The Dark Mod Forums

TDM post-proccesing effects

someTaff

Is it possible to add distance based blur to tdm picture (like fov) and other modern effects? I can think of dirty camera, motion blur ..

And otherwise remove outdated bloom effect?

As to fov it would be probably something like blurred image applied via mask on base image every frame..

Edited by someTaff

What excuse do we have not to sculpt, and sculpt, and sculpt, until the job is done?

Not that I know of. Doom3 had the berserk effect, which blurred the screen and made it look a bit 'trippy,' but I am uncertain if that code/feature is present in TDM anymore.

What you can basically do, is to paint a GUI on top of the screen and tune the transparency of it. You see it in use every time you die, as the screen blurs from the side. That is easy to do.

There are no other effects I am aware of.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I've been looking around the code and can't find any way to overlay anything other than the red hurt overlay.

Short of resurrecting the berserk effect, and not wanting to alter the red hurt overlay, how is painting a GUI on top of the screen easy to do?

If you want to have this in your own effect, one possible way is to create a nonsolid spheric patch around the player that uses a custom material which makes use of the heat haze program. Everything inside the range of the sphere will look normal, and everything outside will look distorted.

• Like 1

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Sikkmod has examples of these effects and the overlay material needed. Not that I'm advocating FOV blur....

Yep Sikkmod has it all and comparison video is impressive such a difference

Edited by someTaff

What excuse do we have not to sculpt, and sculpt, and sculpt, until the job is done?

If you want to have this in your own effect, one possible way is to create a nonsolid spheric patch around the player that uses a custom material which makes use of the heat haze program. Everything inside the range of the sphere will look normal, and everything outside will look distorted.

You mean shader haze effect?

Don't these sikkmod things done in renderer section of engine somewhere?

Isn't the water overlay a GUI effect?

Yes. But both the water overlay and hurt overlay are drawn by the code, depending on player state. I'm looking for something the mapper can control.

Sikkmod has examples of these effects and the overlay material needed. Not that I'm advocating FOV blur....

I'll DL his code and look through it, thanks.

Yes. But both the water overlay and hurt overlay are drawn by the code, depending on player state. I'm looking for something the mapper can control.

I remember Dram created some kind of rotoscope effect that he was able to trigger in a map, but I'm not sure if it was an overlay or some kind of material stage thing.

The shader is still included in the files for Blackheart Manor iirc, if it's the cell shading-like one I think you're referring to.

As for adding other effects, I think this is a topic for a later date. For now getting the code into better shape is more important than adding useless effects (I would strongly oppose motion blur, DoF would also be fairly silly.). But there are tools to add these effects to games without needing to modify the game itself. If they work with TDM, I have no idea :)

Moving the hurt stuff is a good idea tho, that's always been a little bit odd. Water too could use some reworking.

Sadly the guy that was working on the d3 GLSL port ahem passed away :/ But perhaps one day we can look at something like that, to make shaders a bit more modern (not a real performance advantage, but yeah - would be nice)

• Like 1

As for adding other effects, I think this is a topic for a later date. For now getting the code into better shape is more important than adding useless effects (I would strongly oppose motion blur, DoF would also be fairly silly.). But there are tools to add these effects to games without needing to modify the game itself. If they work with TDM, I have no idea :)

Quite a contrary DOF one is especcially migth prove usefull for masking growing doom3 age

i,mean in the prospect of new xbox and ps

What looks silly is 10 years old graphics

I guess the flashbomb overlay is hardcoded as well?

A hacky method might be to teleport a cylindrical patch bound to the player with the overlay effect you want.

Might not be as hacky as you think. I'm pretty sure Sikkmod binds a patch to the player camera. This patch is where all effects are rendered

believe it or not... All his effects are pretty much post processing effects even SSAO. He is using a trick to capture the z-buffer then using shader

math to manipulate the incoming view behind the patch with the z-buffer data. Funny thing is, many engines do something pretty equivalent

(though there is definitely more overhead in his version)...

• Like 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Quite a contrary DOF one is especcially migth prove usefull for masking growing doom3 age

i,mean in the prospect of new xbox and ps

What looks silly is 10 years old graphics

DoF doesnt make sense in FPS titles, I'm not even talking about personal preference. It makes the assumption that your eyes are entirely focused on the center of the screen. Having the focus correctly isolate things is also a bit of a nightmare to get right. Much like motion blur, your physical eyes and brain take care of all of this, adding an extra layer of it to a game only results in blurry details.

What would improve graphics, is spending the time on actually improving the assets. The engine itself can pour out tris like no ones business, improving the performance of shadowing and such should however allow mappers and content guys to push the quality up.

But hey, I guess the quick fix is to just sweet things under a carpet of ~modern~ graphics and forget gameplay relationships at home :)

This post may or may not sound like it was written by a prick, heh :(

I'm not advocating changing the engine or dll to provide "useless" effects.

Oh no, I totally agree with what you're doing :) Sorry if it sounded like I was saying that!

I've been looking around the code and can't find any way to overlay anything other than the red hurt overlay.

Short of resurrecting the berserk effect, and not wanting to alter the red hurt overlay, how is painting a GUI on top of the screen easy to do?

Fieldmedic had a gui on-screen in reap as you sow. I think there is a script command to paint and destroy a gui element on screen.

Clipper

The shader is still included in the files for Blackheart Manor iirc, if it's the cell shading-like one I think you're referring to.

Moving the hurt stuff is a good idea tho, that's always been a little bit odd. Water too could use some reworking.

Sadly the guy that was working on the d3 GLSL port ahem passed away :/ But perhaps one day we can look at something like that, to make shaders a bit more modern (not a real performance advantage, but yeah - would be nice)

Unfortunately, thinks like SweetFX and RadeonPro used to add effects to games only work with DirectX. I've not heard of any of them that work for OpenGL. There was a guy who was porting the SweetFX engine to OpenGL but that's not been updated since 2011.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Fieldmedic had a gui on-screen in reap as you sow. I think there is a script command to paint and destroy a gui element on screen.

Yes, there is. Although I'm not sure what can be done with guis in that respective.

Well, if someone wants to make a blurry vision effect it is easy:

make a gui image that is sort-of like a tunnel vision.

paint the tunnel vision on players view

have a script to rotate the tunnel vision image so that it is more dizzying, also one could scale it up and down to make it look like it pulse according to heart

control transparency of the gui image.

but yeah, it is not a real blur, but rather just a picture drawn in the players view.

Clipper

We have a free day here tomorrow. Maybe I'll find the time to check the heat haze approach.