The Dark Mod Forums

Call for TDM 2.0 Mac builds

texmex

I know that since the developer team has little or no access to Mac machines it's been hard to get Mac builds up. In the past, at least in the case of 1.08, users has been contributing builds themselves. For 1.08, malex984 did the work to get it running pretty much flawlessly. Can it be done again, for 2.0 this time? Anyone else with the skills up for it?

Also, congratulations on the new release! Milestone stuff!

Edited by texmex
  • Like 1

I may be interested to do the Mac adaptation, depending on the interest in it.Who will be ready to help out and test it?

Hi Malex, I was the one who updated the instructions to the wiki for your 1.08 update. I now have a 'Hackintosh' (Core i7 2.6Ghz, nVidia NVS4200) which should be just about fast enough to do testing on.

TODOs i am thinking about:

* make a git repository with official sources (exists already) and fixed sources for OSX (not yet),

* produce instructions on creating working setup and building binaries

Besides, I will likely refrain from producing binaries for everybody (there will be source updates only).

Therefore please get and install XCode (preferably the latest available for your OSX) if you want to help or test.

Any comments?

Besides, I will likely refrain from producing binaries for everybody (there will be source updates only).

Therefore please get and install XCode (preferably the latest available for your OSX) if you want to help or test.

Any comments?

Least I can do I guess, although I'm not very apt in compiling. :)

For the next 'major' release I plan to have us moved over to cmake/sdl, which will remove a lot of the work/effort on the OSX side of things, I will need people to test it. But yeah, I do plan on trying to make the OSX side a lot more pleasant to build :)

Next major is still far away I suppose?

For the next 'major' release I plan to have us moved over to cmake/sdl, which will remove a lot of the work/effort on the OSX side of things, I will need people to test it. But yeah, I do plan on trying to make the OSX side a lot more pleasant to build :)

I had a hard time dealing with BOTH scons and xcode projects when i was adapting TDM 1.8 for OSX :(

For me a build system with cmake would be very handy :)

What is its state right now?

What is its state right now?

I am going to do the whole port from scratch again, it took 3-4 full days last time to get it perfect-ish. I will be porting on FreeBSD -Current, so we share a fair bit of similarity, should be fairly easy once its all done.

I will start on it this weekend. I assume we'll do a minor revision for some path issues in the next few days (just new bins), but... yeah other than that I don't see a point trying to rush the porting work.

My git repo (https://bitbucket.org/malex984/tdm/) is a bit out of date right now but i will update it soon.

This repo is private but i can invite any bitbucket user as a collaborator - please register and let me know your nickname there.

ps:

Alternatively, i could make this repo. public, but i am not sure about the current policy of the TDM core team with respect to the mirroring of the official SVN repo.

Please let me know if it would be Ok?!

Besides, as i was out of touch for quite a while - what about an official git mirror for TDM?

I also tried compiling using this guide and got no where, though I didn't have much time to try and figure out where it went wrong. I installed scons using Homebrew so this might have caused some problems with environment variables. The very first error that cause the compilation to fail was:

In file included from game/../idlib/precompiled.h:135,
			 from game/precompiled_game.h:28:
game/../idlib/../renderer/qgl.h:47:16: error: gl.h: No such file or directory
In file included from game/../idlib/../renderer/qgl.h:58,
			 from game/../idlib/precompiled.h:135,
			 from game/precompiled_game.h:28:

and then a slew of errors after that.

I'm not sure what the flag MACOSX_TARGET_ARCH="i386" is supposed to do. I could not find a reference to it in the SConstruct file, though I admit I dont know much about scons.

Anyways, I'd like to help in the work of getting a Mac build of the game.

My specs are:

Model Identifier: MacBookPro3,1

Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory 6 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 256 MB

Software OS X 10.8.5 (12F37)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. I tried to use the present scons build system and managed to produce libgame.dylib after fixing some issues (sorry, not yet pushed to the repo) :-)

Why, i wonder, ONLY x86 bit cpu architecture is supported and 32 bit host machine is assumed during the build process?

Does this mean that there will be no 64 bit build of TDM?

Further on, what is the point of GLimp? GL-logging?

• Like 1

The Dhewm 3 branch merge should resolve the 64-bit question. As for the lack of PPC? This may be a remnant from changes that were made when it was presumed we would not

be getting any assistance with the MAC builds? Perhaps this will help you find the missing bits:

http://fabiensanglard.net/doom3_macosx/index.php

?

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)