The Dark Mod Forums

Missions from Thief 1 & 2

Villain

Hi!

The only Thief game I was playing was Thief 3: Deadly Shadows and I realy wish to play the missions from two previous games in The Dark Mod. So, here is my questions: Can I download and play missions from Thief 1 and Thief 2? And if answer to the first question is 'yes' - Which one should I download and what is the correct order of playng trough all this missions?

I will be very grateful for the answers!

Hey there see your point but so far no missions from Thief were recreated in The Dark Mod. So you either start making one for The Dark Mod or you start playing Thief :P

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Hi!

The only Thief game I was playing was Thief 3: Deadly Shadows and I realy wish to play the missions from two previous games in The Dark Mod. So, here is my questions: Can I download and play missions from Thief 1 and Thief 2? And if answer to the first question is 'yes' - Which one should I download and what is the correct order of playng trough all this missions?

I will be very grateful for the answers!

Welcome.

This topic has been covered a few times. It is not possible to play the original missions in Dark Mod. Dark Mod is "Thief Inspired" not a recreation of the original games. The original missions can not be recreated in TDM because they are the Intellectual Property of Eidos Games. Dark Mod uses its own setting and does not use any copyrighted materials.

If anyone were to recreate a Thief 1 or 2 mission for Dark Mod, we would not be able to officially support it or host it on our servers.

We have 70+ original Dark Mod missions though, so hopefully you can enjoy those. :)

I would also suggest buying the original games. T1/T2 were much better then TDS, so you definetely missed something.

And yes, making an own FM is always a good advice.

But as New Horizon already pointed out none of use has the right to recreate the original missions for TDM. The only thing that can be done is to create a mission that is slightly inspired from one of the original ones.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Thanks for the quick reply! Well, I realy wish I could play missions from first two games in TDM so the have improved grafics. Well, I guess I can't have everything ;) I have the Thief Anthology so I will just install and play Thief 1 and 2 (and try to use my imagination to improve the grafics ;))

There are missions inspired by Thief 1 and 2 in the mission list. Off the top of my head, Alberic's Curse is a remake of (fan mission) "Cathedral of the Damned" which

was (in turn) inspired by "The Haunted Cathedral" in Thief 1.

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Well, I realy wish I could play missions from first two games in TDM so the have improved grafics. Well, I guess I can't have everything ;) I have the Thief Anthology so I will just install and play Thief 1 and 2 (and try to use my imagination to improve the grafics ;))
You may want to keep an eye on this (I know I am): http://www.ttlg.com/...ad.php?t=135188

Been years in the making but may actually be released this year. :smile:

Well, I realy wish I could play missions from first two games in TDM so the have improved grafics.

You are not alone. Not only due to the graphics, but especially due to our superiour ai. Ahh, ... dreams.

Moreover the TTLG community has patched Thief 1 and 2, created easy installers (Tafferpatcher/TFix) for compatibility on modern computers, and have created something like over 900 fan missions for Thief 2. If you need links for any of that, I'll look around. You can find all that on the TTLG forums.

Not to mention the upcoming Thief 1 retexturing project, which looks seven kinds of awesome.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

The original missions can not be recreated in TDM because they are the Intellectual Property of Eidos Games.

You really think that if someone recreate bafford manor in TDM, EIDOS will be here in a minute with law sharks? ))))

Thanks for the quick reply! Well, I realy wish I could play missions from first two games in TDM so the have improved grafics. Well, I guess I can't have everything ;) I have the Thief Anthology so I will just install and play Thief 1 and 2 (and try to use my imagination to improve the grafics ;))

Just buy them cheap at Steam, apply the TFix patch to Thief Gold, and the Tafferpatcher to Thief 2, and enjoy (Thief Gold already got a graphics overhaul). :) When the old missions would be rebuild for TDM, it wouldn't be the same, as the gameplay would change quite a bit.

Btw, Thief 3 isn't half as bad as they say. (can't get tired of saying this :P)

Edited by chk772

Just buy them cheap at Steam, apply the TFix patch to Thief Gold, and the Tafferpatcher to Thief 2, and enjoy (Thief Gold already got a graphics overhaul). :) When the old missions would be rebuild for TDM, it wouldn't be the same, as the gameplay would change quite a bit.

Btw, Thief 3 isn't half as bad as they say. (can't get tired of saying this :P)

I thought there was now a single patch for both games since the release of the unofficial 1.19 patch? I don't think you have to apply different ones anymore.

Make your own ambient or kidnap Brosius.

You know, as much as money and fan projects don't mix, I'd back a kickstarter to invite both Brosiuses (spelling?) to do some work on the audio.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

invite both Brosiuses (spelling?)

Mr. and Ms. Brosius!? (Just an idea, I'm not sure about that either).

You really think that if someone recreate bafford manor in TDM, EIDOS will be here in a minute with law sharks? ))))

With Thief 4 coming up and TDM obviously being the better choice for the true sneaker, most definitely!!