The Dark Mod Forums

Two problems with the 2.0 engine - Alt-tab and run/jump

Dark Phoenix

I am back after a couple of years to try out the new 2.0 and the new missions created this year. (YAY). Er. I'm havubg engine problems (Boo)

First problem is I cannot alt tab out of the dark mod. I can alt-tab physicaly but it doesn't switch to my other apps or the windows desktop as long as the dark mod is running. The dark mod wants to always keep focus away from all else.It wants to stay opened on top.

How can I fix this?

I cannot manually run and jump. In the tutorial you have to run and jump to get on a window ledge. I can only do this if Always Run is set in options. Otherwise when I try to do it manually by running and jumping, ( holding down Shift while running then hitting Space to jump while running) does not work at all. I cannot jump at all while running manually.

How can I fix this?

Thanks!

Edit to add System specs:

System Manufacturer/Model Number - HP Pavillion G7-2251dx

OS Windows 8 64 bit

CPU AMD A-8 4500M - Quad Core

Memory 8 Gigabytes DDR3 sdram

Graphics Card Discrete ATI Radeon HD 7640G with 2 Gigabytes additional video memory

Sound Card IDT Audio

Monitor(s) Displays 17.3

Screen Resolution 1600x900

Hard Drives 500 gig

Edited by Dark Phoenix

I cannot manually run and jump. In the tutorial you have to run and jump to get on a window ledge. I can only do this if Always Run is set in options. Otherwise when I try to do it manually by running and jumping, ( holding down Shift while running then hitting Space to jump while running) does not work at all. I cannot jump at all while running manually.

I think there is a setting in windows which, if enabled, causes keys to be ignored if several of them are pressed at the same time. I had such issues while gaming under Windows XP. As this problem doesn't occoured under Vista and W7, I cannot remember the setting, though. You may search under settings/keyboard or so.

The first issue only occours under linux for me, alt-tabbing under windows works nice. Which OS are you using?

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I think there is a setting in windows which, if enabled, causes keys to be ignored if several of them are pressed at the same time. I had such issues while gaming under Windows XP. As this problem doesn't occoured under Vista and W7, I cannot remember the setting, though. You may search under settings/keyboard or so.

I think you might be talking about Sticky Keys, it's an accessibility feature. It probably would make running and jumping impossible.

Edited by Midnight

I added my specs to the opening post above.

Thanks for the alt-tab info. I will use one of these solutions - but for me it's a lesser problem.

The running and jumping is a MAJOR problem because who wants to always run when trying to sneak around? No one.. especially in one of the worlds top stealth games.

For me, it's a game breaking bug. - I'd have to hide, go into settings and turn Always Run to ON, just to make the jump then hide again and go back into settings and turn Auto Run back Off after the jump is made. This would be very annoying.

Looking forward to other replies. Thanks.

Edited by Dark Phoenix

I'd quite like window manager keys (eg, switch application, bound to Meta-Tab, or switch workspace, bound to eg Meta-Left-Arrow, etc) to work from within TDM. This is the one thing missing when compared to Wine: when running under Wine I can switch workspaces even while running TDM, but not when running natively. (I'm using XFCE at the moment.)

As for run+jump ... it's taken me forever to get the timing right, but I'm slowing getting better at it.

As for run+jump ... it's taken me forever to get the timing right, but I'm slowing getting better at it.

Thanks for the replies for the alt tab problem folks but Please don't give me any more help on that,.. for now i'm just going to play in a window.

My run jump problem isn't because it's hard.. actually with Always Run on, running and making the jump is rather easy.. My problem is the Jump button will not work at all while I'm running the normal way via Shift.

Please help me with this problem. Thanks.

Edited by Dark Phoenix

That's an issue with your keyboard, not TDM. Some keyboards don't allow certain combinations of keys to be pressed at the same time; if two are pressed, the third won't register (the space bar, in this case).

You could try changing the run key to something else and see if that helps. Or, try this:

I think there is a setting in windows which, if enabled, causes keys to be ignored if several of them are pressed at the same time. I had such issues while gaming under Windows XP. I cannot remember the setting, though. You may search under settings/keyboard or so.

That's an issue with your keyboard, not TDM. Some keyboards don't allow certain combinations of keys to be pressed at the same time; if two are pressed, the third won't register (the space bar, in this case).

You could try changing the run key to something else and see if that helps. Or, try this:

Sorry but I cannot believe that at all. This is a gaming laptop. I Always use those same keys to run and jump in every first person game I play. It has always worked for Every game. I use the arrow keys to walk, the shift key above those arrow keys to run while i'm walking forward. I use the right ctrl key for crouching with my pinky finger. This is my standard first person game layout which does always work.

It's a bug in the engine, I'll stake my reputation as a gamer on it.

Edit: I just tried with a new USB keyboard I know also can and does run and jump just fine with this layout in other games. I play a LOT of FPS games. I've played FPS games for 20 years now and had a version of Windows just as long.. i'm an old hat when it comes to Windows PC's and gaming. This keyboard won't work either.

Sticky Keys doesn't seem to effect it either turned on or off. There is an option to let the system turn off sticky keys automaticly when " two keys are pressed at once" this seems like it might effect the problem but it does not. This option requires Sticky Keys to be turned On for it to work, and still it makes no differance.

Edited by Dark Phoenix

Sorry but I cannot believe that at all. This is a gaming laptop. I Always use those same keys to run and jump in every first person game I play. It has always worked for Every game. I use the arrow keys to walk, the shift key above those arrow keys to run while i'm walking forward. I use the right ctrl key for crouching with my pinky finger. This is my standard first person game layout which does always work.

It's a bug in the engine, I'll stake my reputation as a gamer on it.

I have the issue springheel mentioned in some games and I have a pretty good keyboard. But, indeed, if you have a laptop that's probably not problem, as laptops' keyboards aren't restricted to usb, ps2 etc communication with the motherboard.

I played Need for speed (whatever version that was) in both my desktop and laptop, and drifting the car using my desktop was impossible! I had to press 3 or four keys at the same time and one simply wouldn't register (it gave me a beeping sound everytime this happened). But on the laptop I could press all keys at the same time without problems.

I Just discovered something. It was mentioned to test the keyboard ( in another forum) to bind the Jump function to the mouse middle button. I tried this and it worked.. so now i'm about to eat cake because it seemed like it was the keyboard after all -

BUT - I decided to try some more key bindings. I found that assigning the jump function to the / key will cause the run jump to work correctly - so it's not the keyboard after all unless they have some odd settings that just deal with the Spacebar key.

Seems when Jump is spacebar, run jump cannot happen. When Jump is slash, it works just fine.

.So back to - is it the keyboard or the game? I'm not sold yet on it being my keyboard. The run jump combo is such a popular feature in tons of games, i just cannot see the industry doing that - and like I said, i do know it works in other games I have.. so it's quite the odd duck.

Edited by Dark Phoenix

Well, I don't know which keys you're using, but I can run/jump with ctrl + w + space without incident.

Well, I don't know which keys you're using, but I can run/jump with ctrl + w + space without incident.

Yeah.. you are talking about the Horrid " normally accepted" keyboard layout using WASD keys to walk plus the left ctrl key for your jump function. Horrid for me that is.. I hate having my hand on the left side of the keyboard, so i use the arrow keys plus the right shift key for Run.

Anyway, with my layout I have changed the Jump from / to Zero on the number keypad. This allows my to hit the right shift key to run and hit the Zero key to jump very comfortably - once I got used to it..

This thread can close cus I'll just play as stated above and with the game in a window. Both problems solved.

Thanks a lot folks for your insight. Stay close to the shadows!

Ok, this thread is pretty long, and since I handled unmangling the ID keyboard limitations last time, I'll take this stuff up. I just dont really feel like reading at 5am.

What I've picked up is that some keys don't love fullscreen. A bunch of things will want you to have the console open (or be at main screen, I recall). But I'll put some time testing and fixing this to be a bit better for post-2.01.

I will put up a bugtracker entry later today when I feel a bit more awake :)

1st. I apologise about getting anyone up at 5 am, 2nd, as this is my 2nd palythrough of TDM, I Really love and appreciate everything you guys do.so much so.. I came back. Heck I hope this project lives forever and we wind up with thousands of fan missions.

Enough kissing ass.. (although richly deserved) I dunno if it's my bug or your bug, I just want it so no one else has to bother with it. You have my great thanks.

BUT - I decided to try some more key bindings. I found that assigning the jump function to the / key will cause the run jump to work correctly - so it's not the keyboard after all unless they have some odd settings that just deal with the Spacebar key.

Yeah.. you are talking about the Horrid " normally accepted" keyboard layout using WASD keys to walk plus the left ctrl key for your jump function. Horrid for me that is.. I hate having my hand on the left side of the keyboard, so i use the arrow keys plus the right shift key for Run.

The key ghosting effect (where one or more keys don't register when multiple keys are pressed) is more to do with the keyboard matrix (but the interface type, USB/PS2 does place additional restrictions). So it could very well be that your particular keyboard(s) aren't designed in such a way as to allow your preferred run-jump key combo. When you talk about ~gaming~ devices like gaming keyboards, they will usually implement some form of anti-ghosting by optimising the key matrix around common key combos. Unfortunately for you, this usually means the WASD cluster. You would probably need full keyboard anti-ghosting/NKRO. Mechanical keyboards are typically better at this.

I am the bat. The night is mine.