The Dark Mod Forums

Problem with starting some fan missions

RS-STALKER

Hello everybody, I'm RS-STALKER and I just joined. I have to say what you guys did with this mod is simply amazing, nothing short of brilliant. Every single one of you who worked o this mod is awesome and I simply love it. However I do have some problems and hope some of you guys might help.

Some fan missions won't start, I haven't tried all of them but I have run into two fan missions that won't start. One is Alberic's curse where no loading screen comes up, and the mission simply won't start. Another is the mission, Business as usual, the game freezes and crashes every time I try to play that mission, particularly when i press the start mission button. I have noticed though, And I don't know if this might be the problem, that both these missions have a introductory screen with the fancy arrows and "X" at the bottom. No other mission that I've played (that worked) had such an introductory screen, But the mission that I did want to play that did have that particular introductory screen, wont work because the loading screen just won't show.

If any of you guys have some solutions I implore to please share it, cause I'd really like to play these missions

I have windows 7, 64 bit, nvidia GTX 560 graphics card, core i5 intel cpu, and 8 GB of ram, and currently using the dark mod version 2.0

First question...did you download these missions under a previous version of TDM or are they brand new?

The older version isn't fully compatible with 2.0, so you'd see missing textures and particles, and possibly other problems. Biker is aware of the problem and fixing it, so new versions of those missions should be up soon.

I'm seeing this problem: when trying to load the mission the TDM console pops up with this message:

Map: business

glprogs/ambientEnvironment.vfp

TODO: Sys_SetClipboardData

ERROR:file /home/michael/games/darkmod/fms/business/business.pk4/maps/business.proc, line 8887: expected float value, found ')'

This is with TDM 2.0 and a freshly downloaded mission. Looking at the offending file I can't see anything interesting, it looks well formed enough, perhaps there really is just a missing number!

Another is the mission, Business as usual, the game freezes and crashes every time I try to play that mission, particularly when i press the start mission button. I have noticed though, And I don't know if this might be the problem, that both these missions have a introductory screen with the fancy arrows and "X" at the bottom. No other mission that I've played (that worked) had such an introductory screen, But the mission that I did want to play that did have that particular introductory screen, wont work because the loading screen just won't show.

I'm seeing this problem: when trying to load the mission the TDM console pops up with this message:

Map: business

TODO: Sys_SetClipboardData

ERROR:file /home/michael/games/darkmod/fms/business/business.pk4/maps/business.proc, line 8887: expected float value, found ')'

This is with TDM 2.0 and a freshly downloaded mission. Looking at the offending file I can't see anything interesting, it looks well formed enough, perhaps there really is just a missing number!

I am having this exact same error as described by both posts above and I've tried reinstalling and uninstalling the mission a few times through the ingame mission downloader. Just wondering what progress is being done to fix this problem and what the ETA is on a new version getting uploaded.

Bikerdude is the author of that mission; you'd have to ask him.

I saw that Bikerdude had responded in this thread a little under 2 weeks ago and I just wanted to see if he had gotten anywhere in solving the problem since then.

I'm tempted to take a shot at fixing it myself if it really is just a missing float value.

To Bikerdude:

I was wondering what you meant what you said this:

I uploaded this yesterday, somehow the archive got corrupted - enjoy.

Did you mean that you reuploaded just Alberic's Curse or did you reupload both Alberic's Curse and Business As Usual? Alberic's Curse was a fun map by the way. Took me ages to find the doll.

I take it you're using some linux distro? Which grahpics driver are you using? (I've seen a load of similar issues with other projects and catalyst, some mesa drivers). Would be interesting to see if its one in particular.

Actually I'm using Windows. I haven't had any problems graphically so far outside of lag on a few bigger maps or areas with lots of water/opaque windows/guards all in one spot. Crystal Grave and Solar Escape were both fairly laggy in specific areas for me but I got through them by altering my settings with some of the performance tweaks listed on the wiki - and learning to stare at the ground on occasion.

Frankly I only downloaded the mod a few days ago with the release of the standalone update. I don't think the issue is on the graphics end for me but I'm currently using an up-to-date driver for AMD Radeon HD 7300 Series Graphic Card.

Business as Usual fails to start for me too on my windows vista when downloaded Oct 20 and again on Oct 26. Hope some things below help in your investigation. Thanks for a great FM.

Error:

No error message. Pressing start mission on the difficulty screen loads the mission, the progress bar fills in one second, and returns to the start mission difficulty screen.

Saved the FM to, C:\darkmod\fms\business\business.pk4

To test, I installed a fresh darkmod and didn't change the config files yet.

To test, I rebooted the computer and turned off antivirus programs.

To test, I can still play the old business as usual from v1.08 okay.

I tried the FM downloaded from links at,

http://www.thedarkmo...ndetails/?id=14

http://wiki.thedarkm...g_assets_by_map

Edited by jtbalogh

Thanks. You fixed it and the new download version 3 starts the mission great.

The download was available from the ingame downloader after deleting missions.tdminfo,

and was available from the link, http://www.thedarkmo...ndetails/?id=14

That's a neat trick to start the mission via "map business" in the console. When testing v2, start mission also failed but the console made it easier to test and exit safely. Testing v3, start mission works great.

• Did you mean that you reuploaded just Alberic's Curse or did you reupload both Alberic's Curse and Business As Usual?
  • I don't think the issue is on the graphics end for me but I'm currently using an up-to-date driver for AMD Radeon HD 7300 Series Graphic Card.

• Sorry for the late reply, it was just BAU, not AC in this instance.
  • Thats a low end card, so its good your'e not seeing to many gfx issue with it.

• Sorry for the late reply, it was just BAU, not AC in this instance.
  • Thats a low end card, so its good your'e not seeing to many gfx issue with it.

Hey thanks for reuploading Business as Usual! Solved all my problems with loading the mission. And yeah my card is low end. I get some lag on occasion and a few graphical issues every now and then (all of which can be solved with performance tweaks) but aside from that I've had no real problems with the majority of missions so far and I've played at least a third of them.