The Dark Mod Forums

Most anticipated PC games?

delatroy

On 1/13/2021 at 8:55 AM, cabalistic said:

The new GOG Galaxy client is a god-send in that regard, as it can integrate with your other accounts and list your entire library. I've used it repeatedly to verify if I really don't own a particular game or just forgot under which account it is :D

I have just tested it. It's really cool. All my games from GOG, Bethesda Launcher, Origin, Epic, Uplay, Battle.net and Steam under one hood. The only feature I am missing right now is "sort by date of purchase" because I usually want my most recent purchases at the top. 😕

• Like 1

2 hours ago, peter_spy said:

About that geo-locking thing, Valve and other companies just have been fined for this: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2021/01/20/valve-and-five-publishers-fined-e7-8-million-for-geo-blocking-steam-keys/

I wonder how that will affect video game pricing here in europe, as they will have to equalize prizes accross the Europe. Considering how Germany yields the highest video game revenues in Europe, I don't expect they will lower the prices here much. Consequently, they will probably raise the prizes in eastern Europe quite a bit. So, sorry peter, I guess you'll have to pay more in the future. 😕 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, peter_spy said:

About that geo-locking thing, Valve and other companies just have been fined for this: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2021/01/20/valve-and-five-publishers-fined-e7-8-million-for-geo-blocking-steam-keys/

Viva la revolucion!

More details on the Commission's site: https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_21_170

Edited by Anderson

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

2 hours ago, STiFU said:

Consequently, they will probably raise the prizes in eastern Europe quite a bit. So, sorry peter, I guess you'll have to pay more in the future. 😕 

Actually, we already have game prices that are similar, if not identical to EUR in terms of the exchange ratio. A new AAA title on Steam is 250 PLN, which is around 60 EUR, and it has been like that for years now.

43 minutes ago, peter_spy said:

Actually, we already have game prices that are similar, if not identical to EUR in terms of the exchange ratio. A new AAA title on Steam is 250 PLN, which is around 60 EUR, and it has been like that for years now.

Ah ok, sorry. I just based my assumption on that article you cited, which explicitly named Poland as one of the contries whose keys were geo-blocked. Didn't mean to be offensive or anything.

• Like 2

No worries, it doesn't sound offensive at all :)

But you're right, for some games there were "regional" editions of Steam keys here, which were slightly cheaper on the launch day. I remember first Dishonored being branded as "RHCP" here, which stands for "Romania, Hungary, Czech Republic, Poland". Not very funky indeed. But even that isn't a common practice anymore. If I find cheaper options, it's usually on CDkeys, which either has European or Worldwide keys for games, and that's where the lower price comes from (I hope it's only that...). But typically I just buy games a year after launch, or on seasonal sale, as the 20-30 EUR is more like my price range.

I'd be curious to see if piracy levels rise because of this, if sellers up their prices in response. Of course if piracy is already rampant then it might not make a difference, I dunno. The people who actually pay for games instead of pirating them are probably doing so for other reasons so they may just at worst change their buying habits (e.g. wait for more sales).

A word of warning, Agent Denton. This was a simulated experience; real LAMs will not be so forgiving.

5 hours ago, Xolvix said:

I'd be curious to see if piracy levels rise because of this, if sellers up their prices in response.

I doubt it. I don't think a few euros more expensive will encourage more people to choose a pirate's life, just like a few euros drop in price won't make more people give it up. Quite a few people also pirate games just to test if they like them and then buy them or uninstall them if they don't like them, as refund policies (if any) are quite shady sometimes and there are few games that actually have demos (although this thankfully seems to be increasing again).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Carnage said:

I doubt it. I don't think a few euros more expensive will encourage more people to choose a pirate's life, just like a few euros drop in price won't make more people give it up. Quite a few people also pirate games just to test if they like them and then buy them or uninstall them if they don't like them, as refund policies (if any) are quite shady sometimes and there are few games that actually have demos (although this thankfully seems to be increasing again).

It is always a risk with games. I remember some years  ago a demo of a game appeared with a magazine, Will Rock (2003), a wonderful FPS, with a good setting, action in abundance in a fairly long demo. I liked it so much that I bought the complete game, but I stayed completely disappointed to see that the demo was almost as long as the full game and on top of that it was a lot worse finished with lousy gameplay.

https://www.gamepressure.com/download.asp?ID=2758

It's like watching a trailer for a movie, which is very interesting, and then at the cinema you realize that the trailer had practically all the good scenes of the movie and that you have wasted your money.

• Like 1

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

Favorite online apps you may like too 😉

On 1/21/2021 at 8:48 AM, Zerg Rush said:

It is always a risk with games.

It certainly is, but still a demo is more than going in completely blind and of course there will be examples as yours. I do think though that you'll be able to find such things in reviews nowadays. Unless you buy day one or pre-order, but I think it's your own mistake then. I usually wait till all the DLC's have been released and most of the bugs have been removed and buy during a sale. The prices you pay then are very good and in my country even more at the moment. For new games I would pay about $ 55. Most of the games I buy though are $ 10 or less, and I find it hard to complain too much then.

• Like 1

The last game I bought years ago was Portal (€ 9.90). There are every few days Giveaways and Freebies games on GOG, Steam, Indiegala, DigiPen, etc. to have good games without having to pay a penny. Currently, however, TDM is what I mainly play, it is enough for me.

• Like 1

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

Favorite online apps you may like too 😉

• 1 month later...

I can only hope with Vampire Bloodlines apparently getting canned that Paradox turns to one of my most anticipated games since forever, Victoria 3. (Yes, I understand VB2 was actually being made by another studio; but I think it's still part of the equation in terms of financing, and I'm just speaking rhetorically off the cuff anyway.)

Vicky 2 came out in 2010, and the series has been noticeably skipped over as Paradox has made sequels to other games that came out after that one like Crusader Kings & Magicka. But asking them about when Vicky 3 is coming out has been a running joke for years now.

It's probably my favorite game in the entire genre, but I can understand that it's a detail-oriented game in a period most people don't really get, and that's why they haven't come back to it. But they have said they'll get to it eventually.

• Like 1

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.