The Dark Mod Forums

]-undertow-[ Application Thread

]-UnderTOW-[

Hi, i'd like to start by saying this is the most promising Doom 3 mod i've seen and i'm a HUGE fan of Thief 1 and 2 and the less said about Thief 3, Ion Storm and Warren Spector, the better IMO ;).

I'd like to get back into modding and do some animation for a promising mod in my spare time (was looking into HL2 modding, then discovered how terrible it's tools are), so if you're in need of animation i'd like to lend a hand.

Here is a page with my work (hasn't been updated in a while, though). I live in Melbourne, Australia. I work for a local game developer as an Animator. I use Maya and have been getting into MEL scripting recently. My first script was an auto rigging system (similar to XSI's rig from guide). Now working on a Skin Weight exporting/importing script.

Edited by New Horizon

Wow, great stuff! We would definitely benefit from an animator like yourself, and you're just in time. :)

Thanks all :)

I have 1 question. I noticed in a previous thread about aiming for an end of the year release date. Would you consider, after the Doom 3 version is done, to port it to Unreal Engine 3 (as the first UE3 game's supposed to be released 2006)? The more i read about UE3, the more i fall in love

Edited by ]-UnderTOW-[

That'd be alot of work. None of the code from Doom 3 can be ported directly into Ued3, just reverse engineered.

On the other hand it'd be much easier to port into another iteration of the D3 engine. Since Doom 3 is only the first of many versions of the engine yet to come, I wouldn't be surprised if a UE3 capable rev showed up around the same time.

Well, all assets can be easily ported (weapon, character and world meshes, animations, textures, sound, music). Maps, though would need to be recreated, which isn't too difficult if experienced with UED (just time consuming). The only real problem would code, although from what i've read about UE3, there's so little code required now. With their new Kismet visual scripting system, the level designer can do so much without the need of a programmer. Same goes for assets. You don't need to code a thing to create a material in Unreal engine.

Fett: WTF?

Edited by ]-UnderTOW-[

It's Avalon, he'll hit on you nonstop then show you pictures of his girlfriend once he starts thinking you're taking him seriously. :P

Me: Hey

Avalon: LETS HAVE STEAMY MAN SEX!

Me: WAHT?

Avalon: HOT!

ANYFUGGINWAY, UE3 does sound cool...the only problem with it is that I wanna spend some time with D3 so I can enjoy teh fruitz 'o my many laborz. Jumping from one mod directly to another without any quality time spent would be kind of a buzzkill. ;)

Nah, not straight away, once Doom 3 version is good and ready ;).

Or it could even be just getting some other people to work on the UE3 version. Only level designers and programmers would really be needed. They could share assets

Edited by ]-UnderTOW-[

It'd be a good excuse for me to get more Ued practice. ;)

As far as maps go, though...UE3 looks gonna be heavily static mesh based and light on BSP, which is the complete opposite of how D3 is set up. There'd be a need for modellers moreso than mappers if we were gonna port maps as well.

I'm getting used to Max right now, but I'm hardly what you'd call uber awesome at it yet...once again it'd be a good excuse to practice though.

As far as maps go, though...UE3 looks gonna be heavily static mesh based and light on BSP, which is the complete opposite of how D3 is set up.

I'm not sure what do you mean?

It'll use a unified light system just like Doom 3's (only it's capable of good looking outdoor lighting ;P). For level design, you create the basic level shape with brushes, then any highly detailed parts would use Static Meshes (map objects), just like Doom 3. Only real difference that i know of is the lack of quake 3/doom 3 bezier patches. To recreate a map, you just need to make sure the scale is accurate. Port over the static meshes/map objects, recreate the basic brush placment and fill in with the static meshes. Any parts of the level that use patches, i guess get a modeller to recreate it with a static mesh. Only a little more modelling required.

Not quite. In Ued you build alot of your map out of static meshes, whereas in D3 static meshes are used only rarely..usually just for repetitive objects like door frames or small lights. Most of everything you see in Doom 3 is made out of brushes or bezier patches. The only thing I can think of that is exclusively mesh based are the terrains.

Well, it's kinda being able to add more sugar to coffee rather than taking it out ;), if you follow the way i'm drifting. Doom 3's levels use fewer static meshes. It would be easier to recreate such a level in a system designed to use more static meshes, than the other way around.

Besides, i don't think it's really a techincal thing, rather it's just the way it was made, kinda thing. I reckon they'd both be able to use static meshes/ map objects equally (well, Unreal has better texturing capability on static meshes with the ability to use multiple UV channels/sets for image texture blending, rather than just vertex colour texture blending).

EDIT: Anyway, kinda beside the point, as it's Doom 3 right now ;)

Edited by ]-UnderTOW-[

Yeah, but it's fun to talk about. UE3 can do ALOT of cool stuff I'd be interested in using. ;)

I'd discuss it more but I'm about to hit the hay here...and since it looks like you'll be sticking around for awhile (hopefully) we'll have plenty more time to argue about it in the long run. ;)

Wow! Great stuff! :) I made you contributor. I guess you should talk to Oddity, because he already did start on some animations. Currently Corvyth is working on the AI guard fighting code and he needs animations for this where Oddity provides a model. So get in contact with thos two and see if you can help there. If that is already sorted out, I'm sure Oddity can provide you some models to start animating for. :)

Welcome aboard. :)

Gerhard