The Dark Mod Forums

Sir, You Are Being Hunted

MurcDusen

Now, we all like stealth games I assume, and there's a new game that looks quite interesting.

http://www.big-robot...e-being-hunted/

It seems to have a large focus on survival and exploration, also somewhat combat, but there is a stealth mechanic as well. It doesn't look as if it's gonna be anything close to TDM or Thief, but it has a really nice steam-punky setting as well.

It's still being developed, and is available on Steam as early-access and is currently on sale for 10 bucks. Might be worth a buy.

Anyone got it? Impressions?

Edited by MurcDusen
  • Like 1
76561198061377149.png

I've had my eye on this for quite some time and expect I'll buy it for the Steam sale. However, I'm curious about what others' impressions are of it. I'm not too enthusiastic about the procedurally generated or "open world" environments--I like a good, carefully planned story, but it certainly looks cool.

I pledged to the Kickstarter. It's definitely pretty cool, but it doesn't feel as much like Stalker as I would have liked. Probably because it emphasizes stealth more and doesn't have as much sense of progression. Still cool though. Really need to play it more since it's been updated a lot since I last played.

Well the game is essentially the same every time. You need to collect a certain amount of machine pieces and bring them to the center island. Where the pieces spawn, where robots spawn, loot, and the landscape all change though. You can beat a game in about 5-8 hours generally but it's built for replayability. The issue is that the gameplay is essentially the same every time, which is probably why people are saying that. You look around for pieces and kill the robots/distract the robots guarding pieces. This was when the game only had the standard hunters and dogs though. They've added a few more NPCs since I've last played and there are more to come and that will shake things up. Remember, it isn't finished, so if you want to wait until it is to play it nobody would blame you.

I have backed this game on KS, but as is with all the other games I backed, I want to wait until a final version is out before I play them. The only exception to this was War For The Overworld, a Dungeon Keeper... well, clone, for lack of a better word (yes, I do know that we have a thread here dedicated to whether TDM is a clone of Thief). Even now, with its unpolished and nowhere near final state, the game is immense fun.

Regarding Sir, I do hope that the visibility meter will be improved. Right now, judging from the videos, you can't really say when you are being spotted, apart from to robots commenting and shooting at you.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

I want to wait until a final version is out before I play them

Dangerous philosophy. It seems that many developers think of 'in-development' as 'done' these days. In some games this works, they are fun to play in any stage of development, like minecraft and kerbal space program.

I was in on the Kickstarter too - fun game, but I'll be interested to see if it keeps my interest on a 2nd playthrough, with all the procedurally generated worlds and all that. Sakanosolo pretty much nailed it above, at least the version I played. It's fun but limited, there's no real story and you can't enter any of the buildings. It's very difficult to go 100% stealth, eventually you will be seen (and shot at).

I will say my first time through was about a month ago, and the game was pretty stable then - they have added features since then, but the game never crashed or had any noticeable bugs for me.

It's on my wishlist. I know it's just $10 right now, but even that's not within budget. Otherwise I'll have to give up 2 pints of beer at the pub.

I know that feeling far too well... I'd have bought it if I could have gotten someone to borrow me some money... which I didn't. Now the sale's over and 20 bucks is completely out of question for me... maybe they'll do a sale on final release or something?

• Like 1
76561198061377149.png