The Dark Mod Forums

SteamOS: the Linux entertainment plaform by VALVE

Ladro

Er, this is just another console in the making depsite all the marketing bling and bollox. But unlike the other major consoles, you won't be able to sell your games on with "this" console, you'll be stuck with them. So your average console user won't be interested and most PC gamers will be like, 'I have a computer WTF do I need this for'.

As 'The Bard' would say in his typical english accent "Boring, Neeext!"

Even if you're right and this is just about making another console, that's a good thing. It will put pressure on the others and increase competition.

Right now, I can buy multiple computers for the cost of a single copy of Windows. As somebody who builds his personal machines, I feel as though I am being (explitive censored) whenever I have to buy a copy of Windows. If Valve is successful with this, it will put more pressure on MS to lower the unreasonable costs of Windows to the general public.

Edited by lost_soul
  • Like 1

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

Right now, I can buy multiple computers for the cost of a single copy of Windows.

Um...what? System builder edition of Win7x64 is like $140, a 3-Pack is $410, Windows 8 OEM is $99.

You can buy "multiple computers" for the cost of a single license? ...for $140? Not sure what you were trying to convey here but a single computer that costs $140 wouldn't be worth using, let alone multiple computers. A single home PC for $410 dollars? Capable of basic stuff but gaming probably isn't its strong suit.

On the SteamOS front, sounds like what Bikerdude said. It will maybe allow DIYer's to build, "better than currently available consoles", small PC's probably for less money that will run older content or spend a bit more and have better performance than current gen consoles. It will also offer an upgrade option for any user not willing to wait on the painfully long 5-7yr console refresh cycle.

Edited by Lux

There are *lots* of cheap, integrated computers around for fractions of the price of a Windows DVD. I got an entire dual-core tablet for the cost of that Windows 7 disk!

http://www.amazon.com/Raspberry-Pi-Model-Revision-512MB/dp/B009SQQF9C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380206053&sr=8-1&keywords=raspberry+pi

http://apc.io/products/8750a/

http://www.amazon.co.uk/JUSTOP-Streamer-Internet-Play-Great-Watching/dp/B006O8O2ME/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ce_2/276-0353981-3348036

I don't expect SteamOS to run on these, but if SteamOS becomes a challenger to Windows, it can get to the point where gamers will say "I aint buying overpriced Windows for my next build because SteamOS will run the games I want to play."

At that point, we will have won. We will have choice in operating systems on the PC platform.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

I don't expect SteamOS to run on these, but if SteamOS becomes a challenger to Windows, it can get to the point where gamers will say "I aint buying overpriced Windows for my next build because SteamOS will run the games I want to play."

At that point, we will have won. We will have choice in operating systems on the PC platform.

This is sort of what I hope happens. If all goes well, the Steam Box and SteamOS will be just another general-purpose computer like all of our PCs and Macs. If all goes badly, the Steam Box and SteamOS will be a pre-handcuffed package that'll have all the shovelware limitations that the consoles have had.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

There are *lots* of cheap, integrated computers around for fractions of the price of a Windows DVD. I got an entire dual-core tablet for the cost of that Windows 7 disk!

[snip]

I'm not trying to argue with you, you were just confusing. First its "multiple computers" and then its "integrated computers". Next is used cellphones, watches, and routers, they're all computers too (exclaimation point).

I want to see TDM running on a Ras PI. :P

Here's something less boring for you Biker...No it's not selling games but it's a step in the right direction.
however not every Steam game will necessarily be available for sharing -- external services (Origin, Uplay, etc.), subscriptions, and other tech limitations

As you say, a "step" but a very small verging on a token gesture one.

Why all the hatred for Steam?

Mine and most peoples number one gripe with steam is the inability to sell your game on when your done playing with it. The only way around this is to wait and indeterminate amount of time for the price to drop for me to £15 or below or for it to be on sale at aformentioned price.

I'm not trying to argue with you, you were just confusing. First its "multiple computers" and then its "integrated computers". Next is used cellphones, watches, and routers, they're all computers too (exclaimation point).

I want to see TDM running on a Ras PI. :P

TDM for Android 2016

indeterminate amount of time for the price to drop for me to £15 or below

Usually around 6 months, the next summer sale or the next xmas sale since the original release date. I you wait a year or two, you'll get it for 5e. :D

I've always gotten the games I want on discount and I certainly see a pattern here...

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

This is the sort of thing I had always hoped they'd do. All of the advantages of PCs and consoles without sacrificing user control and mod-ability.

By making formal and simple hardware standards, users can expect games that Steam approves as stable to "just work" and developers can expect hardware and OS environment consistency--like a console, but like a PC there's nothing stopping the developer from distributing their game outside of Steam on the same OS and hardware (no walled garden bullshit). This will force linux distributions that want to provide a reliable gaming experience to coalesce too. And also like a PC, the user can install their games on their own hardware (upgraded or non-derivative), but at that point it's up to the developer and user to fix all of the issues that normally arise in PC gaming due to their noncompliance with the standards (i.e. if you want to go off and do your own thing, the user that "just wants to play" doesn't have to pay for it)

Like a console, there's a pre-packaged user interface tailored to gaming, providing a marketplace, community features, IM/chatroom service, voice chat, etc etc, but like a PC one is not forced to use this simplified interface when using the OS or hardware (and also like a PC, one can install whatever they please on the OS and hardware).

Now the exception to all of this is that the service and these standards are dictated by a private company and--assuming the Steam OS becomes widespread--this puts a lot of power into the hands of an easily corruptible entity (e.g. when management is inevitably corrupted); the altruistic (or let's say "nongreedy") nature of it completely depends on Steam not "going evil" (and they certainly will become evil--especially after Steam becomes more successful). This is in addition to the fact that one already doesn't actually own the games they've purchased and one cannot share them (and other little things, like Steam forcing updates in the background--even while playing multiplayer games--in a way that is disingenuous due to their bandwidth monitor not making note of it).

If Valve were smart, they would put measures in place that limit their own excesses because at this rate the future Valve will certainly become something the current Valve will disagree with.

Edited by woah