The Dark Mod Forums

[Updated] FM: The Siege Shop (v4.4) by PranQster and lowenz (2020/3/16)

PranQster

On 5/12/2020 at 11:35 AM, duzenko said:

I have all the keys (I think, including stolen, officer, and captain), but still can't open the desk in the music room

Picks won't do either

There is a specific key for that desk and it is not any of the ones you named.

Spoiler

Try the other desk at the other end of the map.

• Like 1

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

14 minutes ago, PranQster said:

There is a specific key for that desk and it is not any of the ones you named.

Reveal hidden contents

Try the other desk at the other end of the map.

Oh wow

Do you spawn the key when opening the desk? It's not there before open

I'd also like to report a bug

If you close that desk door, you can't open it any more. If you don't frob the key before the close, you can't complete the mission

13 hours ago, duzenko said:

Oh wow

Do you spawn the key when opening the desk? It's not there before open

I'd also like to report a bug

If you close that desk door, you can't open it any more. If you don't frob the key before the close, you can't complete the mission

OK I'll look into this. I am currently working on this mission, yet again, to finish things I never got around to and to fix things for future TDM versions.

Yes, I can verify that the door becomes unfrobbable when closed. So if the key was not picked up when open, it is unreachable. Will fix.

I am suspecting the frob control box inside the desk is changing the frob control of the door itself and not just the contents of the desk. I'll try resizing this to not interfere with the door.

And that is exactly what was happening. The door was touching the frob control entity, causing the door itself to become non-frobable when closed.  Fixed for two doors in that desk.

This will need to wait until the next release. I have done a massive amount of work which is not yet ready.

Edited by PranQster
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Damn, the same exact thing happened to me and here I was searching the map over and over on how to open that desk :(! Is there any way to get the key by a console command? Also as you certainly would want to fix that, the prisoner is named "Unconcious guard" when carrying him which is probably wrong, and why did you make almost all the food not edible?

• Like 2

On 6/20/2020 at 1:51 PM, wesp5 said:

Damn, the same exact thing happened to me and here I was searching the map over and over on how to open that desk :(! Is there any way to get the key by a console command? Also as you certainly would want to fix that, the prisoner is named "Unconcious guard" when carrying him which is probably wrong, and why did you make almost all the food not edible?

I'll check into all of this. I'm likely a week away from having a beta ready, so all of this will be addressed soon.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, wesp5 said:

Isn't there a console command to spawn an item? Like on the Source engine it's "give item_*". I don't really want to replay everything because of this bug...

I don't know. I've never used any such command.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2020 at 11:08 AM, PranQster said:

OK I'll look into this. I am currently working on this mission, yet again, to finish things I never got around to and to fix things for future TDM versions.

Yes, I can verify that the door becomes unfrobbable when closed. So if the key was not picked up when open, it is unreachable. Will fix.

I am suspecting the frob control box inside the desk is changing the frob control of the door itself and not just the contents of the desk. I'll try resizing this to not interfere with the door.

And that is exactly what was happening. The door was touching the frob control entity, causing the door itself to become non-frobable when closed.  Fixed for two doors in that desk.

This will need to wait until the next release. I have done a massive amount of work which is not yet ready.

Allow me to re-post what I already posted. That part about the door becoming non-frobable applies to all contents of the desk as well. It has been fixed. This fix will be in the next release, which will be relatively soon.

Edited by PranQster
  • Like 1

Damn! Can this Frob Control Box be toggled by console? Or can you give me its name, so I can try removing it? I imagine this is kind of a protection so you can't frob the items inside through the walls? Also while you are fixing the mission, why not swap your custom oil lamps with the normal ones that can be exstinguished in my Unofficial Patch?

Edited by wesp5
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, wesp5 said:

Damn! Can this Frob Control Box be toggled by console? Or can you give me its name, so I can try removing it? I imagine this is kind of a protection so you can't frob the items inside through the walls? Also while you are fixing the mission, why not swap your custom oil lamps with the normal ones that can be exstinguished in my Unofficial Patch?

'bureau_door_frob_controlD2' is the name. Yes, the frob control makes the items frobable when the door is open and not when closed. The door itself was clipping the frob control brush, causing the door to become unfrobbable when it was closed. So if the key wasn't grabbed while the door was initially open, it can't be retrieved.

All oil lamps have been replaced, but not all with lights which can be extinguished. ;) That may change, but some parts of this map will be easier while other parts will be more difficult.

Edited by PranQster
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, PranQster said:

'bureau_door_frob_controlD2' is the name. Yes, the frob control makes the items frobable when the door is open and not when closed.

Okay, so removing that entity didn't work. Anybody know a way to activate it in the console?

• Like 1

FYI, everyone, I'm likely about 1 week (yeah, right) away from Siege Shop v. 5.0 (Beta).

This will be the biggest re-design since v. 3, and the final version of the mission (sans bug fixes for future TDM releases).

I just need to make a new cave area for the player to pass through, finalize some lights, adjust some AI paths, and finish modifying/decorating about 3 or 4 rooms. I also have some fancy furniture which needs to be replaced with some rougher furniture. Readables will then be given a once-over and it will be ready to release for Beta testing.

Edited by PranQster
  • Like 3

Scratch that last post claim of 1 week. Time flies faster than I realize. Also, I have a few more ideas which I feel need to be incorporated into version 5.

I also need to experiment with the elevator call positions a bit more. AI are sometimes hesitant to step onto the platform after having called the elevator to their floor.

Since I will be re-doing the cave at the beginning of the map, it would be a good time to re-do the cliff walls as well. The player will require more hiding places in the outdoor area, due to changes with the way things are illuminated. Some creative landscaping is due to accommodate this.

Edited by PranQster
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2020 at 6:49 AM, D.Brown said:

the skull with the shroom growing out of its eyehole? dude i lmao really hard. fantastic.

I put quirky little things all over the place. Thanks for the encouragement :)

Since I'm in the process of a final major update of the mission's aesthetics, I'll be sure to put some more little things here and there.

• Like 2

After having broken the elevator, and having fixed it again, it's having some issues again. AI sometimes get stuck entering or exiting the elevator. This is not related to pathfinding or m/c issues. When that was happening, the AI would go through their path motions even though they couldn't reach them.

What is happening now is AI simply not loading onto or off of the elevator, thus not continuing with their path. The player can help by calling the elevator to another floor, causing the AI to re-call the elevator and continue on their merry way.

It seems that the more elevators and mover_multistate platforms are in the map, the worse the behavior gets (nope, that wasn't it), and I added another mover_multistate to the mission, not even near the existing paths of the AI or elevators. This was first another func_elevator, but the AI all had immediate problems loading onto the existing elevators. When this new thing was changed to a mover_multistate, the AI started using the elevators in a more reliable manner. But they still sometimes get stuck.

EDIT: Progress is being made with the elevator. I have edited the Y and Z origin values for the multistate position entities and the elevator is working much better. I think I got the Z values set fine, but the Ys need some fine tuning. On the last build I did not see any issues with AI using the elevator.

So:

I will make a copy of the mission and experiment with redesigning it with only one 3-floor elevator, preferably near t he middle of the building. I'll delete the elevators at the west and east ends and try the central elevator only. The balloon was always an 'atdm:mover_multistate', and now is a new item I added which I am not willing to remove.

So... the elevator likely needs to be moved. I can't release the map with the AI getting confused over whose turn it is to press a button or step onto/off-of a platform.

EDIT: I did remove the 2-floor elevator in favor of stairs, despite having made improvements to the 3-floor elevator.

Edited by PranQster
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Almost done.

I have a few things to decide upon; a new route for the player to take...maybe. Maybe not.

I did just get rid of the 3-floor elevator as well. There were too many issues and I was spending too much time working on it. It looks much better with stairs now. Stairs also open many more possible AI paths.

I need to go over the readables too. This is a pain because the readables editor lets me create new readables (apending the siegeshop.xd file), but it does not allow me to save changes to those readables unless I change the readable definition name. DR seems to think the readable has been loaded from an pk4. Anyway, I have a workaround which does the trick, but it's still a pain in the ass.

Right now, things are looking pretty good, but I mostly want to tweak the readables and the AI paths. Some animations I chose are not working well for some AI. A little more work (or a lot) is still to be done on the cave near the start. I'll probably re-do the rock wall surrounding the balloon area. I'll add some bushes here and there and some hiding places.

Edited by PranQster
removed a redundant word
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

There is a light at the end of the tunnel. No train detected.

This update is nearly finished. This will feel like a much more thorough mission than before.

I have a little more spit and polish to do inside the building and a little more decorating outside. Then comes a re-vamp of the readables. After that is just finishing details such as the splash screen gui stuff.

• There will be a whole new outdoor start area.
  • There will be two paths out of the cave.
  • There will be some new, unique things (or so I hope).
  • Some previously broken things, such as frob control boxes, were fixed.
  • Massive re-decoration was done.
  • The fortress is a darker, dirtier place from top to bottom.
    • It also looks much more lived-in now.
  • The Siege Shop is now an equal opportunity employer.
  • A few more employees were hired to manage the new area.
  • The elevators were removed due to lack of maintenance. That, and the officers were getting lazy.
  • The generator was upgraded, despite the removal of the elevators.
  • The storm outside has worsened quite a lot. Be careful out there... 😈
  • Several more things moving on splines. It seems we're not limited to two or three anymore. :)
  • The most graphically violent feature in the dungeon has been moved to a more humorous location.
  • You might see a rat or four.
  • You might see a horse or three.
  • You might see some things with eight legs.

I think I'll be asking for two or three testers quite soon. 

Edited by PranQster
  • Like 3

• 2 years later...

Playing this mission for the first time and very much enjoying the clever layout.  The mechanics of flying the hot air balloon were fun including the visuals associated with it!

Anyhow, I cannot find the key for the Evidence room down in the dungeon.  if someone could help I'd be very grateful.

There is also a frobbable scroll in the lab on top of a desk that when I pick up I can't drop, read or add to my inventory.  I then have to reload a prior save to continue the game.  Is this scroll essential?

Thank you authors for your work!

Edit:   Ok, I had to body search a few unconscious guards and found one who was hiding the key from me. Got into the Evidence room ok. The scroll in the workshop still messes me up but apparently it has nothing to do with the mission, so I just avoided it. 

Edited by bobber1
progress
  • Like 1