The Dark Mod Forums

How did you discover TDM?

delatroy

I was on TTLG when the idea was first floated by Fingernail. It's funny to reread some of the naive ideas we had about timelines at the beginning! :)

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88654&highlight=dark+mod

• Like 1

I was searching for Doom 3 mods and saw it at Moddb, I think... I recall not being able to install Thief's Den and being disappointed because I couldn't

check it out. I also remember the nascent TDM site with it's hand illustrated graphics.

Then I checked back a year or so later and installed St Lucia. My PC was not well equipped for that.

Finally, I stopped by again and was surprised to see a bunch of missions and the whole FM system. I had a better graphics card and could actually play missions.

That's when the obsession began.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

. I also remember the nascent TDM site with it's hand illustrated graphics.

I wonder how many people remember this:

post-9-0-24621700-1382404369_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I was telling a friend that I started to play Lost Mission for Doom 3 when he, a Thief series fan himself, added that there is a fan-made Thief remake on Doom 3 engine called The Dark Mod. I never played any of Thief games, but decided to give it a try anyway. Didn't regret it. :)

EDIT: I doubt I would ever stumble upon it if there weren't for him.

Edited by eqagunn

I found out about it by just googling around stuff about the original thief series after I first heard about Thief 4 earlier this year. I was initially hyped about it but playing TDM and Thief 1 and 2 all the way through made me realize that Thief 4 will never be a good continuation to the Thief series, and introduced me to some really awesome games.

Gameplay wise, if.....TN1EF....... were to be it's own franchise instead of a Thief game, im going to reserve my judgement on that end until its out, but im expecting slightly less disappointment but still heavy disappointment on that end.

But otherwise, TDM is a great achievement and the only thing it needs now is fine-tuning. Now that it's standalone, I imagine we'll be seeing just that.

Sometimes I wonder... When TDM gets more publicity and more people come along... Will there be other projects that fork out from TDM.

Let's say a cyberpunk flavour sneaking game with System Shock and Deus Ex kind of gadgets, hacking, security systems and stuff? Sure, it would need a massive texture and modeling effort, but the underlying mechanics could already be used for a futuristic setting, replacing the bow with some lasers, blackjack would be a stun gun, etc.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I followed its development on TTLG from ca. 2006, starting from scepticism, but being gradually convinced. I think Fidcal's report on it sold me.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I discovered TDM around 2007 / 2008 on TTLG. I had been playing Thief FM's for quite a few years and wanted to have a go at making my own. Then I saw TDM which had better graphics, the promise of better gameplay and a level editor that was more user friendly than Dromed. I also thought it would be more motivating to learn a new hobby along with other people who would be new to this as opposed to the Thief FM community which had been going for nearly ten years at the time. I was right and I've never looked back.

I find it hard to belive that TDM is only 4 years old. This community has achieved so much!

Edited by Sir Taffsalot
  • Like 1

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

I had been working and pushing thief 3 editing over at ttlg, but I soon discovered it was not the right way to go. So I was VERY pleased, when Thief's Den had been released and we got to see how much potential this mod had. It was then, when I decided to start contributing.

I had surgery at the beginning of this year either in February or March (don't recall) and so I took my vacation then so as to have some time off to recover and I was wanting to maybe play through SS2 again with the new 1.4? patch in widescreen. Then I saw that the patch was also for Thief and thought wow that would be fun to revisit and continued looking to see if any texture packs or other had been release to upgrade the experience any further. That's when I found mention of TheDarkMod and got curious.

So I got it installed and running with some excellent, quick, help from the forums and played through maybe 10 missions over 2 days. It was better than I'd ever imagined.

Then installed DR and went through the A-Z tutorial over the rest of my vacation.

I've gotten a bit side tracked with RL for the moment but I will release a mission at some point! :)

• Like 2

I was thinking out loud (on Reddit) about giving stealth gamers a basic toolset with AI and standard stealth game mechanics, and just let them loose with it to see what would happen. Someone replied "you mean like The Dark Mod?" and the rest is history.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Digits, Ratio, 16, 1618, or whatever really, as long as it's not Phil.

I don'r remember exactly, it was either mentioned on ttlg or I saw it on thief-thecircle before TDM was released. Been following it ever since. I assumed it would somehow be a beautiful yet clunky mod, was thrilled when I finally got to play it and the controls/movement were even better than the originals.

I used to play Thievery a lot with a friend and one day I decided to look up how it was doing and sadly the community has really died down for it but then I stumbled across a post about The Dark Mod and after seeing one gameplay video on youtube I knew I had to download it and haven't looked back since!

I had no idea how this slipped under my radar for so long but I am glad it did as when I found TDM there were 60+ missions available. Was this project originally called Nightblade btw? I remember reading something about a next-gen Thief called that many years ago but I think it was meant to be unreal engine based.

Nightblade was a different project, which was supposed to be the next version of Thievery, IIRC.

I heard about it from the naysayers on TTLG who said it was shit and never going to work and don't bother and how dare we even try blah blah blah

And i thought it was only me... indeed there are a lot of people on TTLG who say no to everything which is remotely different to Thief 1 & 2... real elitist stuff sometimes.

Anyway, on-topic, i can't remember now really... i play it since version 1.0 though (took a long break then), and heard of it before the initial release. I think i read about it on some gaming site, but no idea which one.

Yeah and I had no problems with them saying it's not going to work, or we're going to give up before we get anywhere etc, but the attitude that we shouldn't even try and how dare we try to move Thief gameplay to a different engine. I still don't get that sentiment.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.