The Dark Mod Forums

Call for TDM 2.0 Mac builds

texmex

Malex, i dont get your build (both debug and release files in the tdm.app) running on osx snow leopard (and now on) mavericks.

Build your build of 1.08 runs fine on those os'ses.

What do you need from me to fix this?

Edited by freyk

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

Here's a quick guide to installing, so you can see if you missed any steps:

1. Download the 2.0 binaries from Malex' mydrive: mydrive.ch with username darkmod@malex984 and password darkmod

2. Download the full 2.0 pack. This torrent works.

3. Put the full 2.0 pack in ~/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod

4. Extract and copy over the binaries from Malex, overwriting any conflicts.

5. TDM should now work. If it doesn't, run gdb.sh using the terminal (just type in ~/Library/Application\ Support/Doom\ 3/darkmod/gdb.sh and it should work) and post your output here.

Did you check it was in the /application support/doom 3/darkmod folder?

• Like 2

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Digits, Ratio, 16, 1618, or whatever really, as long as it's not Phil.

Okay, so I couldn't run the game in fullscreen mode: it would just reset the r_fullscreen to 0 every time it loaded. Turns out it was an arg on a file inside the package: contents/MacOS/Doom 3 automatically sets r_fullscreen to 0, which is annoying if you want to play the game in full screen.

Looks stable otherwise. I'll go test some missions now.

Edited by 161803398874989

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Digits, Ratio, 16, 1618, or whatever really, as long as it's not Phil.

I got finnaly also tdm 2.0 working on mac os x mavericks.

My solution are the following steps:

1. Download the full installer from modddb
  2. Download Malex Binary
  3. Open the finder and go to your home folder > Library > Application support
  4. Create the folder and give it the name "Doom 3"
  5. Extract the content of the full installer into the Doom 3-folder.
  6. Go to the Doom 3 folder and rename the unpacked folder "THE DARK MOD Version 2.0 - Standalone Release/" to "darkmod"
  7. Unpack the content of malex's binaries to the darkmod folder.
  8. go to the darkmod folder
  9. delete existing file "tdm_game03.pk4"
  10. rename "tdm_game03.pk4.tdm2.release" to "tdm_game03.pk4"

To run the game, open the terminal and type the following commands (for every line hit the enter-button):

cd ~/Library/Application Support/Doom\ 3/darkmod/TDM.app/Contents/MacOS/
./thedarkmod.x86.release +set fs_basepath "/Users/yourusername/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/"

Edited by freyk

Amnesty for Bikerdude!

Some notes using my sollution:

• You don't need to download the torrent. (downloading that torrent was to slow for me)
  • An standard Mavericks installation/upgrade doesn't have gdb. (And i didn't find gdb Binaries on the internet. Only the source. Some doom 3 users advices lldb.

Edited by freyk

Amnesty for Bikerdude!

Some notes using my sollution:

• You don't need to download the torrent. (downloading that torrent was to slow for me)
  • An standard Mavericks installation/upgrade doesn't have gdb. (And i didn't find gdb Binaries on the internet. Only the source. Some doom 3 users advices lldb.

I also never used torrent since tdm_update.macosx worked for me - just don't forget that official TDM sites provide TDM1.08 binaries for OSX at the moment (AFAIK).

Running TDM under a debugger (e.g. gdb or lldb) is not necessary for playing (as it will slow down TDM) but a great thing while reporting a problem.

• 2 months later...

@161803398874989 I followed your directions and it worked flawlessly. Thanks a lot. I didn't even have doom 3 installed and it worked. Two questions: At this point can I just run the updater and update to 2.1 or would that bring about more issues? And does anyone know how to fix the fullscreen problem?

Edited by mintmind

• 3 weeks later...

Heh, I'm looking for a cheap second-hand MacMini for development and testing of Mac builds. No idea when that will materialise though, but hopefully we'll be able to start packaging tested Mac builds again in the future (New Horizon #1).

I am the bat. The night is mine.

You could build a hackintosh instead, but it want be as conveniient as a mac mini though.

I've been considering that as well. Just comes down to cost really since I don't want to spend too much on the full package (kinda hoping that the new HP and ASUS ChromeBox can be made to run OS X).

I am the bat. The night is mine.

Ok well good places to go for info regarding usein older 7 cheaper PC laptops -

- http://myhack.sojugarden.com/guide/

- http://www.osxlatitude.com/ and list of laptop that already have boot packs - http://www.osxlatitu.../compatibility/

- http://www.osx86.net/index.php?

I was able to turn my Dell Latitude E6420 into a hackintosh (core i7 & nVidia E4200), I havent got around to making dual boot though (Win7/OSX)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The link on that site points to TDM's downloadpage, Bikerdude.

if you boys are thinking about this, I will make a point of trying to get my hackintosh up and running with Mavricks

I upgraded my darkmod installation to 2.01 with the windows updater, because the mac updater didn't find any mirrors.

After running the update, I was hoping to find an 2.01 mac binary inside the folder, but didn't. :(

So i copied malex's 2.0 app to the 2.01 folder and run it.

Malex app works with the updated files(!) and I played succesfully an old saint lucia's mission.

But after the update running the malex binary, darkmod shows the version 2.0 instead of 2.01.

The windows version detects version 2.01.

Is there a way to manually change my version in the mac binary or something else to solve it?

To make new windows/mac players easier, is it possible to port the updater and excutable to unity3d?

At this point can I just run the updater and update to 2.1 or would that bring about more issues?

I updated my installation to 2.01 with the windows updater (through wine).

(if you dont trust the updater, just make an backup of your darkmod folder. Or change the download location in the updater for a full new installation)

At the moment, I dont have full screen problems.

..Now if only there was a DarkRadiant OSX build...

For the time beeing, Run Darkradiant with Wine.

I succesfully started Darkradiant with Wine (through playonmac), but have not the knowledge to create an map.

Edited by freyk

Amnesty for Bikerdude!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I updated my installation to 2.01 with the windows updater (through wine)...

..For the time beeing, Run Darkradiant with Wine.

I succesfully started Darkradiant with Wine (through playonmac), but have not the knowledge to create an map.

For the people who want to know:

Darkmod 2.01 runs quite good under wine (with wine, with playonmac as frontend under mac os x mavericks).

The only bug i found is a standard doom3-wine-bug, you cant change the brightness/gamma in the game.

(looking for solutions,..)

With playonmac you can also create an .app-shortcut, to place it in your applications folder and dock.

Ok, it doesn't work natively. But for the time beeing, it is a good alternative for the missing mac 2.01 build.

If you would like, i can write a instruction for the wiki how to set this up.

Edited by freyk

Amnesty for Bikerdude!