The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Requiem by Gelo "Moonbo" Fleisher (2013/10/6)

Moonbo

Poll: Requiem (by Gelo "Moonbo" Fleisher)  

127 members have voted

1. 1. Appearance

2. 2. Gameplay

3. 3. Story

Thanks guys :-). The new FM will be a loose sequel to Requiem and will have two levels in it. When I can finish it will be determined by Real Life, but hopefully I can get it out to everyone around February. I'll let you know the closer it gets.

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't finished playing all TDM missions. But at this moment, this is my absolute favorite! That's because it's the mission with the best story and action, and the best sense of something going on. It actually felt like I played an entire original game (of Doom 3 length), not just a single mission for TDM.

At first I thought it's something simple like most TDM missions... you steal the letter from the church, come back, and the mission ends. I totally didn't expect the whole letter story to be fake, and a plot to send you to an underground city where you fight an army of undead. Once there, you also meet the previous thief attracted in this trap, who was however killed in front of the entrance. If you pickpocket the letter of his buddy waiting in the church tower, he talks about how they both sneaked in dressed as workers, and now he's waiting for his thief friend to return from the mission, but is confused why he isn't (that raised me a few questions before I even entered the church).

The levels and puzzles of this underground temple where themselves unique, progressive, and well implemented... my favorite being the torches, which you must light based on the symbols hinted by four riddles in a letter. There were also unique enemies with unique weaknesses and abilities: Skeletons wearing crowns of fire who die if you pickpocket them off their heads, and ghost soldiers who become invisible when in the shadows. The priest appearing in your visions and giving you clues was another nice touch... as well as the fact that around the place, you find notes written by those who fought the evil long before you and were defeated, so in parallel you experience their progress as you work on your own. After I threw that soul jar in the lava and returned outside, it felt like I finished a full game of epic proportions.

Whether it's a sequel / prequel to this or something completely new, I can't wait for the next mission you will be making! You're very skilled at making not just good looking maps with good gameplay, but also giving missions a purpose and vivid or surprising elements.

• 4 weeks later...

Just completed your mission.

The beggining was great, the Church especially stood out, but I have the feeling it should have been locked out - i.e. you shouldn't be able to get in between the people as the atmosphere and the illusion breaks a little. But it's still amazing with the very convenient soundtrack choice!

The underground section was good, especially how it started, the sudden creep which worked, although over time it became a little weary to creep through the invisible opponents - while unique, I did not enjoy their quick and instant reflexes. Probably they were meant like that but still....

Amazing ending of the story. Concluded it well and the music and all of it fit so well that it just makes the whole journey worthwhile. Very high level of quality here.

If there's anything that I didn't like was the somewhat lacking sense of size. There are big halls, but some places make it feel a little minimalistic for the epic scope of the entire story and temple.

Once again, thank you for the Church segment. Every bit of that was pure genius.

Edited by Anderson

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

Thanks guys :-). The new FM will be a loose sequel to Requiem and will have two levels in it. When I can finish it will be determined by Real Life, but hopefully I can get it out to everyone around February. I'll let you know the closer it gets.

Don't feel guilty for delays. Your health and well being matters much more. This FM can be released whenever you feel it is finished and only then.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

• 2 months later...

Hey Shaz,

Thanks for the kind review, and enjoy that nice cup of tea :-). There will be some scary elements/sequences in the upcoming sequel, but hopefully they'll be balanced out by some more peaceful sections too. It's always nice for an author to know what people thought of their work, so thanks again for writing down your thoughts!

• Like 1

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

• 1 month later...

Hey Summer,

It's this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Shadowcursed-Gelo-Fleisher-ebook/dp/B00BYEW02M

I'm a writer first and foremost, and I was writing this novella when I got the inspiration to make Requiem. So I consider the two companion pieces :-).

-Sun Myung Moon

Hey Summer,

It's this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Shadowcursed-Gelo-Fleisher-ebook/dp/B00BYEW02M

I'm a writer first and foremost, and I was writing this novella when I got the inspiration to make Requiem. So I consider the two companion pieces :-).

Wow, that's so cool. Congrats, Moonbo :smile: Looking forward to this. BTW, Requiem was an awesome mission.

Btw., is there any chance it may get translated someday? :rolleyes:

Can this kindle stuff be read on the computer, or do you need extra software etc...?

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Hey Obs,

Gosh, maybe if I become super famous in the future then they'll be enough of a demand for a translation, but for now it'll have to be in English :-). The Amazon version can be read via Amazon's cloud reader (comes free whenever you open an account with Amazon) on any computer. But the version available at Smashwords.com comes in all sorts of formats, ranging from a simple text file, to PDF, to ePUB, so all your bases should be covered.

-Gelo

-Sun Myung Moon

Hey Cambridge, that was really neat to watch - you're a really methodical player, the kind every mapper wants to play their maps :-). I just feel bad about the broken skins on the necromancers. I've let the TDM team know about that and they should be releasing an updated version of the level to address it.

-Sun Myung Moon

Hey Cambridge, that was really neat to watch - you're a really methodical player, the kind every mapper wants to play their maps :-). I just feel bad about the broken skins on the necromancers. I've let the TDM team know about that and they should be releasing an updated version of the level to address it.

That's good, I'll go through the updated version once 2.04 is released. No point doing the same mission twice on the same version.

"Let me guess - little blue men with three heads stole your sweetroll?"

If you're going to release an updated version of Requiem, here's some other things you can fix:

• One of the people attending the requiem service uses the old wench model, and her vest is untextured.
  • One of the books in the library has no texture.
  • Usually after leaving the City Watch station, Captain Targhin somehow keeps walking into the wall outside his office. I actually got pretty lucky when I was recording and he was still doing his patrol even after defeating the Evil.

"Let me guess - little blue men with three heads stole your sweetroll?"

I'd very much appreciate a hint from some kind soul as I seem to be stuck. I've

bumped off all the haunts and taken the second seal. Can someone please point me to where I can use it.Is it in the area of this second seal or do I have to go up through the water area with steps again to the higher level? With my usual ineptitude I've used up my supply of fire arrows and holy water. Can I get through the next area by ghosting , as if not I'll replay this bit and see if I can save a fire arrow or two..

By the way , has anyone found a use for the mines , they never seem to work in these missions.I've placed them where the haunts walk and even seen them step on them without the mine exploding. The only good use I've found for them is for blocking doors and stopping them opening thus trapping the haunt / guard or whatever on the other side.

LOL make sure you're USEING the mines not dropping them.

If you just drop them into your hand then onto the ground, they won't activate, you have to USE them.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

I get the black textures too, so I don't think it's #4110 after all. I'll try to work out what's up.

Update: the wench with the black tunic is a problem with a TDM core asset, the barefeet skin for the wench. I'll open a tracker.

The black books look to be a map problem. They ask for skin "1" which isn't defined in the map pk4 and doesn't sound like a TDM asset.

Edited by SteveL