The Dark Mod Forums

New players: How did you deal with "that guard" the first time? (Spoiler Warning: Tears of St. Lucia)

Professor Paul1290

"That Guard" (Spoiler: Tears of St. Lucia)  

40 members have voted

1. 1. How did you get past "that guard" without being seen?

• I found out how to distract him and got him to move from his position.
    • I found out how to safely knock-out or otherwise neutralize him in-place (no distraction needed).
    • I did not have to deal with him directly, I found out the alternative route.
    • None of the above. I had a different way. (explain)
    • I didn't, he saw me and I had to fight him or run from him. F*** that bastard!

This is a question for recent new players. How did you end up dealing with "that guard" your first time through in Tears of St. Lucia?

You know which guard I'm talking about. That annoying bastard who stands right around the corner from that wall-mounted lamp in that narrow corridor near the beginning.

Everyone seems to have trouble with this guy, and if you still haven't gotten past him yet maybe you shouldn't be reading this thread (unless you're really having trouble and need spoilers of course).

How did you deal with this guard your first time through?

At the time, I hadn't seen the alternative entrance. So, I dealt with the guard via good ol' fassion violence.

It seems a little tough for a "first hostile encounter", because you cannot put out the light and he is guaranteed to see you if you try and get through there.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

I never found any alternative route, hugh.

All the times I played it I distracted him. I think there is some shadow there where you can hide in.

This is quite a funny example, because it is not possible to simple sneak by that guard. Everytime I released a FM people (well, some of them) were complaining it would be too difficult, but I never put in such cases like this. However, I don't recall anyone complaining about St. Lucia beeing too difficult.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

The first time i played it, i had no idea how to deal with him. I think i ended up throwing an object somewhere to distract him. The 2nd time i played it, i found the alternate route, and he was somehow gone when i returned to that passage i think. But yeah, nasty position when you don't fine the alternate route...

Edited by chk772

I didn't work on SL, but I'd guess that the guard was made impossible to sneak by on purpose, so that folks would seek out the alternate route.

Yep. The briefing says specifically that "the front is liable to be well guarded, so I'll have to look for another way in". But if there was one thing about St. Lucia that makes it not ideal for new players, that would probably be it.

I just watched a new 2.0 Lets Play where someone used a noisemaker and then KO'd the guard when he was checking it out.

• Like 1

The first time I recall an elaborate setup with some moveable objects, trying to cast shadows which would get me to the yard. Half way into scavenging the items needed to make it all work, I found the alternate path.

The alternative path is what makes that mission so great, it just exudes a feeling of quality workmanship imho.

The first time I just fought him. The next playthrough I shot broadheads(I didn't have noisemakers) at the wall and ran past him as he checked for what made the noise.

There is a scroll in a room full of scrolls and maps. When this scroll is "used" it made it so I couldn't use any weapons or items or even open the door. Does anyone know if this is a deliberately cursed scroll, or a glitch?

Edited by SirGen

There is a scroll in a room full of scrolls and maps. When this scroll is "used" it made it so I couldn't use any weapons or items or even open the door. Does anyone know if this is a deliberately cursed scroll, or a glitch?

Ack, still? I thought I had got them all. Where exactly?

This sounds awfully like the problem that's popped up yesterday or the day before in Aleberic's curse, see http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/12850-fan-mission-alberics-curse-by-b1k3rdude-20062011/page__view__findpost__p__322765

In this case as soon as the offending book is picked up (or maybe when it's used, can't remember) the player's abilities are restricted to movement only, no actions work, can't frob, can't change inventory, can't change weapon. Also, this problem is persistent when the game is saved and reloaded (alas!)

Should this be raised as an engine bug?