The Dark Mod Forums

Blurry menu/guis

Springheel

I know this isn't a very "coding" way of resolving it, but perhaps a manual adjustment in video settings for folks? Might reduce future blurry LP vids on Youtube, even if just a stopgap measure, and simpler than editing the config file for players.

Edited by RJFerret

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

I know this isn't a very "coding" way of resolving it, but perhaps a manual adjustment in video settings for folks? Might reduce future blurry LP vids on Youtube, even if just a stopgap measure, and simpler than editing the config file for players.

The plan is to drop all of the spec detection stuff, its all horribly broken and bad, but it's really rooted firmly into the code in hard-to-see ways. That's why this happens. I guess it'll mean a fun day of chasing down the cvar use cases and trying to wrangle them into a more opt-in nature.

So yeah, effectively I want it to try use everything on high (besides things like AA which will break if they are too high), and then let the player select if they have bad hardware etc. Pretty much what you seem to be suggesting :)

I don't think the blurring will be fully eliminated by spec configuration (see steam overlay example). I say fully because obviously the low res textures make text / images dramatically blurry however resolving this does not "fix" the problem entirely. After setting to high res, I think the remaining blur could be in the engine, some setting within or some driver configuration.

That's exactly what the spec stuff does, it makes a guess at your spec, or if it freaks out it just does strange things. Those profiles then set cvars, some of which are saved long term, some of which are not saved if a user sets them via console.

The problem is these cvars, some of them are only set by this process, and as such the knock-on gets all kinds of strange if you're not careful. I removed it in the past but there are a few areas where you need to be able to set safe defaults before trying anything, which this took care of. These should be moved to a different place.

Noticed these slightly blurry texts in maps after I set image_downSize and image_downSizeLimit from the performance tweaks page. I got an old ati card, so I need these settings else TDM is a bit too unstable (malloc crashes and save crashes). I still get an occasional save crash here and there, but it's much better.