The Dark Mod Forums

Got my fibreoptic BB: woohoo

Bikerdude

May I be rude and ask what everyone does with these phenomenal speeds I can only dream at?

Honestly, usually not much. From what I've experienced most everyday ordinary downloads don't seem to benefit that much past the first 2 or 3 Mbp/s, unless you're doing several downloads at once. That's not to say there's no benefit, some downloads go faster if you have a good connection to them and if you're doing a lot stuff at once then you're more likely to see the benefits, but for your ordinary everyday use you're more likely to be limited by something not on your end.

I've had some very fast and some very slow connections, and from what I've experienced most consistently working connections over 2 or 3 Mbp/s tend to "feel more or less the same" as far as ordinary everyday use and gaming goes.

On the other hand, uploading stuff and hosting servers is different. In those cases you're much more likely to see the difference. Uploads do go a lot faster, and many more people will be able to connect to your game server without slowing things down.

Up higher than down. Is this real life?

That was taken at "peak traffic time".

It sometimes gets weird depending on usage as this is from an apartment building in an urban area.

This is what early afternoon ("not peak usage") looks like:

2991548111.png

Edited by Professor Paul1290

May I be rude and ask what everyone does with these phenomenal speeds I can only dream at?

Not that much. For my home connection, the upload bandwidth is much, much more important as I serve TS3 and Mumble for a group of friends and some other stuff.

There is a downside to all that speed; You can't really go back to slower connection once you get used to a faster one. I'd say download speeds from 20+mbps and upload from 4-5+mpbs are the bare minimum for me to start noticing "things not happening as quick as they should..."

And it can really annoy you when working, playing, testing something etc etc.

• 6 months later...

Wow that is flying. This is mine on std. cable. This is the max TWCable offers and lets face it they suck but its not too bad. Your upload crushes. That will help with HD uploads for sure ;)

3444695945.png

Edited by Lux

Is this good?

But you guys in Canada have only fixed internet contingents, right? If you go over the allowed plan, you have to pay extra or something like that?

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

HAX! That's clearly a work connection, isn't it? ::crosses fingers::

Yeah, that's from work. :P

But you guys in Canada have only fixed internet contingents, right? If you go over the allowed plan, you have to pay extra or something like that?

My plan is unlimited, but these are my home speeds:

3446018273.png

3446122127.png

This is my home connection and it doesn't come cheap. It's also the best connection of my life! ah, the developing world.

And upload is always, always 1 MB. No one cares, no one asks for more, no one knows what it means, thus no internet provider cares to offer more. I once uploaded a playthrough of a TDM mission to youtube, and the plan was to upload more but nope. Never again. Takes way too long to get a large video online.

Diego, I know that pain, I know it so well. Hopefully VDSL or Fiber gets to my area soon. My workplace up the road (500m or so) has two 85/85 fiber connections. I'm sitting on ADSL2+ at 9/.9

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

This is my home connection and it doesn't come cheap. It's also the best connection of my life! ah, the developing world.

You are South America, right? What do you pay per month? I pay 25€.

However, it is not fiber optic. I'm a bit surprised I "only" 25Mb up, as the modem supports up to 50Mb. The funny thing is, a 16Mb connection costs the same. The only difference is that I had to pay 30€ for the modem instead of 10€.

Oh, and the first six months are for free. :)

However, uploading my last vid tooks 30 minutes. It was 1.5GB large. The post-processing done by YouTube took longer. It scaled my 1280x1024 video down to 720p. Why doesn't it allow the user to watch it in the resolution provided? (Which is my screen resolution and the one I recorded the video by the way.)

It's bad I'm not at University anymore. I once downloaded a graphic cards driver there, whcih was about 150MB large, which tooks less then 3 seconds :D

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Hay guy's

I am officially jealous of all you DSL&Fibre users.

That's on WIFI 4G in AUS and costs me $60 a month and is tapered to 64kb after 8GiB:(

The government are rolling out fiber allegedly to everyone and the estate next to mine has it but I have to wait till some time in the next 3 years. No guesses as to whom (Politician) lives in the next estate.

Edited by Tr00pertj

Laptop:Metabox P370SM3- Intel Core i7-4800MQ- 2x GTX780M SLI- 16G 1600Mhz- 500G Samsung mSata-1TB Hitachi HDD- 120Hz LG 1080p.Desktops:i75930k-2x GTX980 SLI-16G 2133Mhz-Evo120GSSD-Swift PG278Q1440p Gsync.Spare:AMD A10-7850K-APU-8G 1866Mhz-seagate 4TB-120G ssd. LoL Old:P75-1:1FSB-8M ram 512MB Maxtor HDD-1MB Cirrus Logic video chip-still got the parts somewhere?First PC-Tandy 512K Color computer.