The Dark Mod Forums

[Updated] FM: The Siege Shop (v4.4) by PranQster and lowenz (2020/3/16)

PranQster

On 12/25/2019 at 5:16 AM, Anderson said:

The most updated map of TDM needs OpenAL support (reverb sound). Any plans for that?

On 12/25/2019 at 11:16 AM, lowenz said:

"EFX" (through OpenAL Soft)

.....and restore the original animated grass :D

I've been so busy. I'll try to get to this.

• Like 1

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

Got the windows version of DR working in linux. Installed the 64bit version via Steam 'non-steam-game' installation and running it with steamplay/Proton 5.0-1 (wine).

So far I have only opened a map and looked around. Hopefully DR will work properly.

• Like 1

These look and sound great!

I'll try to get more testing done tomorrow.

(I have my own flame-glare mod installed so I'll need to test performance without it.)

• Like 2

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

5 hours ago, PranQster said:

• Fixed fog at waterfall inside the cave

After some time (1 minute?) standing on the wood platform the waterfall sound disappears, please fix! ;) (I'm testing with the self compiled trunc version)

Moving around the corridor and turning back -> sounds reappears. Loop problem?

Edited by lowenz
  • Like 1

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Another thing, maybe TDM-wide: frobbing notification sound is EFX-affected. It's classy and a bit nostalgic (you know, those good old A3D/EAX days now long gone 😛 ) but underwater not very good.

Edited by lowenz
  • Like 1

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

10 hours ago, lowenz said:

After some time (1 minute?) standing on the wood platform the waterfall sound disappears, please fix! ;) (I'm testing with the self compiled trunc version)

Moving around the corridor and turning back -> sounds reappears. Loop problem?

Def sounds like a loop problem. Will check tonight. 

• Like 1

On 2/12/2020 at 2:31 AM, lowenz said:

Another thing, maybe TDM-wide: frobbing notification sound is EFX-affected. It's classy and a bit nostalgic (you know, those good old A3D/EAX days now long gone 😛 ) but underwater not very good.

I'm looking for a solution to this, but don't have much hope.

On 2/12/2020 at 7:33 AM, peter_spy said:

No sure what's the progress with this, but you can always add no_efx keyword to your version of the frob soundshader.

That is already in the tdm_sfx_world soundshader. I tried  doing it custom with no luck. I also tried raising the volume with no luck.

Though... I did this to the basic frob_loot sound. I did not look further for a frob_loot_underwater or such...

To be continued...

Nope, no such thing.

Edited by PranQster
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

News? We got Coronavirus outbreak (RAMPAGE level) here in Bergamo (I'm OK and my tested father too :D ..... for now) so I'm eager to test!

Edited by lowenz
  • Like 1

Ok. Here's a new version. I'll list changes in a little bit.

If nothing is seriously wrong, then this will become the official version.

Siegeshop

* Current Release March 16 2020. This is likely the final version. Current changes:

• Minor tweaks to the start area in the cave.
  • New trees and plants in the outdoor area.
  • Added bushes along the moat.
  • Added some (broken) bars to the open end of the moat.
  • Modified the design of the basket for the hot air balloon.
  • Changed the outdoor lights a bit.
  • Fixed some leaky brushwork and leaking light near the key room.
  • Made sure the cook spends more time cooking than he has been doing.
  • Gave the cook a bit more to work with in the kitchen.
  • The cook keeps the guard captain stocked with herb.
  • Added more rain splash to the top floor area.
  • Made the guards to do more than sit down when visiting the loo.
  • Stunk the place up a bit.
  • Gave a snail some purpose in life.
  • Decorated several rooms and under the stairs.
  • Moved a little loot and added some too.
  • Shed some light on the rec. room, so it's a bit harder to venture there now.
  • Modified a few RIT paths.
  • There is a generator room now where there were two dungeon cells before.
  • It has become the duty of the dungeon guard to check the status of the generator.
  • Freshened up some blood.
  • The flies have multiplied.
  • A couple sounds were changed.
  • A few empty mugs were filled,
  • Reverted the workshop to a lighter rock texture.
  • The drawbridge now moves one time only, since multiple uses can f**k it all up.
  • The drawbridge can now be crossed again by AI once it has been opened. Theoretically, the surviving prisoner in the dungeon can now again make it outside if he has a successful jail-break.
  • Whatever else I forgot...
Edited by PranQster
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'll never be done with this map.

"WARNING:Detected 114 func_static-s with bad rotation:"

Hehe. I have some work cut out for me.

So, I'm going through siegeshop one room at a time and checking all entities which have been rotated and possibly re-scaled via rotation. I am finding many entities which have only ever been rotated by 90 degrees on any axis, but having crazy looking rotation values. These are items which have not been re-scaled and only rotated.

As an example, I have above the cook stove, 'models/darkmod/mechanical/pipes/steam_pipe02_bend2.lwo'. The current one has a rotation value of '-4.21469e-08 -1 0 4.21469e-08 -1.77636e-15 -1 1 -4.2147e-08 4.21469e-08'. I delete that rotation and then give the pipe 90 degree rotations on X and Y, ending up with rotation value '0 -1 0 0 0 -1 1 0 0'. The pipe ends up the exact size and position as before. I have no idea how those other rotation values had ended up like that.

85 to go, down from 114. About 1/3 of what I fixed so far were entities that I had simply rotated but not scaled.

Edited by PranQster
  • Like 2

All badly rotated entities were either fixed or replaced. So the next released version will be compliant with future releases of TDM.

Next I will go through the map and adjust all the lights to look good with 2.08. Then comes a new start area, outdoors, before the cave. Perhaps it will feature a bit of hide & seek with some patrols on a road. I'd also like to do more integration of the human-built structure with the cave system. And I'll be changing the entire second floor textures and decor to be a less fancy upgrade from the other floors.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, lowenz said:

Thanks man!

Remember to re-add the animated grass 😛

Lol. Not gonna happen. The one time I had it in there was a happy accident. But it was a pain to try to get a proper sized unit of grass. I'll think about it. :)

• Like 1

Well. Everything just came to a screeching halt. I had done a bunch of work AFTER fixing rotation on many entities. Then when testing the map last night I decided to operate the drawbridge.That's when I discovered that the various chain segments which rotate and translate as the drawbridge lowers are now not rotating and transforming to where they need to be.

So I will have to open a backup version of the map and copy the rotation values back to the many chain segments. A future TDM release might break the drawbridge, but for now it requires those bad rotation values to function.

AHA! Those weren't the chains I fixed rotation on. Instead, the chains had become un-bound from the drawbridge due to two entities changing names. I have two metal rings on the drawbridge which the chains are bound to. They were both replaced with properly scaled models, so their names had changed and I had failed to update the binding of the chains.

Drawbridge fixed. All is well.

Edited by PranQster
  • Like 3