The Dark Mod Forums

Start menu is all messed up

Slurmp

Hello, a few days ago I was told of this awesome mod by a friend. I've downloaded it and every single time I try and run the game it starts in a very low resolution (around 800x600 I'd say, or less if that's even possible) and there is heavy pixelation on EVERYTHING.

I can't read anything, I can't change the options, I can't start a mission, I can't see any of the menu pictures clearly at all. I can't even fix it, I've tried editing the cfg file and stuff like that, but nothing works at all.

How do I fix this? I REALLY want to get it a go.

If no one else has seen this problem, I'll post a picture of it if I can, but I'm not on my home computer right now.

Hey there,

There are two possible things that spring to mind: What graphics card do you have?

Is the folder that TDM is in, named "darkmod". If you got the torrent, it might be called "THE DARK MOD Version 2.0 - Standalone Release", if that is the case, please rename it to "darkmod". If possible, try putting it in somewhere basic like C:\darkmod\ (As Program Files has certain limitations unless you are running as Admin)

Welcome to the mod!

A screenshot is always helpful... but yes, I think the default resolution is 640x480. What kind of video card do you have? I've never seen a problem like you are describing. Is your darkmod folder named darkmod?

You can also try editing the resolution in the console. When the game is started, press ctrl+alt+` to bring down the console.

Then you can type

r_mode -1

This places the game in custom resolution mode.

r_customwidth 1920

r_customheight 1080

Replace the above numbers with whatever you want to use.

Then just type quit and start the game again to use the new resolution.

Edited by lost_soul

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

I just realized this folder doesn't even have a darkmod.cfg..

I don't even understand why it didn't come with one.

The only way I could take a picture of the main menu was through steam. This is what my game looks like, there is absolutely NO WAY to fix this. I have no idea what the problem is. And my computer is definitely up to the hardware requirements.

Edit: I was able to get the CFG file by using the updater. But my game still looks the way it does..

post-28766-0-47275300-1381529709_thumb.jpg

Edited by Slurmp

You only really see a problem like this when the game can not work out certain things do do with your graphics card, and is going into its most limited set of features.

This can also happen if you are unable to write the config files (it cant remember what your graphics hardware can do, see above).

Try right clicking the exe and 'run as admin' or whatever (you might have to shift+rclick)

----

Please, if you do fix it - let us know how etc, but I'm sure guys here will continue to give you ideas. If you tell us how to fix them, we can either document the issue, and at best fix a real bug -- which would be great.

Wow, it looks like your image_downsizelimit is set to about 16. :) Please do tell us what video card you have and what operating system/driver version. Also, did the TDM updater explicitly tell you that "Your TDM installation is up to date."?

Did you try accessing the in-game console? Just for giggles, type image_downsize and hit enter and then see what it says. By default image_downsize is set to 0, which is disabled. You want it disabled unless you have a low-end computer.

Edited by lost_soul

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

I've got exactly the same problem with my old Samsung RV511 - OK, it's Intel HD only (Intel GMA X4500M DVMT, to be precise) but it ran 1.07 and 1.08 OK(ish)(mostly). It's set to the correct monitor resolution in the cfg file. I opened the console and the text there is unreadably pixellated too. Managed to open 'Too Late' and it looked dire.

For me it's not vital as 2.0 runs fine on my power laptop, but I'd be interested to see if there is a solution - the Samsung is what I take on trips/holidays etc and it'd be nice to be able to play some TDM if I feel like it (albeit at greatly reduced fps rates). :smile:

I've got exactly the same problem with my old Samsung RV511 - OK, it's Intel HD only (Intel GMA X4500M DVMT, to be precise) but it ran 1.07 and 1.08 OK(ish)(mostly). It's set to the correct monitor resolution in the cfg file. I opened the console and the text there is unreadably pixellated too.

Could you try get the game's console log? the more I think of it, the more it sounds like the GL context is failing to be set up.

Very interesting - it is the problem I thought it might be, but I've just never seen a driver offer such low sample count. Did you enable AA (I think AF is defaulted on, which could be a problem) at all?

I'm trying to figure out why it didnt show up in earlier versions.

• 1 month later...

In case it helps anyone; got this sorted (completely accidentally) by going into the 3D settings of my Intel HD control panel and clicking 'Restore defaults'.

I have no memory of adjusting the 3D settings, but, wevs. TDM 2.0 now operating in full 'single-figure fps whenever an AI appears' glory. Hurrah! :smile: