The Dark Mod Forums

TDM Engine Development Page

zergrush

Compare the performance for overlapping lights. Depending on your hardware you may need to increase the light count to well over 50 lights to see the difference. Also, check the performance of those new graphic features you added in SVN.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

The changes does not seem to have an effect neither for sikkpins effects nor for high lightcounts. If it should really help with 50+ lights than this is fine, but pretty useless :(

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Looks like he updated his post with some fixes to get openmp partly working under windows. If I understand this correctly, openmp should allow certain functions to be shared between multiple cores on a CPU? If revelator has indeed gotten it working, that could potentially see a decent performance boost in TDM if it could offload to a second core.

The changes does not seem to have an effect neither for sikkpins effects nor for high lightcounts. If it should really help with 50+ lights than this is fine, but pretty useless :(

I suspect that the benefits would be somewhat minimal under TDM since we have a higher overhead than vanilla D3, but if he has gotten openmp working...then we may see some improvements yet.

Is this up on SVN? I'd like to check it out after work. The benefits may vary depending on your hardware and drivers etc. I suspect that it still relies on CPU skinning so you might not see much benefit if you aren't GPU limited.

Is this up on SVN? I'd like to check it out after work. The benefits may vary depending on your hardware and drivers etc. I suspect that it still relies on CPU skinning so you might not see much benefit if you aren't GPU limited.

I don't believe it's on SVN yet, but I would also like to see how it all works. I'm just trying to get the build tools setup again here so I won't have time to merge it in until this evening. I'll be curious to see if openmp offers any help since I have a dual core system.

I doubt Relevator tried this without also having improved VBO support so his performance findings may be reliant

on having the new VBO code as well.

Mh's changes:

http://pastebin.com/rHrwP0nA

Relevator's codebase:

https://github.com/revelator/MHDoom

Comitted. EDIT: The source.

With your guy's experiences it's sounding like an optimization on paper that doesn't translate so much in practice, or maybe would for vanilla D3 but our greater overhead blunts it. But something significant may be buried somewhere inside of it yet.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Does the commit include that last update from revelator? Compiled the source and tried it out, but sadly not seeing any perceivable performance gain. Maybe 1 fps, but that would be about it.

Yes, but as said there is no noticeable performance gain.

I think it would be more benefitting to include openmp in the ai thinking process, as this would allow us to have more ai.

OpenMP can offer more than shadow optimization. My concern is that I think it's framework much like the Boost libraries (which also

have multi-core functions) which may make the codebase harder to read and maintain. The BFG codebase doesn't use a framework to grant multi-core

support and instead has explicit design features (job system) for it and therefore is much easier to maintain.

Neither option is really easy to implement but OpenMP is "easier" than the latter.

Besides graphics the most performance costing aspect is the ai. If those guys are alerted, they are eating pretty much. If we would be able to multithread this aspect, thus meaning calling the think() methods of the relating classes in several threads, than this would allow for a higher ai count in FM's (depending on the number of cores, but even on my dual core cpu this may gives the ability of up to 50% more ai or so, roughly guessing).

• Like 2

Note that in BFG engine, entire game code is not threaded (physics, AI, etc.). It just runs on a separate thread from anything else, thus performance much better than idTech 4 game code.

RAGE on the other hand has AI and physics on separate threads (there maybe more or less separation going on, I am not 100% sure). It was hell of a work to thread it to my understanding, so I wouldn't count on having it done in the garage, especially using idTech 4.

I never said it is easy, just wanted to point out that it would be beneficial.

We'll see.

If we just had a couple more people skilled in programming which would be willing to help us.

Looks like relevator is cracking away at the OpenMP fixes still.

http://forums.inside3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5467&p=53063#p53063

Hopefully he can join the conversation soon... (problems with forum signup)

Looks like relevator is cracking away at the OpenMP fixes still.

http://forums.inside...&p=53063#p53063

Hopefully he can join the conversation soon... (problems with forum signup)

Awesome stuff. I really hope he can crack this thing wide open so we can see some performance gains...although it seems like no matter what he tries, idtech4 is determined not to allow a relatively easy transition to better performance. I imagine if TDM were able to take advantage to both cores on my cpu that there would have to be a somewhat noticeable gain.

So, I wonder about the road not traveled.

We are so vested in the current monolithic TDM standalone build that any big "code merge" is met with some amount of apprehension.

The way I see it, the easiest way to determine the feasibility of such a thing would be to take v1.07 and attempt to merge it to any

of these alternates (Dhewm3, Morpheus, RBDoom3BFG, etc) and see if it's possible and what breakage results.

If any of these attempts are fruitful, then start tracking TDM SVN commits after the big v1.08 code merge and start adding them until

you reached parity with 2.02 (etc). Avoid most core infrastructure commits since almost none of that would apply to these other code

bases and just focus on AI, Scripting and mod specific changes.

Sure it would still be a bear to do but if anyone wanted to take advantage of the new contributions from the GPL community it's the best

bet other than paying Robert Beckebans, MH, or RaynorPat to join the project.

Hopefully nobody will scold me too much for such a speculation.

From what I understand of his discussions, his approach was to diff the two code-bases and try to reconcile.

Every time new stuff was added to TDM he had to rework this whole process.

My suggestion makes the whole thing less risky and cumbersome.

Only focus on how TDM's SDK code differs from the game code and merge from there.

The added benefit is that the exercise should reveal what the current codebase has from TDM vs what it inherited.

Once you have an old TDM running on a new engine the barrier to upgrade it to a newer build is far lower than this gigantic

merge\reconcile process.

Yeah, it would be great if that Dhewm3 merge arrived one day though.

Edited by nbohr1more