The Dark Mod Forums

TDM in The News

lowenz

Cool, finally Gamestar gives TDM the deserved attention. I was wondering for some time that they never reviewed it. Did someone send them an email? :laugh:

Translation of the conclusion at the end of the article:

Florian Heider: Wow, is that slow. That was my first thought about The Dark Mod. Considering many modern stealth action games with "super instant kill 4 all self heal bullet time function, it is no wonder. Once i get used to the moderate game tempo, my initial worries were forgotten. The Dark Mod achieves exactly what i wished: It plays like Thief with slightly (??) improved graphics.

When i hold out in the dark for minutes, checking the routes of the guards, disposing the perfect plan for a perfect raid, i feel like back in time, 1998. Thanks to the busy community, permanent supply of fan missions is assured. My colleague Löwenstein can be looking forward to the reboot (Thief 4), i happily stick to this wonderful fan project.

Very positive review. :)

Mirrors are feeling the impact of that review too (Now over 15000 downloads which my mirror has been part of!)

Germany has retaken the #1 spot, down with those American dogs.

If only the French were more active, I could joke about some kind of invasion, I mean Poland is punching way above its weight... I know I crossed a line somewhere... the Maginot Line?

Will update the heatmap in a few minutes.

• Like 3

If this were a AAA game, you'd spent it all on marketing, fancy mocappers for all the cinematic QTE sequences and a dozen writers to write some "epic" story about gain and loss, love and hate, war and peace and stabbing people in the eye 'cause they're evil.

• Like 2
76561198061377149.png

My God. Would the number of complete downloads be above or below 50,000 by now?

I think it should be way above that. Just think about it. On only one mirror (Serpentine's) are 15k downloads. Now, how many mirrors do we have? Currently the updater says 8, but I know we had more that had to be disabled due to too much traffic. So, let's assume not all of those mirrors had the 15k downloads (I know Fidcal's hasn't ;) ), so I'd just approximate the regular updater_downloads to something around 90k to 100k. Then there are 8k on Moddb and the torrent has been posted on numerous other gaming websites. Since we can't lookup how often the torrent has been downloaded (aside from moddb), let's again approximate it. On Moddb it was downloaded 5.5k. Now from all the gaming sites together that posted the torrent, there should be at least something around the 50k in total for torrents. All in all, that should be something around the 150k, which is simply Amazing!! :)

Yeah, the review is extremely positive, similar to the first one posted here. The only thing I think that's odd is that he say that TDM has slightly better graphics then Thief. I mean, maybe he is referring to thief 3, but if he is referring to part one and two, this would be a bad joke.

Well, more people means more possible contributors. So to everyone who is reading this:

Start Mapping, NOW!!! :)

• Like 1

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I think it should be way above that. Just think about it. On only one mirror (Serpentine's) are 15k downloads. Now, how many mirrors do we have? Currently the updater says 8, but I know we had more that had to be disabled due to too much traffic.

It doesnt work like this :)

For each file in the TDM redist, the downloader picks a mirror out of a weighted list. So each person downloading touches nearly all of the mirrors, some slow and some fast. So 19k I would estimate would be the 'downloads via the official channel'. However I think about 50k including all sources, is a good estimate.

I think our most popular release previously hit 8k or something.

Edit:

I currently host the fms listed as being mirrored by taaaki. So I've only had them for just less than 7 days.

In that time (excluding the java test script and a few broken browser downloads) : 5136 fm's have been downloaded.

Considering I am not hosting a large number of them, and that there are many mirrors, some of which are fm specific. I think that's a pretty damn amazing number.

• Like 1

Start Mapping, NOW!!! :)

Indeed! Don't contribute money, contribute time. :)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

... Or if you happen to work for a nice hosting company that will give me a nice box to use for mirroring in the longish term, we'll take that too. KVM VPS too.

Newsflash from irc:

2013-10-25 15:46:20 | jvoisin       http://linuxfr.org/news/the-dark-mod-2-0-sort-en-version-standalone
2013-10-25 15:46:36 | jvoisin       It's a big french Linux-dedicated website

Remember, you, too could join us over on freenode in #thedarkmod

Another download spike is going to hit us soon, I guess. The German gaming magazine Gamestar just posted a big special on The Dark Mod

Btw, the featured video (in German) is a really a well done and very positiv video review.

> 41000 views in less than two day, not bad either ... :-)

http://www.gamestar....-mod,72463.html

"To rush is without doubt the most important enemy of joy" ~ Thieves Saying

More idle Googling...

It seems that the Rageaholic blog who made an infamous parody of Thief 4 over at 4chan has a nice little blurb about TDM too:

http://the-rageaholic.tumblr.com/post/63609053694/in-positive-thief-related-news-you-no-longer-need

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Interesting interview...who was this with?

http://www.newmediar...n_glass_studios

Uhhhhh what?

To our great fortune, New Media Rights went into great detail over all the issues we needed to think about in our process of going standalone, much beyond what we were expecting. It was important because the task was so huge (we're talking about 100s of assets), and there were so many potential landmines at every turn, that having a guide through the potential IP & legal issues was very important.

So in that respect, NMR's assistance was exactly what we needed. Also simply in practical terms, our artists needed NMR's guidance to even know how to go about creating specific assets, like what features or aspects could be kept or needed to be changed, and in what respects. So NMR's assistance was incredibly helpful in both big and little ways.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.