The Dark Mod Forums

TDM Engine Development Page

zergrush

Btw scratch lightdepthbounds as the cause of shadow cracks in some models, it is not even enabled by default, only if r_useBfgPortalCulling is set.

After reverting duzenkos code i have a feeling things will work right again, cause there was a good deal more code than the snippet he found that had been changed or removed :wacko:

BFG portalculling causes the whole map to go black, only sky is visible yikes :o

Is this something you want to continue work on or would it be ok to remove it ?.

The lightdepthbounds code might work without the culling code from BFG, as far as i remember it was added later by robert beckebans to optimize shadowmaps.

Reverted every bit of code i changed locally to see if it was caused by something on my end but it still does it ...blimey.

So i tried pulling in the last built executable from server and with that one the problem is the reverse ?!? underwater works but every surface above water has no textures :blink:

So im going to try a few other maps to see if this is caused by changes in the shaders.

Atm i have tried crystal grave and crucible of omens and both have the underwater bug.

AA 8 gamma 2 not getting any spam in console besides a few warnings at the start of the map.

Looked like this underwater in previous build

2wmzwif.jpg

now it looks like this

2zqa8w0.jpg

with both gamma and brightness cranked up to max

Also underwater fog seems to pop up at certain angles but barely visible.

Where any shaders updated recently ? because i just reverted to the previous commit before all this started and it also does this now.

Tried that mission i have no problem going underwater and the water looks fine, but i do have water problems in Volta 2 or perhaps it just looks strange normally?

I'm playing on a all AMD PC.

Ryzen 1800x and R570 8GB.

p.s - Forgot to say i'm playing on TDM 2.07/64 #7618

Edited by HMart

same allthough my cpu is an oldtimer intel core i7 3930k, but it should support everything upto and including AVX4, strange...

I also notice that sometimes the screen goes completely black at certain locations even if staring right into a light lol.

Maybe some shader function does not agree with my card scratches head...

There are fairly new shader assets, yes.

The last shader changes were for multi-draw support as I recall.

I'll test tonight but it seems that restoring the missing code has returned the same bug I mentioned in the internal dev forums...

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/19576-recent-svn-issue-with-g-doublevision-water/

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Ok after further testing it's a combination of softshadows and postprocessing that causes this,

turning off softshadows removes the bug completely, while it is off you need to restart the renderer to get underwater back to normal if postprocessing is on.

If both are on the underwater view stays opaque no matter if you restart the renderer or not.

// FIXME: something here breaks underwater view
#if 0
	if ( r_shadows.GetInteger() == 1 ) {
		if ( on ) {
			// revelator: bug here ? softshadow quality is tested against a negative value
			if ( r_softShadowsQuality.GetInteger() < 0 && shadowOn ) {
				shadowResolution = r_softShadowsQuality.GetInteger() / -100.0f;
			} else {
				shadowResolution = 1.0f;
			}
			qglViewport( 0, 0, glConfig.vidWidth * shadowResolution * r_fboResolution.GetFloat(), glConfig.vidHeight * shadowResolution * r_fboResolution.GetFloat() );
			FB_ApplyScissor();
		} else {
			if ( primaryOn ) {
				qglViewport( 0, 0, glConfig.vidWidth * r_fboResolution.GetFloat(), glConfig.vidHeight * r_fboResolution.GetFloat() );
			} else {
				qglViewport( 0, 0, glConfig.vidWidth, glConfig.vidHeight );
			}
			FB_ApplyScissor();
		}
	}
#endif

This codepiece is what is breaking underwater views, seems the viewport is doing something strange when in a visleaf.

/* scissor's with negative or invalid size */
			const idScreenRect &r = drawSurf->scissorRect;
			if ( r.x1 <= r.x2 && r.y1 <= r.y2 ) {
				/* Dooh i had placed this in the wrong place after reverting it */
				FB_ApplyScissor();				
			} else {
				continue;
			}

This was causing the black viewport at certain angles, i had accidentally placed FB_ApplyScissor outside the check sigh :/

Ill see if i can come up with a solution for the softshadow problem tomorrow, its bedtime Zzzzz

There are fairly new shader assets, yes.

The last shader changes were for multi-draw support as I recall.

I'll test tonight but it seems that restoring the missing code has returned the same bug I mentioned in the internal dev forums...

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/19576-recent-svn-issue-with-g-doublevision-water/

The multilight shader was new files, not a change to the existing shaders.

The last changes to the shaders used by the trunk code were

1) texture matrix (manifests as surfaces filled with same color if shaders out of sync with code)

2) SS micro-optimization, no visible changes expected

3) low-res stencil shadows (again, no visible changes expected)

There seems to be another bug in some maps causing light to change on certain angles, it is very visible in crucible of omens behind closed doors for instance, while in some other maps it is not.

This one seems not caused by either postprocess or softshadows as with both off it still does the same.

Yes. I noticed this last night in TD2: Chalice of Kings in the courtyard area, half of the scene would go dark depending on view.

Something else is still broken here.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

It seems to be broken by one of these

r7629
Reverted some of my previous revert in tr_render.cpp, cause it breaks foglights and shadows with the way it handles things now sigh.
---------------------
r7628
Revelator:  Further reverts for duzenkos code, missed one in tr_render.cpp
---------------------
r7627
revert changes to duzenkos FBO code, tbh i have no idea how it got changed in the first place (gremlins ?)
---------------------

@revelator, would you go through you changes and find which one caused it?