The Dark Mod Forums

fullscreen windowed?

derfy

Alt-tabbing is an old issue. I don't know if they'll get to it, but in the meantime there are applications that let you do it... Dexpot for one. Maybe others.

Edit: With Dexpot, you hit Alt-2 and it jumps you to a 2nd desktop. Alt-1 takes you back to the game.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I thought I had fixed most of the alt-tab and other wonkiness from doom3, I'll take a look into the alt tab.

You can resize the window to anything you want (it actually scales really nicely), just make sure your aspect ratio is correct. I dont know how you would get it to look borderless... but try. As for official support, perhaps via cvar later on. If you could make a feature request on the bug tracker and assign it to me, that'd help remind me.

A solution I use has been really effective, which uses a simple script through AutoHotKey.

1. To do this, download and run AutoHotkey_L_Install.exe (I use 64bit myself, no reason this shouldn't work for 32bit I'm guessing)

Copy this code below: (I have tried to find the original source for this code, but can't find it so apologies for not being able to give the credit to whoever I found this from!)

;-Caption
LWIN & LButton::
WinSet, Style, -0xC40000, A
WinMove, A, , 0, 0, 1920, 1080
return
;

;+Caption
LWIN & RButton::
WinSet, Style, +0xC40000, A
return
;

2. Run your favorite text editor (Notepad) and paste the code into a new document and save it as WindowedFullscreen.AHK (Or whatever_you_want_it_to_be_called.AHK, not a .TXT! You can run this from any folder too.)

• It is probably a good idea to change the resolution numbers in bold to whatever resolution you run Dark Mod in by changing 1920, 1080 to your game's resolution, but I don't think it matters as I set Dark Mod to 16:9 1280x720 and it still fills my screen running a desktop resolution of 1920x1080.

3. Run WindowedFullscreen.AHK by double clicking it and AHK will load the script. AHK should display as a running program down by your clock in the taskbar. (green icon with a white 'H')

4. Now load up Dark Mod and in the video/general settings change Fullscreen to No and restart the game.

5. Dark Mod should now be in windowed mode. Now make sure that the game is the main active window and hold down your Windows Key on the keyboard and click your left mouse button. This should remove the window border and title bar and... well... make Dark Mod fullscreen-windowed mode! Hold down the Windows Key and click the right mouse button to set the window border and title bar back again!

• This also works for other games and programs too, even Firefox. I use this for Minecraft and loads more that have the option to run in a window!

This works for me, please let me know if this doesn't work for you! I hope this helps!

Edited by crowbars82

My Autoexec.cfg contains seta g_fov "65" and seta r_gamma "0.9" for a more immersive Dark Mod experience...

Always expert difficulty every time... all hail the Dark Mod mission authors!

"Hmm, 'tis too quiet... I should summon the minstrel."

Wow, crowbars82. AutoKey has become a monster, a helluva beastie!

I used to use it, seems years ago, and even then it was more than a simple keystrokemacrothing. But, wow, it's just way beyond itself at this point.

Anyway, I'm going to use it for what you have described here and all the other things I can possibly imagine.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Doom 3 engine hates Alt-Tabbing, it likes to keep focus. You can minimize your game without any third party tools using Task Manager in "Always on top" mode. This works with everything I ever had trouble minimizing.

As for AutoHotKey, it's a good idea, but let's simplify that as much as possible. All you actually need to minimize an active window using AHK is this:

!m::WinMinimize, A

Also, AHK supports script compiling so there is no need to have it installed. You don't need it if you don't actually code in it. I have compiled this line of code using ANSI 32-bit encoding for best compatibility and MPRESS packer for smallest size. A nice "M" icon in 48x48 (desktop) and 16x16 (tray) resolution have been included during compilation.

Snatch is from here:

Simple_Minimizer_v1.0_2013-10-24_by_eqagunn.7z

Here is a description from the readme file...

This is a simple software that will minimize any active window if you press Alt+M. All you have to do to use it is run it once and it will sit in your tray area. Written in AHK using only one line of code. Made for The Dark Mod community, but available for anyone to use.

I hope it helps. :)

Edited by eqagunn

The engine has no problems with alt-tab, it's just soft-disabled while you're playing normally. ID disabled a _lot_ of task switching/managing stuff to 'prevent cheating', which annoyed the hell out of me. But since 1.08 I had removed pretty much all of that. However I did leave most of it disabled while you're playing normally, since to me it makes sense.

If you drop down the console with ~ or ctrl+alt+~, you should be able to alt-tab out then. I think this also applies to the main screen, so pressing esc first might also work, but I can't remember.

• 2 months later...

Indeed I would appreciate a method to minimize TDM as well. Would be very nice in order to take notes when beta-testing or whatever else.

(Can't stand the windowed mode, because immersion goes down to 0%)

Alt-Tab works to some extend, but the the game continues to play and my Desktop is not fully accessible, because TDM is still sitting on top.

Also, most of the time my mouse vanishes in Windows. Hence I can't really do anything.

I think when the user runs TDM in fullscreen mode and wants to Alt-Tab to Windows, then the best would be to

- pause the game (e.g. by forcing it to switch to the TDM menu by a simulated push to the 'ESC' key)

- and then minimize it