Sir T , very enjoyable. Never did find the

remaining two golden lions ( possibly in the town ) but there you go!

• 2 weeks later...

Loved the mission, felt like a real heist! I liked how the guards react to the missing items in display cases. I managed to KO one only guard inside of the museum. Really challenging but not impossibly hard. Is it possible to enter/exit the museum without blackjacking those two guards at the entrance?

That little ghost story made me extremely paranoid because I was expecting that headless ghost to appear at any moment :ph34r: So when I went to that apartment with those candles and the circle on the floor I was already super tensed up, and when that zombie spawned I panicked and ran out of the room completely missing my rope-arrow and fell all the way down on the cold, hard street :P

Some things that I've noticed that might need some fixing: There seems to be some AI pathing issues in that Trickster inspired area inside museum. The guard seems to be walking to the wall next to the doorway before walking in/out of the area.

Also if you plan to add any secret tunnels I suggest you to hide them behind paintings and stuff since the museum is full of them and I'm a sucker for that type of things :wub:

ps: I should've gone in to that weapons room first since I ran out of water arrows but I still got 2915/3265 of the loot and all the golden lions so I'm satisfied :D

@ SLS: I'm glad that you enjoyed the FM.

WRT entering the museum: There is a much sneakier way in than the main entrance.

Try finding a way into the warehouse district. It is right next to the museum and is listed on the in game map. Once there you will find a sneaky way in.

The Joker

• 1 month later...

Bit of help please:

Been in and out of the museum successfully, thought I'd get the last two lion statues and loot outside. Have not figured out any way to get to it, even though I used show_loot (I know, I was frustrated...)

I can't seem to find a way to get up on the roofs or into higher windows, and not sure which ones are even openable so kind of stuck unless I resort to a lot of trial and error (and dying a lot).

I have been to the garden part but can't figure what significance it holds. Is there a way to the last places from there?

Any hints or help appreciated :blush: