The Dark Mod Forums

[Updated] FM: The Siege Shop (v4.4) by PranQster and lowenz (2020/3/16)

PranQster

Just played the beginning to check the note to Pyle and I found a couple of things

Right at the start

the addition of a failed rope arrow was a really nice touch but this is where I had a problem.

I fired the rope arrow but then I was stuck - couldn't move at all and needed to noclip out of it

post-8491-0-28647600-1392134826_thumb.jpg

Yeah, I did that once too, but for some reason I still failed to wrap playerclip around that stuff. My bad.

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

Not an expert on that, but can't you set all the modi in the xrandr manually, if you know them?

Maybe. I'm not sure. I had all the modelines set up in xorg.conf and even tried using those again with edid turned off, but xorg only then allowed 800x600 resolution and ignored all modes set in xorg.conf. Anyway, it's working well/properly now with the Viewsonic, so I'm not going to mess with any manual mode settings. I like the display on the Samsung screens, but both models I own have the same issue with the edid modes...only 16x10 available in max resolution.

• 6 months later...

Playing through again on 2.02 and attempting to ghost with no knockouts - that may be impossible but we will see

One thing I noticed which was really impressive the guard with the master locker key was going through all the lockers but since I had pick pocketed it he tried but couldn't open them.

I haven't seen that effect before - a really nice touch

Update - completed on Difficult and Hardcore/Hardcore with one water arrow left but not too stealthy - so it is possible although the sequence is important to get enough water arrows

The stealth score would have been better but I took out a couple of candles with broadheads

post-8491-0-67500200-1410288190_thumb.jpg

Edited by Oldjim
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

I've been away awhile, with real-life and (ahem... lotro) and other things.

No major spoilers here, just some AI pathing behavior...

Oldjim - Thank you for the positive comments. Actually, that officer is making sure the footlockers are locked. I never got around to making him go on alert when finding an open one. I also did not get the AI to first unlock, then open, look, close and re-lock the footlocker. He goes through the motions, but doesn't actually do any locking/unlocking.

I was originally hoping to get that guard to react differently to an unlocked footlocker. The first plans included references to S. Kubrik's 'Full Metal Jacket', and early versions of the map even had a jelly doughnut in one of the footlockers (Pyle's). I removed that stuff for version 3, but still wanted an officer doing inspection.

I was planning on having the officer do one of two things:

1. Easy and Medium levels: Officer simply re-locks the footlockers found open or unlocked.

2. Hard level: Officer raises alarm upon finding unlocked or opened footlocker. The player would have an option of re-locking the footlockers and doors.

I never got that far :)

Edited by PranQster
  • Like 1

Now I need to see if the official version 3, with rain and moving grass, is the downloadable one. Or if it was replaced by my trimmed down "directors cut" release.

I hate to be giving this map the george lucas treatment, but for 2.0.3 I want to have the most complete version available.

• 1 month later...

I don't think I played the v3 but I was astonished at the visual upgrade from whatever edition I previously played.

The lighting in particular seems to have hit the right contrast sweet spot for TDM's look.

Great use of the new v2.03 assets and features too.

• Like 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Thanks for the update!

Just a curious question: with v4 the stripped down Directors Cut version is now obsolete and officially dead?

Yes. I had released that version to fix several performance issues, especially the rain and grass. I removed the animated grass, but got the rain back in. Most other changes are textures and decorations, but there is an AI which now has some new paths.

I also moved the guard/key room forward a bit and also moved the workshop doors forward a bit. Else I had an 8 unit thick wall, backed with natural stone of the cave. That looked quite silly. I also could not resist updating the textures. :-)

• 1 month later...

Playing your mission right now. Very impressive design of the level, splendid work! Atmospheric, rain - feels very good.

Edited by Anderson
  • Like 1

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

I've been playing this and noticed the same problem as an earlier poster, where the game slows down to treacle after a certain point.

It's not to do with overall performance - it's some sort of trigger that happens in certain circumstances. I think it happens after I go through the doors on the left in the area with the steambot just past the siege workshop. Then everything gets increasingly slower until it's unplayable, even going back to areas where the performance was fine earlier.

I'm going to try again with noclip to see if it still happens when moving through different areas.

It's a nice, enjoyable mission apart from that, and is certainly a lot bigger than I thought it was going to be

Edited by Peanut

Did you leave the door open?

Nope... opening/closing doors wasn't helping. This is a weird slowdown, it keeps getting slower, not just remaining at a constant slowness.

edit: Trying this again, it doesn't seem to be related to opening a specific door. However when it happens, if I turn on noclip, then move through the map like 2 rooms or so, it appears to fix it. If I then go back to the place where I first notice the slowdown, the slowdown has gone.

edit 2: I can't seem to reproduce the slowdown when I reload a saved game at the point where it has already slowed down, however, I can consistently get it when I reload a saved game just a few minutes before it starts slowing down. Also, noclipping outside of the normal play area seems to fix it.

Edited by Peanut

• 2 weeks later...

Strange. I used to have some low fps in the 'briefing room' at the bottom of the big elevator, but thought I had fixed that. Some much desired visportals had to be left out of the elevator shaft, else pathfinding would break. I wonder if the slowdown is related to that.

• 2 months later...