The Dark Mod Forums

Splinter Cell: Blacklist. Anyone playing?

STiFU

Hey guys, I recently got SC:Blacklist and I quite enjoy it. It is actually a big step back in the right direction. Sneaking is pretty tough if you don't want to kill anybody, so this is very interesting for a thief fan like most of us. :)

The game features tons of coop content and I was wondering whether anybody around here was playing the game too and is up for some coop? Please be warned though, I rarely find time to play these days...

Also another warning, if you're planning to buy this game (it's 25 % off on steam), know that it uses uPlay.

I had this in my comment a couple weeks ago so yes I'm playing it and enjoying it. I have coop reserved for my brother for the first playthrough but after we get some of those done I'm open to replaying them with others.

I'm playing on realistic and the sneaking can be pretty tough. I wish the dark shadows were darker as it seems you're hiding in 'not that dark' of spots. The contextual movement from cover to cover can be annoying particularly when you want to slide going up to a cover point and instead the player jumps over it exposing yourself.

I do like that there isn't a quicksave. Its checkpoint to checkpoint and the sections are tough however if you get to the next checkpoint and want to play the section again you can reload 2 previous checkpoints ago which is something you have to get used to.

Dogs are SUPER annoyingly sniffing around for you and I hate them but in a great way. We need scent/super hearing dogs in TDM, especially when they're with a guard that has a flashlight/torch :)

I'm also finding the "Gone Dark" missions to be an interesting twist.

Edited by Lux

I am actually currently enjoying the game in stereo 3d with my new 55 inch LG SmartTV and I am having a blast!! :) However, Tridef - the tool I use for the s3d gaming - messes up my online time in sc blacklist. It still says I've been playing only 3 hours... ^^

Could possibly be that the game isn't allowing the tool to run during muliplayer if that's what you mean by "online" time. I have 3 monitors and the game runs excellently in sp and coop on all 3 but when I play multiplayer it confines the game to 1 monitor and messes up my mouse sensitivity big time when sprinting.

• 8 months later...

Up. Playing it now.

It's superb. The perfect Splinter Cell experience/gameplay mix IMHO (since the first SC).
And lovely Unreal Engine 3 incarnation.

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

• 3 years later...

To dig this topic out again: After years, i tried Blacklist out again, after having finished Splinter Cell 1, and halfway Splinter Cell 3. Almost made me cry that the gameplay is so far away from the early parts. To me, it's not much more than a amended Splinter Cell Conviction. And the story, and anything else didn't make any sense either. Since when does a secret agent have to buy gear from his own money? And why do i get to choose which missions i want to do? And why does everyone act so plastic, and unrealistic? I don't know, it just shows everything which is also wrong with other games, or Hollywood movies these days. Actually, it plays like a movie, without the ability to write your own script. Games these days... :rolleyes: I'd really recommend to play Splinter Cell 1-3 if you want the real experience. The other parts are just garbage.

• Like 1

To dig this topic out again: After years, i tried Blacklist out again, after having finished Splinter Cell 1, and halfway Splinter Cell 3. Almost made me cry that the gameplay is so far away from the early parts. To me, it's not much more than a amended Splinter Cell Conviction. And the story, and anything else didn't make any sense either. Since when does a secret agent have to buy gear from his own money? And why do i get to choose which missions i want to do? And why does everyone act so plastic, and unrealistic? I don't know, it just shows everything which is also wrong with other games, or Hollywood movies these days. Actually, it plays like a movie, without the ability to write your own script. Games these days... :rolleyes: I'd really recommend to play Splinter Cell 1-3 if you want the real experience. The other parts are just garbage.

'cause you're working no more for any state :P

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Sneaking is pretty tough if you don't want to kill anybody,

That's actually what's wrong with this game and most modern "stealth" games. If I have the possibility to get through the mission by shooting everyone, why should I choose the more difficult approach of sneaking? In the original games fighting was rarely an option, and so you had to sneak simple to survive, similar to the thief series. This creates the tension I like about those games. If I can play it anyway I want it gets boring pretty fast imho. It's the same issue I have with sniper elite 4 (was on sale recently, so I thought I check it out). You can snipe and try to stealth the missions, but sooner or later someone will detect you, which turns this game in a COD clone. And suddenly you realize, "hey, if I just run around killing everyone I progress much faster and it is way more easier". Just bad game design, and a waste of money (SE4 was worse then SC:Blacklist in that regard, but still Blacklist is definetely no step into the right direction, it was just sold as beeing that).

Just my two cents, though.

EDIT: Just noticed that I've quoted a five years old post. Lol. That's what is happening if someone necros an old thread and you don't realize it :D

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Up. Playing it now.

It's superb. The perfect Splinter Cell experience/gameplay mix IMHO (since the first SC).

And lovely Unreal Engine 3 incarnation.

That's actually Unreal Engine 2, which is even more impressive. But I can't say I liked the game overall.

That's actually Unreal Engine 2, which is even more impressive. But I can't say I liked the game overall.

Yes, it's an heavily modified version.

It's the same issue I have with sniper elite 4 (was on sale recently, so I thought I check it out). You can snipe and try to stealth the missions, but sooner or later someone will detect you, which turns this game in a COD clone.

Well.....maybe in the first level of SE4 you can do that.

Try later in the game......

Edited by lowenz

Well.....maybe in the first level of SE4 you can do that.

Try later in the game......

I've played til mission 5 under the highest difficulty level. And in every mission it ended up in a massacre me killing almost everyone, just because I got detected and didn't wanted to reload or due to me having to search for whatever (officers, papers, etc...) without the game really hinting me to were to find it (no quest markers under the highest setting). Of course I died from time to time, like in every shooter (I consider that normal), but overall rushing through is easier in Sniper Elite as in many other shooters that are designed to let you rush through.

I agree. Actually, it was more fun to go all Rambo. Which makes it clear to me which audience should be attracted to the game. Oh well, i guess you can't blame them, because stealth games aren't exactly popular these days. What i really hate about it though is the exploit of a brand the newer games have nothing to do with anymore. It's obvious that they feel like (and probably do) they can make more money by sticking to the name, while producing totally different games.

Remember that SE4 is a sniping simulator and the stealth is not the "totally silent" one :P SE was never meant to be a "Ghost Only" game.

The "snipe&change" position tactic is actually *incentivated* !

My stats on Abrunza (real name: CASSINO :D )

image.jpg

Edited by lowenz

Remember that SE4 is a sniping simulator and the stealth is not the "totally silent" one :P SE was never meant to be a "Ghost Only" game.

The "snipe&change" position tactic is actually *incentivated* !

Stealth games do not mean to me that I have to or can ghost through the missions. That's actually not the way I play any game. Providing that many Thief fans see this as the "high art of stealth" this was an expectable misunderstanding.

To me stealth is a subgenre of tactical games, were I have to plan my progress and proceed with caution, because I am a vulnerable character. "Snipe and change" as you call it perfectly fits that description and is actually the way I've played the game most of the time. The problem is the lack of neccessity. I always play any game so that I progress the easiest way possible. I am not enforcing certain playstyles on myself, that's the job of the game designers. In games like Thief, Deus Ex or Dishonored I mostly avoid a direct confrontation because it isn't feasable to go all rambo. Making use of the stealth mechanics easens(!!!) the game for you. This was also the case in the first Splinter Cells. But in Blacklist or SE4 using a stealthy approach is actually harder then using aggressive measures. For Blacklist this is actually a dead sentence, as it is intented to be a stealth game. And in SE4 it is much easier to move up closely to the enemies and kill them with your automatic weapons (combined with some stealth kills from your silenced pistol and probably some use of your sniper rifle) then to take out enemies from far distances.

Another issue I had with SE4 (besides its boring and repetive gameplay and its dumb ai) is that it is clearly designed with using all the supports in mind. The developers made a game with quest markers, aiming helps etc... so that everyone can play it easely, and than they thought: "Hey, let's don't forget about the core gamers", and simple removed all the help systems on the highest settings. But the game wasn't designed for that, and so you spend most of your time searching the whole map for that one last nazi officer, blueprint or whatever else you have to do.

Considering the relatively high ratings the game got it seems that the demands we have towards games doesn't seem to be very high, which makes me sad.

If you take a look at board games for example you can see the exact opposite there. New mechanics are created and fine-tuned over and over again. If you buy a game using similar mechanics to an older one, you can be pretty sure that those mechanics will be working better in the newer version, and that in a few years another game driving that mechanic even closer to perfection will be created. There is real progress there. The only real progress we have in computer games are the graphics. Woohoo. :(

• Like 2

You got a good number of reasons but I don't think "silent" stealth is so punishing in SE4.....thanks to DLCs (argh :D ) you got 2 silenced (suppressed) pistols, 1 silenced AR and all other pistols and sniper rifles can use silenced ammos (to avoid the metagame of repairing the silencer as seen in Sniper Ghost Warrior 3).

• 2 weeks later...

DLC missions (Hitler Assassination + Deathstorm package) are really good (on pair with the main game).

Maybe it's because the game is set here in Italy :P but I can recommend it for the excellent level design.

Edited by lowenz