The Dark Mod Forums

Call for TDM 2.0 Mac builds

texmex

I think I will try and preserve the PPC stuff, I actually made the endian handling a bit more robust... I wont be testing it however as I don't have any PPC hardware (Hard to get Effika etc locally, I have looked :))

Started doing the porting again, its just slow and boring, specially since its the second time I'm doing this. So timeline is a bit 'when it gets there'.

I think I will try and preserve the PPC stuff, I actually made the endian handling a bit more robust... I wont be testing it however as I don't have any PPC hardware (Hard to get Effika etc locally, I have looked :))

Started doing the porting again, its just slow and boring, specially since its the second time I'm doing this. So timeline is a bit 'when it gets there'.

It is good to hear that you are also working on a TDM port for Mac OS X.

What is you progress so far?

Do you publish your changes?

My work is only for the next major release, it has a lot of hurdles to get through before then.

I'll be branching in the repo sometime soon, but dont expect to be able to use it for a fair bit.

I've repaired my old port, so that I have something to compare the code to this time. So hopefully I can make it a cleaner port and not have too much trouble getting it accepted. I'll make a thread about my work once I have got through the engine portion (technically, the mod code could be hacked to work on it at that stage).

But I'm fixing a netbook that an 18 month old managed to find, turns out SSDs don't like power trouble. So there goes another night.

• Like 1

Is there any PPC Mac which can run TDM at playable framerates? ;)

PPC doesn't imply Mac really, I guess people might like the challenge or something. Where possible the code uses generic stuff which is portable (as opposed to the faster but more annoying assembly). So it's possible someone could want to run it on a ps3 dev kit or something. No idea how well it'd run on ppc64, but it doesnt really make the code much cleaner by removing 100 lines or so of endian handling.

You never know, MIPS and ARM stuff will require similar support anyway, a few hints wont hurt.

Hi guys,

i managed to build the core executable :-)

Unfortunately it is useless as it is now since it only outputs the following (while showing the starting TDM graphics):

TDM 2.00 #0 MacOSX-universal Oct 29 2013 06:28:00																						   
loopback																																	
IP: ...
NetMask: 255.255.255.0																													  
Found Intel CPU with Hyper-Threading enabled, features: MMX SSE SSE2 SSE3 CMOV															  
tdm using MMX & SSE for SIMD processing.																									
enabled Flush-To-Zero mode																												  
enabled Denormals-Are-Zero mode																											 
------ Initializing File System ------																									  
Current search path:																														
 $HOME/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/																						 
File System Initialized.																													
--------------------------------------																									  

Unknown command 'vid_restart'																											   

idRenderSystem::Shutdown()																												  
----- Shutting down GL -----																												
FIXME: Sys_FadeScreen																													   
FIXME: Sys_UnfadeScreens																													
----- Done shutting down GL -----																										   
I18NLocal: Shutdown.																														
Sys_Error: Couldn't load default.cfg																										
About to exit with code 1																												   

Program exited with code 01.																												
No stack.		 

Any ideas how to dig it out ASAP?

It appears to be using a search path for 'Doom 3', shouldn't it be searching in 'darkmod'?

I will check.

Although, it may be the base path where D3 looks for game directories (e.g. base/ AND darkmod/ ).

besides, i would expect 'not found' error message in case of such a problem...

ps: for reference TDM1.08 starts with the following output:

TDM 1.08 #0 MacOSX-universal Dec  8 2012 18:15:55
loopback
NetMask: 255.255.0.0
doom using MMX & SSE & SSE2 & SSE3 for SIMD processing.
Current search path:
 $HOME/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod
 .../Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/tdm_textures_wood01.pk4 (293 files)
 .../Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/...
 .../Library/Application Support/Doom 3/base
 .../Library/Application Support/Doom 3/base/pak008.pk4 (3 files)
 .../Library/Application Support/Doom 3/base/...
File System Initialized.
----- Initializing Decls -----

I'm not really that clued up regarding the OS X path setup routines, but you might have to change the Default*Path methods to be more in line with the Linux ones. I don't really know much/anything about OS X path conventions, but if you can give me a primer, I will try to fix the paths for MacOS as best I can.

I am the bat. The night is mine.

Hi guys,

i managed to build the core executable :-)

Unfortunately it is useless as it is now since it only outputs the following (while showing the starting TDM graphics):

-code-

Well i got an other output, running your 1.08 build of the app in darkmod 2.0

Maybe it helps to debug.

Start command:

/Users/freyk/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/TDM.app/Contents/MacOS/Doom\ 3 +set fs_basepath "/Users/freyk/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod"  +set com_allowConsole 1 +set r_fullscreen 0

TDM 1.08 #0 MacOSX-universal Dec  8 2012 18:15:55
loopback
IP: 192.168.3.9
doom using MMX & SSE & SSE2 & SSE3 for SIMD processing.
WARNING:Reading currentfm: (/Users/freyk/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/currentfm.txt)...
WARNING:Setting fs_currentfm to be darkmod
Current search path:
 /Users/freyk/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod
 /Users/freyk/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/tdm_textures_wood01.pk4 (297 files)
 /Users/freyk/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/tdm_textures_window01.pk4 (234 files)
 /Users/freyk/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/tdm_textures_stone_sculpted01.pk4 (312 files)
 /Users/freyk/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/tdm_textures_stone_natural01.pk4 (110 files)
 /Users/freyk/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/tdm_textures_stone_flat01.pk4 (271 files)
 /Users/freyk/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/tdm_textures_stone_cobblestones01.pk4 (192 files)
 /Users/freyk/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/tdm_textures_stone_brick01.pk4 (390 files)
 /Users/freyk/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/tdm_textures_sfx01.pk4 (41 files)
 /Users/freyk/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/tdm_textures_roof01.pk4 (65 files)
 /Users/freyk/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/tdm_textures_plaster01.pk4 (124 files)
 /Users/freyk/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/tdm_textures_paint_paper01.pk4 (37 files)
 /Users/freyk/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/tdm_textures_nature01.pk4 (218 files)
 /Users/freyk/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/tdm_textures_metal01.pk4 (360 files)
 /Users/freyk/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/tdm_textures_glass01.pk4 (36 files)
 /Users/freyk/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/tdm_textures_fabric01.pk4 (38 files)
 /Users/freyk/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/tdm_textures_door01.pk4 (155 files)
 /Users/freyk/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/tdm_textures_decals01.pk4 (317 files)
 /Users/freyk/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/tdm_textures_carpet01.pk4 (71 files)
 /Users/freyk/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/tdm_textures_base01.pk4 (323 files)
 /Users/freyk/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/tdm_standalone.pk4 (4 files)
 /Users/freyk/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/tdm_sound_vocals_decls01.pk4 (25 files)
 /Users/freyk/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/tdm_sound_vocals07.pk4 (1104 files)
 /Users/freyk/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/tdm_sound_vocals06.pk4 (680 files)
 /Users/freyk/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/tdm_sound_vocals05.pk4 (128 files)
 /Users/freyk/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/tdm_sound_vocals04.pk4 (2337 files)
 /Users/freyk/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/tdm_sound_vocals03.pk4 (739 files)
 /Users/freyk/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/tdm_sound_vocals02.pk4 (1292 files)
 /Users/freyk/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/tdm_sound_vocals01.pk4 (82 files)
 /Users/freyk/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/tdm_sound_sfx02.pk4 (596 files)
 /Users/freyk/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/tdm_sound_sfx01.pk4 (882 files)
 /Users/freyk/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/tdm_sound_ambient_decls01.pk4 (8 files)
 /Users/freyk/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/tdm_sound_ambient03.pk4 (24 files)
 /Users/freyk/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/tdm_sound_ambient02.pk4 (151 files)
 /Users/freyk/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/tdm_sound_ambient01.pk4 (205 files)
 /Users/freyk/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/tdm_prefabs01.pk4 (544 files)
 /Users/freyk/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/tdm_player01.pk4 (123 files)
 /Users/freyk/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/tdm_models_decls01.pk4 (89 files)
 /Users/freyk/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/tdm_models02.pk4 (1809 files)
 /Users/freyk/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/tdm_models01.pk4 (1679 files)
 /Users/freyk/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/tdm_gui_credits01.pk4 (49 files)
 /Users/freyk/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/tdm_gui01.pk4 (667 files)
 /Users/freyk/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/tdm_game02.pk4 (2 files)
 /Users/freyk/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/tdm_game01.pk4 (2 files)
 /Users/freyk/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/tdm_fonts01.pk4 (696 files)
 /Users/freyk/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/tdm_env01.pk4 (98 files)
 /Users/freyk/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/tdm_defs01.pk4 (169 files)
 /Users/freyk/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/tdm_base01.pk4 (149 files)
 /Users/freyk/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/tdm_ai_steambots01.pk4 (24 files)
 /Users/freyk/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/tdm_ai_monsters_spiders01.pk4 (82 files)
 /Users/freyk/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/tdm_ai_humanoid_undead01.pk4 (50 files)
 /Users/freyk/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/tdm_ai_humanoid_townsfolk01.pk4 (79 files)
 /Users/freyk/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/tdm_ai_humanoid_pagans01.pk4 (10 files)
 /Users/freyk/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/tdm_ai_humanoid_nobles01.pk4 (49 files)
 /Users/freyk/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/tdm_ai_humanoid_mages01.pk4 (7 files)
 /Users/freyk/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/tdm_ai_humanoid_heads01.pk4 (69 files)
 /Users/freyk/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/tdm_ai_humanoid_guards01.pk4 (313 files)
 /Users/freyk/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/tdm_ai_humanoid_females01.pk4 (155 files)
 /Users/freyk/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/tdm_ai_humanoid_builders01.pk4 (87 files)
 /Users/freyk/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/tdm_ai_base01.pk4 (8 files)
 /Users/freyk/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/tdm_ai_animals01.pk4 (80 files)
 /Users/freyk/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/darkmod
 /Users/freyk/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/base
File System Initialized.
----- Initializing Decls -----
------------------------------
------- Initializing renderSystem --------
using ARB renderSystem
renderSystem initialized.
I18N: SetLanguage: 'english'.
I18N: Found no character remapping for english.
1213 strings read from strings/english.lang
I18N: 'strings/fm/english.lang' not found.
WARNING:Cannot find guis/mainmenu.gui
WARNING:Couldn't load image: guis/assets/splash/launch
Couldn't open journal files
couldn't exec editor.cfg
execing default.cfg
couldn't exec autoexec.cfg
I18N: SetLanguage: 'english'.
I18N: Found no character remapping for english.
1213 strings read from strings/english.lang
I18N: 'strings/fm/english.lang' not found.
WARNING:Cannot find guis/mainmenu.gui
----- Initializing Sound System ------
sound system initialized.
----- R_InitOpenGL -----
Initializing OpenGL subsystem
 fullscreen: no
800 600 Windowed
ok
FIXME: Sys_UnfadeScreen
------------------
------- Input Initialization -------
3 sound device(s)
 0: ID 58, Built-in Input - Apple Inc.
 1: ID 47, Built-in Output - Apple Inc.
 2: ID 65, Greatdy System Audio - ma++ ingalls for Cycling '74
select default device, ID 47
current nominal rate: 44100
current frame size: 512
frame size allowed range: 14 9216
setting frame size to: 4096
using stereo channel IDs 1 2
Checking portable OpenGL extensions...
v - using GL_ARB_multitexture
v - using GL_ARB_texture_env_combine
v - using GL_ARB_texture_cube_map
v - using GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3
v - using GL_ARB_texture_env_add
v - using GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two
v - using GL_ARB_texture_compression
v - using GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc
v - using GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic
   maxTextureAnisotropy: 16.000000
v - using GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias
X - GL_EXT_texture3D not found
v - using GL_EXT_stencil_wrap
v - using glStencilOpSeparate
X - GL_NV_register_combiners not found
X - GL_ATI_fragment_shader not found
X - GL_ATI_text_fragment_shader not found
v - using GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object
v - using GL_ARB_vertex_program
v - using GL_ARB_fragment_program
v - using EXT_depth_bounds_test
---------- R_NV20_Init ----------
Not available.
----------- R200_Init -----------
Not available.
---------- R_ARB2_Init ----------
Available.
---------------------------------
----- R_ReloadARBPrograms -----
glprogs/test.vfp
glprogs/test.vfp
glprogs/interaction.vfp
glprogs/interaction.vfp
glprogs/bumpyEnvironment.vfp
glprogs/bumpyEnvironment.vfp
glprogs/ambientLight.vfp
glprogs/ambientLight.vfp
glprogs/shadow.vp
glprogs/R200_interaction.vp
glprogs/nv20_bumpAndLight.vp
glprogs/nv20_diffuseColor.vp
glprogs/nv20_specularColor.vp
glprogs/nv20_diffuseAndSpecularColor.vp
glprogs/environment.vfp
glprogs/environment.vfp
glprogs/test_direct.vfp
glprogs/test_direct.vfp
glprogs/interaction_direct.vfp
glprogs/interaction_direct.vfp
-------------------------------
using ARB_vertex_buffer_object memory
using ARB2 renderSystem
WARNING:Unknown string id #str_04343
WARNING:Unknown string id #str_04349
Font fonts/english/stone in size 12 not found, using size 24 instead.
WARNING:Unknown string id #str_04350
Shutting down sound hardware
idRenderSystem::Shutdown()
----- Shutting down GL -----
FIXME: Sys_FadeScreen
FIXME: Sys_UnfadeScreens
----- Done shutting down GL -----
I18NLocal: Shutdown.
Sys_Error: wrong game DLL API version
About to exit with code 1

Edited by freyk

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

Hmm, thx! I have completely forgotten about

+set fs_basepath "$HOME/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod"

and assumed it to be the default setting :(

With this setting i get pretty good console output (via ssh connection). I will have to test it on my testing machine.

ps: preliminary fixes are in my bitbucket repo.

• Like 1

Well, it works for me...

My respect to TDM Core Team - everything seems to work just out of the box!

For lazy testers, I have uploaded some binaries: follow: http://forums.thedar...post__p__302111 but look for TDM2.OSX10_7_i386.tar.bz2

Sources are in my git repo, currently in the branch: TDM2.00_OSX_PORT_00 .

Note that i was forced to use clang for compiling - read osxBuild.sh for more details .

Have Fun!

• Like 1

Hey malex, nice work (again)! I had it up and running on your 10.7 build with the content from this torrent. Should be same as everyone elses.

This far I've yet to discover any in-game flaws, for me it looks the same as 1.08, which is great. The restarts of the client to activate different FMs still doesn't work but instead crashes it and manual upstart is required.

Also, it'd be nice to get the application as a single .app container without the need to drop it in Application Support. But that's smaller potato :D

Cheers!

Specs:

MacBook Pro 8,1

Inte Core i5, 2,4 GHz

8 Gb RAM

Intel HD 3000

Nice work. Given your feedback above, is there anything I can do from a path perspective that will make this just a simple case of having someone with a Mac to compile the binaries or is it already like that?

Anybody with a Mac should be able to build binaries starting with the sources from my repo.

The restarts of the client to activate different FMs still doesn't work but instead crashes it and manual upstart is required.

Strange... i have got no crashes on two different OSX machines running under 10.7 (recent Mac Mini) and 10.6 (old Intel Macbook Pro)...

i would like to get feedback from more testers before i start digging into it.

ps: in case of a reproducible problem, please also report the output from gdb.sh after switching to debug binaries (both links).

Are you able to generate patch files for review and inclusion in the tdm svn?

Well, it is possible but not an easy task since some things were easier to fix in a quick and dirty way :-(

Therefore, i would prefer to do it after testers check and confirm the status of the current beta version of my osx-port.

BTW, are you aware that you have many third-party sources in your codebase that are currently ignored by Scons-scripts in favor of system-wide installed libraries on a Linux host machine? Which also implies that it will be a pain to build TDM on a 64-bit Linux machine without installing 32-bit build of some versions of some libraries...

Edited by malex984

Hey Malex, sorry for taking such a long-ass time to get to work, it's been a busy two weeks. Downloading 2.0 as we speak, will report back if I encounter any problems.

EDIT: Okay, so I'm having trouble getting the program to run. I tried downloading the torrent texmex posted, copying over the binaries I got from mydrive.ch and just running the app. It says "Doom 3 quit unexpectedly". Then I ran it in gdb.sh (from inside the darkmod folder) where it just got stuck in a non-responsive state after which I force quit the program. You can find the output here: http://pastebin.com/t0gv9jMs

I also tried running gdb.sh from my home folder, which produced a much shorter output: http://pastebin.com/wRELAUDG

Am I missing something in the install process?

Edited by 161803398874989

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Digits, Ratio, 16, 1618, or whatever really, as long as it's not Phil.

EDIT: Okay, so I'm having trouble getting the program to run. I tried downloading the torrent texmex posted, copying over the binaries I got from mydrive.ch and just running the app. It says "Doom 3 quit unexpectedly". Then I ran it in gdb.sh (from inside the darkmod folder) where it just got stuck in a non-responsive state after which I force quit the program. You can find the output here: http://pastebin.com/t0gv9jMs

I also tried running gdb.sh from my home folder, which produced a much shorter output: http://pastebin.com/wRELAUDG

Am I missing something in the install process?

please note that using /Users/USERNAME/downloads/darkmod/ is not supported yet...

make sure to use /Users/USERNAME/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/ for everything instead and try (cd /Users/USERNAME/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/ && ./gdb.sh) again.

also make sure that TDM can overwrite /Users/USERNAME/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/game.dylib

ps: /Users/USERNAME/downloads/darkmod/tdm_game03.pk4 should be the one from my archive (TDM servers may provide binaries for TDM1.08 at the moment)

Edited by malex984