The Dark Mod Forums

Math Not So Good in TDM Universe

grayman

I think the TDM accountants need to go back to school.

A single (static) gold coin is worth 1.

A single (moveable) gold coin is worth 5.

A small stack of 6 gold coins is worth 1.

A small stack of 6 silver coins is worth 2.

A medium stack of 9 gold coins is worth 10.

A medium stack of 9 silver coins is worth 5.

A tall stack of 12 gold coins is worth 20.

A tall stack of 12 silver coins is worth 10.

A pile of ? gold coins is worth 75.

I'm not advocating changing loot values. I just thought it was funny.

• Like 1

A single (moveable) gold coin is worth 5.

A small stack of 6 gold coins is worth 1.

A small stack of 6 silver coins is worth 2.

What the heck? It wasn't necessarily supposed to be one coin = 1 gold, but those values aren't even consistent with themselves. A movable single coin shouldn't be worth 5 gold, and I can't imagine anyone setting it that way on purpose. And the silver should always be worth less than the gold equivelant.

This is ROFLing LOL. :laugh:

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

That's a bit of a sticky situation... what can one do? Pretend the coins are from different regions and thus have different values, set a rigid rate of exchange with all the havoc that will wreak on existing missions, or do nothing and have weirdly inconsistent loot values? Do all the coins have the same stamping, or can we at least pretend 1 Braeden silver is worth x Bridgeport gold (due to size, watering down with non valuable metals etc).

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

I'd recommend changing the movable coin from 5 to 1 (that's the biggest problem, but it's obviously a mistake), and swap the small stack values so that a small gold stack is 2 and a silver is 1.

Hm, Springheels recommendation is fine enough, but... Why make it unrealistic for no good reason? Why not really make it that 1 gold coin = 1 gold worth? I would expect getting 12 gold worth from taking a tall stack of 12 gold coins, dunno about you guys. :D

• Like 1

Shouldn't the movable gold coins be just in the regular models, and not in loot? As loot, they are pointless being movable if they are just going straight into your loot collection when frobbed...plus there is the flying/bouncing-coin issue in 2.0.

If one needs a movable gold coin, say for dropping in a well/offering plate or other entity, they can just load in a regular model.

Instead of loweing the loot value of the movable coins, just get rid of them entirely. Then there are fewer fixes to make, with just the static loot coin values to adjust.

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

Could changing the values break some mission loot limits?

Hopefully the mappers leave enough buffer room between the max loot objective and the total loot in-map. Put enough of those coin stacks in a map and they'll add up fast.

I'd also like to see the coin values match the number (not type) of coins. So 1 gold coin = 1 loot and 1 silver coin also = 1 loot. Then the coin stack values can equal the number of coins in the stack.

Either that, or make the silver coin = 1 loot and all gold coins/stacks are equal to double the silver values.

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

Hopefully the mappers leave enough buffer room between the max loot objective and the total loot in-map. Put enough of those coin stacks in a map and they'll add up fast.

I'd also like to see the coin values match the number (not type) of coins. So 1 gold coin = 1 loot and 1 silver coin also = 1 loot. Then the coin stack values can equal the number of coins in the stack.

Either that, or make the silver coin = 1 loot and all gold coins/stacks are equal to double the silver values.

That could make no sense when you compare gold ingot (12kg) to average coin (5-30g), it is 2400x-400x bigger. That's gold (42usd/g), but silver (0,7usd/g) is 60x less worth. So if we only have loot categories gold/gems/goods, one gold coin =pile/purse of 60 silver coins.

Gems: ruby(0,1g)2000usd - (0,2g)6000usd, emerald(0,2g)4000usd, diamond(0,1g)1300usd - (0,2g)10000usd (could vary significantly over shape and flawlessness).

With current prices:

"quite light" gold ingot (2kg) 8400usd =

100 gold coins (20g) (if pure gold) = 200 smaller gold coins (10g) =

6000 silver coins (20g) = 4000 bigger silver coins (30g) =

1 brilliant (0,2g) =

2 ruby or emeralds (0,2g)

Edited by ERH+

S2wtMNl.gif

i've often changed the loot values on loot object when I've used them in a map.

I normally do this as well. (I love to place the ancient wine bottles in my missions, but as they are worth 135 I always reduce there value, similar to plates or goblets/trinkets, which are very much worth by default).

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

here's the way the value of precious things is worked out in the real world.

-------

A carat is a unit of weight for diamonds and other gemstones. One carat equals 200 milligrams (0.200 grams). There are 453 grams in a pound (1,000 grams to a kilogram).

A karat, when used with gold, is a unit of purity-- 24-karat gold is pure gold, but usually you mix gold with a metal like copper or silver to make jewelry (because pure gold is too soft). Each karat indicates 1/24th of the whole. So if a piece of jewelry is made of metal that is 18 parts gold and 6 parts copper, that is 18-karat gold.

-------

end quote

gold coin's are usually mixed with silver as far as I know.

so maybe some of those gold coins were 1 karat gold.

Edited by stumpy
  • Like 1

But silver will be still less valuable than gold, TDM should use silver as main unit or don't use it at all.

Gold purity vary from 33% to 96%, mixed with silver or copper, silver purity could be 92,5 silver-7,5 copper.

I found info that gold-silver price proportion (in antique to XVIII century) was 1:10 to 1:15.

I have no idea how valuable were gemstones in ancient times.

1000g gold ingot (24 carat) =

200x (10g)coins of gold(12carat) =

266x (5g)coins of gold(18carat) =

5x 2000g silver ingot (pure) =

555x (20g)coins of silver(90%)

Aside of "biting method" more accurate way to justify purity of metals were touchstones:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Asbe3Oq2Xeo

Some comparison of the amounts of the substances chemistries are given in % in weight :

http://www.uniroma2....ete/nocpan.html

I wonder if we can use more varied coin pictures:

http://www.classical...ominations.html

Edited by ERH+

S2wtMNl.gif