The Dark Mod Forums

TDM in The News

lowenz

I've found this profile via French Thief site (Lady Jo), looks like someone is taking hi-res screenshots of fan missions, TDM included, and makes YT videos out of them. The TDM playlist is over 120 videos now.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLh3r4pl1A9eneh5BrFVw6_fmDOCU3bZ41

On 9/14/2018 at 8:12 PM, Moonbo said:

Review from another youtuber I follow:

Nice. However, looking at his video's thumbnail, I really think we need a good promo illustration of a TDM thief standing somewhere in the shadows, with the night time city around him.

People don't have an easily downloadable promo pic like that, and reuse Garrett images from the trilogy or the reboot. I think that casts a bad marketing light on us, because it makes it seem we're stealing art assets or something. We could avoid reviewers doing that if we had a set of wallpapers with thievy characters. Toni made some good ones with TDM characters by faction, but unfortunately none for the thieves.

Just a thought. If the general audience is accidentally put off by the incorrect notion that "TDM is just a ripoff of Thief", rather than TDM being its own thing that merely pays homage to Thief, I think that could accidentally drive some people away or cause confusion. I think it would be cool if we had something like a "fan kit" of promo images (artwork and screenshots) depicting the setting's nature and atmosphere, downloadable for anyone who wants to review TDM online (whether via text review, or video review). I think it would give TDM's separate identity and "openThief" image a good boost.

Edited by Petike the Taffer
spacing

Open Thief... Hey, I like that! ;) Thing about the TDM guy is that hes often reimagined by mappers, though we all use the same HUD arm model. We do have a full player model, which is not that different from the new Thief character, and its been used for ingame cutscenes and trailers before, but its not high poly enough and not meant to be seen up close (I believe some animations are missing). I guess some sort of artwork would probably be easier to come by than a great looking, original rigged model you can use to render shots from. But thats not that easy to come by either... I guess just our clockwork logo and architecture shots will have to do for now.

Edited by RPGista

On 9/27/2018 at 11:26 PM, RPGista said:

Open Thief... Hey, I like that! ;) Thing about the TDM guy is that hes often reimagined by mappers, though we all use the same HUD arm model. We do have a full player model, which is not that different from the new Thief character, and its been used for ingame cutscenes and trailers before, but its not high poly enough and not meant to be seen up close (I believe some animations are missing). I guess some sort of artwork would probably be easier to come by than a great looking, original rigged model you can use to render shots from. But thats not that easy to come by either... I guess just our clockwork logo and architecture shots will have to do for now.

I actually meant that we should feature artwork with 2 or 3 different takes on the main character, each with subtle differences in attire (though roughly with the same kind of gear), and we'd base these on the characters already established within TDM. Though it's true TDM doesn't have Garrett, it still has plenty of various professional (and less professional) thieves of its own. That variety and its "you're not (always) playing a Garrett clone" undertone could help TDM move away from being seen as "just a Thief homage that lacks Garrett".

Going by the list of major named protagonists we've seen in FMs so far, I suppose the most popular or frequented ones could appear in such rough portraits. Corbin (who appears in the base game mini-campaign and other FMs), Farrell (many earlier missions), Thomas Porter (his own campaign by sotha), or William Steele (Grayman's shorter, but detailed campaign).

TDM isn't a game we present to the world on the basis of iconic characters, but nevertheless, I think a game about thieves emphasising the variety of its established thief characters isn't a bad thing. Just to give the newcomers an idea that TDM's setting and characters aren't generic and there's some good storytelling and characterisation in the missions, in addition to good level design.

spacing

Oh, I didn't realise it's supposed to be him. Though it's just the generic model, right ?

Someone needs to tell me how to turn on third person view and I'll try posing the thief character in a few existing missions with nice sceneries. :P:D

Nope, that's the character model that oDDity created.

But does it differ from the one used ingame ?

We do have the portrait of our Thief that appears in the main menu as well as the DR launch window. Its a pretty good picture, I quite like it, but havent seen it available on its own anywhere.

menu1.jpg

Edited by RPGista
  • Like 1

That background image of the player, is one of the sidefigures images you can find it in file "tdm_gui01.pk4" in subfolder path "\dds\guis\assets\mainmenu\".

Its one of the sidefigure-"number".dds images.

And see the model in action, in the tdm 1.0 trailer #2 at 01:10 (see spoiler}

Someone needs to tell me how to turn on third person view..

for the thirdperson view command, its "pm_thirdperson 1". Edited by freyk
  • Like 1

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

That background image of the player, is one of the sidefigures images you can find it in file "tdm_gui01.pk4" in subfolder path "\dds\guis\assets\mainmenu\".

Its one of the sidefigure-"number".dds images.

And see the model in action, in the tdm 1.0 trailer #2 at 01:10 (see spoiler}

for the thirdperson view command, its "pm_thirdperson 1".

The one used in game is a low-poly version of the same model.

We do have the portrait of our Thief that appears in the main menu as well as the DR launch window. Its a pretty good picture, I quite like it, but havent seen it available on its own anywhere.

Thank you all. I know about the character model's cameo in the old first trailer, but the rest of the info is fairly new to me. (Okay, the GUI pk4 is fairly obvious, but I didn't bother to search for those dds format images before. I might take a look at them later.)

And sorry for the digression. Back to this being a news thread. :)

• 4 months later...

This one from Bloody Disgusting sorta looks like a paraphrase from PC Gamer:

https://bloody-disgusting.com/video-games/3544734/thief-total-conversion-dark-mod-given-spit-shine-update/

• Like 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

• Like 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

• 1 month later...

Since the launch of The Accountant 2 I have noticed an excellent increase in the depth, puzzle complexity and advancement of the characters and missions. Personally I love story missions because they add serious depth.

Since I first found the Dark Mod I've become a hardcore fan. I love the way the Mod and the missions are evolving and it compares easily to the best commercial suites out there!

• Like 2

Personally I love story missions because they add serious depth.

Me too! I recently played "Patently Dangerous" and it was so great to see what started off as a simple "steal some blueprints" mission into a murder mystery. Some TDM fan missions have more story then current AAA blockbusters :)!

• Like 3

• 6 months later...

We have been mentioned in this little video. The author thought our name was Looking Glass, however. I added an appropriate comment to the video.

EDIT: Gonna download the Renegade X Single Player campagin "Black Dawn", which had also been recommended in this video. :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

• 1 month later...

Don't know if this has been posted, but there's a popular Twitch streamer (Tomato Gaming) who's done a couple of livestreams of TDM missions. Here's a Youtube archive of the ones he's done so far:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLOiTQjyPiqo2L2Y8ur2A-Cixv0nT1yzOa

If he's streamed one of your missions, I'd definitely recommend tracking down the related Twitch stream, since it's a lot of fun to watch the chat reactions.

• Like 4

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

• 2 months later...

I asked some local famous Dutch game-journalists,
if they ever helped other game communities voluntarily in their spare time (during the corona crisis):
Gamekings - "brievenmaandag" ("mail monday") 23 march 2020

In this episode they answered my question (in dutch) by:
And said there helped some other game projects, by calling out our game name.
They helped our community by calling out the name of our game!!
10 year existens, mentioned that were looking for people.
And that we got tools to help.

See the following video:
(from 32:18)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xv1WfJkp6D4

Edited by freyk
  • Like 3

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

• 2 weeks later...