The Dark Mod Forums

Pick your Top 10 Horror missions

nbohr1more

When running around the net trying to find avenues of promotion, I saw that someone tried to mention us in the "Horror Gaming" section

of Reddit but was fairly well shot-down.

I think The Dark Mod has a fair number of survival horror type game-play and now is the season when folks will be in the mood for that...

I also think we have a good crossover audience with Amnesia and Penumbra fans (who have tons of posts in the Horror Gaming section).

Without further ado, please post your Top 10 horror missions.

These can be anything with a scary element even if the whole mission is not haunt or horror based.

I will tabulate the results and make a Moddb feature article for this.

Thanks,

nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Horror missions are not my preference, but they can be pretty fun. I prefer human enemies. I haven't played every TDM mission yet. I think Alberic's Curse, Glenham Tower, Illusionist's Tower and Penny Dreadful: Grail of Regrets are the only horror missions that I have beaten. They were all pretty good for horror missions though :o

I did play a little bit of Lich Queen's Demise, and I think that it might be the best horror level there is, but I haven't beaten it yet.

Edited by SirGen

Flakebridge Monastary, Alberic's Curse and Lich Queens Demise are the best ones IMHO.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I don't know if we really do have that good a crossover with things like Amnesia yet, as that game relies heavily on an unarmed protagonist who's only method of dealing with the foes is to hide until they leave, all the missions in TDM I can think of that feature the supernatural have an armed player.. which would give us a greater crossover with Doom3 than Amnesia... now, maybe an as of yet unreleased mission will change that, and I certainly believe the toolset is more than capable of creating an experience similar, but we don't have that experience now (unless my memory regarding Flakebridge is horribly inaccurate, pretty sure the player is armed there).

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

Like SirGen, horror missions aren't usually my taste, but I make an exception for the following:

Full-on horror: Glenham Tower, Flakebridge Monastery

Partly horror: Requiem, In Remembrance of Him (only one horror section but it's a doozy). First part of No Honour Amongst Thieves 1 is quite horror-ish too.

Probably doesn't fit as there are no undead at all, but I find Patently Dangerous quite chilling.

Probably doesn't fit as there are no undead at all, but I find Patently Dangerous quite chilling.

I don't think that only FMs with undead in them can be considered horror. Humans can be evil too. While I wouldn't call Patently Dangerous a horror FM it has a good horror element. It's definately in my top 10 of horror FMs.

Edited by Sir Taffsalot

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

I wonder how feasible it would be to design an Amnesia style mission? By Amnesia style, I mean unarmed player, oppressive atmosphere, threatening enemies etc. Is it possible to have GUI overlays that could simulate being incredibly frightened, Amnesia style?

Can't think of ten offhand , but my favorite has to be Glenham Tower, really edgy playing that for the first time.

I might as well add my own:

1) Glenham Tower

2) Alberic's Curse

3) Requiem

4) Flakebridge Monastery

5) A Night to Remember

6) Penny Dreadful

7) Madrasola

9) The Creeps

10) Let Sleeping Thieves Lie

I need to replay Crystal Grave and House in Blackbog Hollow to verify my choices.

Also, very hard to give those an order. I like many of them equally and for different reasons.

I wonder how feasible it would be to design an Amnesia style mission? By Amnesia style, I mean unarmed player, oppressive atmosphere, threatening enemies etc. Is it possible to have GUI overlays that could simulate being incredibly frightened, Amnesia style?

Certainly and it is even easy. Player starts without equipment if the mapper gives him none. Gui overlays are easy to do also, imagine the Doom 3 dying overlay. You could have the player vision go dim from the edges when they are frightened, also play some heavy breathing and heartbeat sounds inside the player's head.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Once I've done the final part of the Vengeance campaign that is exactly what I plan to do next.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

Yeah I know you can disarm the player (no shop, no weapons given on startup), but I was more concerned about the overlays. If it's easy, that's very good news. I imagine atmosphere could be fudged with a combination of maybe light fog at a distance to muddy up visual perception combined with ambient light changes based on the zone you're in, and appropriate music choices, I think it really hinged on the overlay. Is there a wiki article dealing with those?

Is it possible to have GUI overlays that could simulate being incredibly frightened, Amnesia style?

You can adjust the parameters of the "heat haze" shader, and make it overlay the GUI to make your view swim a bit. In fact, I think I left a prototype in the package of The Creeps.

textures/darkmod/custom/creep_wave_more
{
qer_editorimage models/darkmod/props/textures/generic_d_ed

discrete
  nonsolid
  twosided
  translucent

deform turbulent sinTable 0.015 (time*0.5) 10
{
vertexProgram heatHazeWithMask.vfp
vertexParm 0 time * 0.002 , time * 0.002
vertexParm 1 3
fragmentProgram heatHazeWithMask.vfp
fragmentMap 0 _currentRender
fragmentMap 1 textures/sfx/vp1
fragmentMap 2 textures/water_source/vp_water
}

}

How about making a texture skin for a ghost using nothing but this swimming turbulance and the shadowmesh? :)

• Like 1

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

Of the missions I already enjoyed following more haunting FMs come to my mind:

Alberic's Curse, Flakebridge Monastery, Glenham Tower, House in Blackbog Hollow, Requiem, The Creeps, The Rift ... (in no particular order)

I rather feel Werebeasts more as monster type than horrorific in itself - if not set in a horror style ambience / story.

"To rush is without doubt the most important enemy of joy" ~ Thieves Saying

Bump.

Any more votes \ suggestions?

I will try to cobble an article tonight (or tomorrow) from what's here but a few more votes would make me happier than

just arbitrarily filling in the blanks with my own personal preferences...

Thanks. :)

The Creeps.

Sure this wont make it to your article, but its the only mission I know of in TDM where horror is the core of its very concept. There are several good undead missions, but they are not really meant to be scary. I mean, they are only enemies with their patrols, and you have to avoid them as you would any guard, and carry on with the mission. The Creeps is beyond that and is meant to be a true horror experience. It reminds me of F.E.A.R.

OK, with a little editorial judgement (many ties), here is the tentative list.

I will post this to moddb tomorrow unless more votes change the standings.

1) Glenham

2) Alberics

3) Flakebridge

4) Requiem

5) Penny Dreadful

6) The Creeps

7) Lich Queens Demise

8) House in Blackbog Hollow

9) Patently Dangerous

10) Let Sleeping Thieves Lie

So tough to choose. We've also got the excellent mission "Betrayal" to mention here...

On the other hand, even though it's a smaller mission, "Samhain Night on Bone Hill" has all the

traditional Halloween notes... Argh.... Top 15 :)

Article up:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-dark-mod/news/top-10-horror-missions-for-the-dark-mod

such a tough thing to make a list of.... I'm having voters remorse.

• Like 3