The Dark Mod Forums

Darkmod Homepage.

Kristus

Great job on the new design but...

Whenever I write in the url to the dark mod homepage it feels the need to do a redirect. Why on earth does it do that?

I add the url. www.darkmod.com

and then I get,

dark mod now at www.darkmod.com redirecting.

I am not a fan of being redirected to the same url I came from. The page works and all, but why is it redirecting first?

Another thing, why is it using frames? To disguise that it's using another url for the page itself? There's better ways to do that.

Edited by Kristus

It's redirecting this morning because we are still trying to get the page to point to the .php version instead of the.html version. And there are no frames.

Whenever I write in the url to the dark mod homepage it feels the need to do a redirect. Why on earth does it do that?

I add the url. www.darkmod.com

and then I get,

dark mod now at www.darkmod.com redirecting.

I am not a fan of being redirected to the same url I came from. The page works and all, but why is it redirecting first?

Another thing, why is it using frames? To disguise that it's using another url for the page itself? There's better ways to do that.

New Design? It hasn't been posted yet to my knowledge. :) Did you type darkmod.com or thedarkmod.com? It should be the latter.

Our URL points to www.mindplaces.com/darkmod, where the site is hosted. That is probably why you're seeing the redirect.

Actually the new site is up now, but I'm still trying to work with Spar to get our domain to point to it directly. The redirect is just a temporary solution.

thedarkmod.com yes, I've been using that ever since you got the domain. What do you mean it's not up yet?. It's there, all reddish and stuff. But the redirect doesn't make sense. (to me that is. :P)

even if you don't have control of Nameservers or directDNS there should still be ways for you to make it go seamlessly.

Oh nevermind, I shouldn't talk, I am not knowledged in this enough to rant on about it.

Edited by Kristus

Ok, I've removed the redirect page so you go directly from our domain name now.

And you're right, Kristus. For some reason Spar's redirect page frames everything. I'll get him to change it.

Just to help my web knowledge, what is the better way you'd use? I'm not involved with The Dark Mod website updates, so I'm just asking more or less for my own benefit. Thanks!

The problem is that I host the domain at GMX which allows me to redirect it to another website, but I can't change how it does that. The advantage is that it is very cheap. :) Don't know what it would cost with anothr provider, but this one costs 12 Euro per year.

Gerhard

Well, do the frames actually affect anything visually? Or do they just show up in the code? If they don't actually DO anything, then it's not worth a lot of effort to get rid of them.

Hmm, I have mixed feelings about this. It doesn´t look THAT much better than the old version and loads a bit slower IMO.

Some little nitpics...

- the rollover buttons are not loading when the page is loading, but at a mouse over (might be my fault though)

- the page doesn´t fit 800x600 screen res

- why frames (if they don´t show up, why having them ? it´s a bad thing for search engines), why PHP ?

- doesn´t have any metaproperties like keywords etc.

Edited by Redface

I had to do about ten refreshes until IE and FireFox gave me the new site!

Looks sweet though.

The only thing I don't like about frames is that you cannot easily bookmark or refresh individual pages.

BTW - http://www.mindplaces.com/darkmod/screen9.jpg is giving me a 404.

Edited by Zaccheus

• 4 weeks later...
Well, do the frames actually affect anything visually? Or do they just show up in the code? If they don't actually DO anything, then it's not worth a lot of effort to get rid of them.

I agree with Zaccheus. Frames have the problem that you cannot make a bookmark to the page you are actually on. All I see in the address box of my browser is the URL of the home page. So I cannot bookmark something to return to it later, nor can I copy a URL to make a link from one post to another. The latter could impede comunications. At the Eidos forum, where they use frames as the main entry point, you can bypass the frame by using another URL that points to the forum starting page within the frame. Then it is good to go. Is there such a URL for this forum? If so, publicizing that might help as a temporary fix.

if you want to bookmark a certain page,

1. go to the main page, and right click for the menu on the button that leads to the desired bookmark page.

2. click on 'copy shortcut'.

3. go to favorites, and use the current page to add it to list (it will be default as you mentioned [www.thedarkmod.com])

4. now go to your favorites list again, and right click on the bookmark, and go to properties.

5. under the URL section, paste in the 'copied shortcut' from step 2.

6. hit ok, and there yah go.

:rolleyes: