The Dark Mod Forums

How did you discover TDM?

delatroy

I read some of the old TTLG posts regarding TDM a while back. I couldn't believe there was so much negativity towards this project. Now there are people on TTLG saying that we are the true successor to the Thief legacy and not Thi4f.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

I remember the first thread from the beginning, and I followed it through the early trailer release, Thief's Den, & St. Lucia.

After I downloaded the St. Lucia demo, I somehow discovered to my surprise that I could actually start mapping on DR off of that base by itself... So I started playing with DR on my own, did Fidcal's tutorial, and the next thing I know I'm making my own map & asking questions on the forum, and the next thing I know I'm a betamapper. I was racing to get my FM in as part of the 1.0 release (5 or so FMs were part of that first release). But I finished it up about a week after the 1.0 release, just in time for Halloween as the first post-release FM, which was fine by me.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Not yet. But let's hope it will have one. ;)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I can't remember... but I *think* I was just browsing ModDB and 1.8 had just been released and it was featured in the banner... All I know is that I discovered it right after 1.8 release and that I'd been waiting to play it since then because I don't own Doom3, lurking the forums and picking up T2 again in the meantime.

76561198061377149.png

I don't remembe very well. I was never a frequent user of TTLG, so it wasn't from there I think. My first posts are offering help as a modeler, so I might have heard about it by searching for a nice project to improve my skills and develop a portfolio.

Fun image I found on that thread spring linked :)

thiefroom1.jpg

Yeah, that was one of the first proof-of-concept shots Fingernail (I think) posted. At the time I was amazed! :laugh:

• Like 1

Was there that much TTLG negativity? I don't remember that. Sure, there's one or two knuckleheads out there that try to create a ruckus (i.e. Bulgarian Taffer) but I thought most TTLGers have been mostly onboard with TDM from the onset. Either that, or they're very polite about it - I've seen a lot of people just simply say "it's not for me."

Edit: Heh, check this thread out, funny to read now:

http://www.ttlg.com/...ead.php?t=87990

NH, whatever happened to "Enchanted Evening at St. Dunstan's?" :D

So the Builders were the very first TDM thing to be decided... :)

"Pagans" could still be used. "Hammerites" is out, but they could be called, "The Church" or "The Builders". Remove the hammer symbol and replace it with a gear.

New here, so the 2.0 standalone release mentioned on Slashdot was my first intro. With the site being unavailable, I downloaded from the kind sole who made it available on Google docs, and used the Wayback Machine on Archive.org to read the wiki/learn. When the site came back, I downloaded other missions and have been sleep and food deprived ever since. ;-)

• Like 2

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

I remember I found it when i was first trying out a Thief FM a long ass time ago, like "The Bridge", or something was the only one I played. I may have tried the TDM demo out and just lurked the front page of TDM on and off once every couple months for a couple years. I think I got hardcore addicted and joined the community when I discovered DR and was playing with it. Even if I never produced a finished product (yet?), I've learned a lot over the past few years, and I'm glad TDM was the catalyst.