The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Requiem by Gelo "Moonbo" Fleisher (2013/10/6)

Moonbo

Poll: Requiem (by Gelo "Moonbo" Fleisher)  

127 members have voted

1. 1. Appearance

2. 2. Gameplay

3. 3. Story

You really should just load up a prior save, the story will make no sense to you if you glitched out that sequence. As you continue to play, the next objective will appear.

• Like 1

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

I'd very much appreciate a hint from some kind soul as I seem to be stuck. I've

bumped off all the haunts and taken the second seal. Can someone please point me to where I can use it.Is it in the area of this second seal or do I have to go up through the water area with steps again to the higher level? With my usual ineptitude I've used up my supply of fire arrows and holy water. Can I get through the next area by ghosting , as if not I'll replay this bit and see if I can save a fire arrow or two..

By the way , has anyone found a use for the mines , they never seem to work in these missions.I've placed them where the haunts walk and even seen them step on them without the mine exploding. The only good use I've found for them is for blocking doors and stopping them opening thus trapping the haunt / guard or whatever on the other side.

you need to go back through the water to place the seal, close to where you placed the first seal. Also you can ghost the rest of the mission but more equipment never hurts :-). With the mines, there are a few AI later on which some players on this thread said mines were good against.

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

Thanks , much appreciated.

Sorry me again.

I've got the soul jar and want to open the trapdoor above the lava.How do you open it as the lock picks won't do it? Is there a lever somewhere? i've checked out for a key in the library upstairs.

Thanks for any help.

Edited by raymeld

Hey there :-),

You need to take the stairs, past the library, all the way up to the very top of the tower to find the key.

Edited by Moonbo

-Sun Myung Moon

Whoops , thank you ! With all those nasty haunts around I

never went up there or even realized there was a tower!

!

Just finished , and easily the best mission I've played so far . Many thanks to everyone involved in it . :D

• 2 weeks later...

I've only been playing this mission for about an hour, but I just had to say how great it is so far! The city area surrounding the church is so cool, and the music is great too. The architecture of the church itself is amazing.

I'm having way too much fun sneaking around inside the chapel while the requiem is taking place :laugh:

Edited by SirGen

I finished Requiem. It was absolutely great! The music really set the mood. The level design was fun to explore. The story was so good that I really looked forward to finding more readables. The cutscenes (not sure if they're actually considered cutscenes, but I think you know what I mean.) were all great. Between those and the readables, it was a well fleshed out story. Hats off to Goldwell for the great voice acting too.

One of my favorite parts was the

unique enemy types. I don't normally enjoy a lot of undead enemies in fan missions, but the crowned hammer "demons" and the "shadow demons" were a ton of fun to both fight and sneak past.

I look forward to more fan missions from you!

Edited by SirGen
  • Like 1

I think that this is the best thief mission i have ever played. The atmosphere, the story, the levels design( the multiple routes and alternatives)......they all came together to make a masterpiece. I dont think i have ever read all the readables more closely and with such interest. When it all started i never thought it would all unveil as it did. Great job, hope more people play your mission and you will keep making them at least as addictive as this one.

Edited by UnrealOne

First, a little something for your amusement.

The first time through I used my fire arrows and mines on the corrupted hammerites (with the crowns). Soon thereafter, I ran into the invisible necromancers, and I SURE was wishing I had those weapons back! When I found out you can just go grab the crowns I had to go replay that part.

Now the serious part. I have played most of the top-tier missions (still got a couple to go), but I will be surprised if anything can surpass this one. This mission does just about everything completely right, but there are two aspects of it which REALLY make it stand out for me:

(1) great story, which just keeps getting better and better, and which is greatly helped by strategically-placed and particularly well-written readables; the writer's touch is very evident here.

(2) a generous helping of thiefy goodness, in the form of many little places to investigate and so many little rewards for doing so. Finding them has been an absolute joy -- and I probably still missed a few, too.

So congrats, Moonbo, for a true masterpiece.

• Like 1

Hey LordPeter,

Thanks for taking the time to put up a detailed review, it's always great to hear people's thoughts and experiences and I'm glad yours were so positive :-).

-Sun Myung Moon

• 2 weeks later...

The first time through I used my fire arrows and mines on the corrupted hammerites (with the crowns). Soon thereafter, I ran into the invisible necromancers, and I SURE was wishing I had those weapons back! When I found out you can just go grab the crowns I had to go replay that part.

haha, i know the feeling. I spent at least 30 mins trying to fire a water arrows from a barely opened door and from a great distance. I was ready to fall in despair when I don't know how I just grabbed one from the head and the undeead ..... died :D ...... It all went smoth from there :D. Always nice to see diversity on enemies, not the same ones every time...

I'm really happy to see that this mission gets so many great reviews.

Edited by UnrealOne

• 1 month later...

Good GOD! This mission has everything. It's, no joke, maybe my favorite mission EVER in a Thief game. FM or official licensed game, doesn't matter. This is the standard.

Twists, turns, engaging story, believably diverse enemy types, traps, suspense, shocking moments, gorgeous map and several beautiful locations, everything that happened in the church (the music!), and an epic climax. I'm sure there are some balancing issues and bugs. But I don't care. I'm in awe. Bravo!

"Fancy burricks are afraid of dogs, if they encounter each other the dog barks and the burricks poop." - Thief: Deadly Shadows Game Designer

Hey Digi,

Wow, thanks for the kind words :-). I've noticed you kicking around on the newbie mapping thread - if you flip a few pages back on that thread you'll notice I was asking pretty similar questions a while ago, so keep plugging away and you never know what you'll end up with.

Edited by Moonbo
  • Like 1

-Sun Myung Moon

Well that's encouraging at least.

I've mostly been a broken record of praise about ALL the FMs I've played so far, primarily because they've all been fun and I'm not going to sh*t all over someone doing this voluntarily. But Requiem really did separate itself for me. I suppose the length of the mission helps it, and a more fair comparison might be series of 2-3 connected missions from other creators. But the weighty feeling of sincere accomplishment after this one was something I haven't gotten in a long time in Thief.

• Like 1

"Fancy burricks are afraid of dogs, if they encounter each other the dog barks and the burricks poop." - Thief: Deadly Shadows Game Designer

Greetings Mr Moonbo. I just got done running through this, and I wanted to compliment the spectacular design of this FM, it must have taken quite a long time to pull all of it together.

Also:

You can skip the talk with with the father underground by jumping to the back of the room to mount the large goblet with the first seal.

I am uploading my finalized run of it as we speak, I will post it when it's done.

Nonsense, tomfoolery and abject stupidity, all of which can be found on my channel. (TDM stuff included)

This was a fantastic mission, packed with excellent ideas and moments that will be remembered for years to come.

Everything has been said already, but anyway, here's what stood out for me:

• The crowned revenants are awesome, so are the necromancers.
  • For the first time I really got the feeling of a full-sized FM.
  • Beautiful architecture, so many curves and patches, great texturing.
  • Rooftops and feelings of height were very well done.
  • Top-notch sound design. Ambients and music made the experience quite unique.

Now what I didn't like:

• I hate forced exposition, especially in Thief and related games. That's just me, so this shouldn't really be considered as criticism, but it did disconnect me from the experience slightly.
  • The trap was so obvious that the mission should have acknowledged people moving the note away from the center and avoiding being trapped.

I'll cosign Briar's comment about the trap.

In my earlier praise, I forgot about it, but it was the one moment that took me out of the experience because of how obvious it was.

Doesn't shake my overall enjoyment, though.

Hey Briareos (and Digi), thanks for the feedback.

Yeah, I can see what you mean about the trap (and the monologue afterwards) being a bit forced/obvious. Something to keep in mind for future projects I guess.

-Sun Myung Moon