The Dark Mod Forums

TDM Engine Development Page

zergrush

hmm GL_TEXTURE_COORD_ARRAY gets turned off a lot of places in the debug tools but its newer set anywhere,

i commented out all instances of it and the debug functions work the same without it, sadly by work i mean not so well :/

With FBO on its completely broken, and some rendering functions which where loaded internally before have been moved to shaders, so might no longer work exactly the same way anymore.

hmm GL_TEXTURE_COORD_ARRAY gets turned off a lot of places in the debug tools but its newer set anywhere,

i commented out all instances of it and the debug functions work the same without it, sadly by work i mean not so well :/

With FBO on its completely broken, and some rendering functions which where loaded internally before have been moved to shaders, so might no longer work exactly the same way anymore.

That needs to be replaced with qglDisableVertexAttribArray( 8 ) but I don't think it's related to invalid geometry.

Indeed, it seems to be related to portals and fogshaders, as an experiment i tried to run the portal debug tool and whenever i hit a fog leaf portals would dissapear Oo so ouch.

Im not sure why it there does not seem to be any problems outside the debug render tools though.

Indeed, it seems to be related to portals and fogshaders, as an experiment i tried to run the portal debug tool and whenever i hit a fog leaf portals would dissapear Oo so ouch.

Im not sure why it there does not seem to be any problems outside the debug render tools though.

How do I repeat it? I don't see this problem in e.g. Old Habits 2.

Spoke to soon it seems.

14w8vpd.jpg

With FBO on it still causes a mess :S

2dr6fqr.jpg

the tri outlines dissapear at certain angles with showportals on and FBO.

Without FBO and showportals the outlines are drawn as inverted mirrors when i hit these angles, sadly i cannot get it to show these on screenshots.

It only seems to crop up whenever there are two or more portals close together or intersecting each other.

• Like 1

When you walk to a portal and you don't see the glitches, try going through it and seeing it from the other side. Edit: using r_showportals does seem to resolve the mirror and rainbow glitches effect though.

Edited by Judith

Great :) might be a conflict in the post process code screwing up then.

The reason i was apprehensive about why showportals also seems to fix this is that it uses a totally different rendering chain (intermediate vs VBO), so it should actually cause more problems not less.

if ( !w || !h // this has actually happened
		// nbohr1more add checks for render tools
		|| r_showLightCount.GetBool()
		|| r_showShadows.GetBool()
		|| r_showVertexColor.GetBool()
		|| r_showShadowCount.GetBool()
		|| r_showTris.GetBool() // revelator: need this one as well, screws up showtris as pointed out by judith.
		|| r_showTexturePolarity.GetBool()
		|| r_showTangentSpace.GetBool()
		|| r_showDepth.GetBool() ) {
		return;
	}

Ok now were cooking with gas :)

I'll let Duzenko chime in there.

As I recall, there was this strange stub function on the game side for activating the cvar which is why

I was having a little trouble with some of the fix mechanisms for initialization operations like reloadImages.

In my mind r_postprocess shouldn't be doing anything on the game side and should work like all other render cvars.

I guess the some of this game side design stems from the use of r_postprocess with effects like influence vision (scripts)

for when the player is cursed, etc. They wanted modders to have more SDK access to these effects

so they moved some rendering control to the game side but it really doesn't belong there in Doom 3 GPL branches.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Ah yeah, i was wondering about that, but the mappers might probably dissagree if we move it to a place where they do not have access in case they want it for some special effect ?.

Well looks like we need to live with this sort of hacking about then,

it's not overly intrusive now so ill leave a comment about it so that further changes to postprocessing code also warns about the posibility of breakage in other parts of the chain.

I also added r_showportals to the check and made a small utility function to turn off postprocessing in case we use the render tools.

/*
=============
RB_CheckTools

Check for any rendertool and mark it
because it might potentially break with post processing.
=============
*/
static bool RB_CheckTools( int width, int height ) {
	// this has actually happened
	if ( !width || height ) {
		return true;
	}
	// nbohr1more add checks for render tools
	// revelator: added some more 
	if ( r_showLightCount.GetBool() || 
		r_showShadows.GetBool()	|| 
		r_showVertexColor.GetBool() || 
		r_showShadowCount.GetBool()	|| 
		r_showTris.GetBool() ||
		r_showPortals.GetBool() || 
		r_showTexturePolarity.GetBool()	|| 
		r_showTangentSpace.GetBool() || 
		r_showDepth.GetBool() ) {
		return true;
	}
	return false;
}

which is then called in the bloom code like this

// revelator: added small function to take care of nono's
	if ( RB_CheckTools( w, h ) ) {
		return;
	}

atm its a static function but it could be made global in case that is ever needed.