The Dark Mod Forums

TDM in The News

lowenz

Nice review and its pointed me to a game I have never heard of - Republique Remastered. Looks bloody awesome, amnd while I was there I spotted Deus Ex: The Fall

Hm, the former looks like third person view to me which I don't like, even in a stealth game. Although it's hard to say with all the cutscenes mixed in...

Edited by wesp5

It is true, that it looks like 3rd person, but that is what makes this game special. You do not play the person sneaking about, you play a hacker, watching and helping the personl, that sneaks about. I think it is something different, and that's why it looks interesting.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

What we need is a mapper like KFort that makes really snowball powderpuff easy but cute missions for the snowball powderpuff demographic. (Not that that represents this guy.) But there should be an FM for all types IMO.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Jesps "Mad's Mountain" has been noted to be on the easier side with easy difficulty set. I'm not sure how applicable that is now with all the AI enhancements

and Hearing\Vision sliders (etc) since he released it.

• Like 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

If you look at some of the clips he posted, they included some very difficult missions, including Beleaguered Fence, which is pretty punishing for newer players.

If we were going to add one thing to the mission download page, a difficulty indicator is what I would choose.

• Like 2

Maybe we need a tagging system for the mission downloader, and a special filter for newbie-friendly missions? It could also be added to the FM list on the wiki, although who knows how many people read it.

And I will always happily play snowball powderpuff easy but cute missions.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I might be at fault here, since I recommended this to him about a week ago. :blush: Still, it gives us some exposure, even if he found it a bit hard. :smile:

Jesps "Mad's Mountain" has been noted to be on the easier side with easy difficulty set. I'm not sure how applicable that is now with all the AI enhancements

and Hearing\Vision sliders (etc) since he released it.

Yeah, I can testify to that. Mad's Mountain has quite a bit of climbing and even a bit of swimming, but it's not a particularly hard mission.

I wonder if he bothered to adjust the AI sight and hearing in the menu options?

Does anyone have personal contact to this user? Petike maybe? I would be really keen to know if he did adjust those settings to his liking.

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

After playing TDM for awhile i feel the old games are just easy, too easy in fact that i think this is why people used to them will feel TDM is hard, and i never play TDM at the highest difficulty.

His opinion about the sound tho, i concur, compared to the old games TDM sound system is basic, just hope that with the new OpenAL/ EFX on the 2.04 version you guys can change that.

• Like 1

Hopefully some people get curious about it, like when somebody says you don't want to try this salsa because it's way too hot. That just stokes their curiousity.

He had the funny habit of attributing things like AI to Doom3 when those are really entirely ours. But sound is a Doom3 engine issue. Sound follows portals and not Roombrushing like Thief, so sound can go through walls. But roombrushing for Thief had issues too if you pay attention. It limits what mappers can do, and we don't have that problem. So, you know, pros and cons. But maybe we can improve the system?

• Like 1

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Portals and leafs should be more than adequate for directional sound. All you're looking to do is trace a path (ideally all possible paths) from the source to the player. Then you attenuate the sound based on the size of portals that have been passed through, the angle of turns, and distance traveled. As far as I can tell, the engine is only accounting for the distance of a single path.

• Like 1

1. What is roombrushing? I never built anything for the old Thief games, and am unfamiliar with Dromed.

2. TDM sound indeed travels the single shortest path, like stretching a string through the portals and pulling it tight. It doesn't care about portal size or 'angle of turns'. I wasn't aware that either could affect sound. Will research.