The Dark Mod Forums

Linux Support

stickyfingers

Linux support for Doom3 is excellent. Part of my interest in The Dark Mod's success lies in the possibility of running a Thief-like game on linux natively.

So, are any developers either using linux during the development of TDM or have plans to maintain a linux port for this mod?

If not, and this is of interest, is this project looking for anyone to maintain the build scripts for TDM on linux?

Thanks.

I use Linux, but currently I use only Windows for development. As Linux is my primary desktop I'm also interested in running TDM on Linux, so you can be sure that this will be ported. :)

Which distribution do you use? At the moment we have not an urgent need for Linux testing, as we want to get one platform stable, but later on we sure can use some testers with different distributions. I have gentoo installed.

Gerhard

Which distribution do you use? At the moment we have not an urgent need for Linux testing, as we want to get one platform stable, but later on we sure can use some testers with different distributions. I have gentoo installed.

I use Debian.

Porting/testing the code on linux early will save hassles down the road. I can understand that dealing with Windows is more than enough work at the moment, but if you have the ability to at least maintain the linux compile, it would be well worth it.

I know that usually it's better to port early, but in this case we can assume that most of the code will at least compile, because we are working within the confines of Doom 3. So the most problems we can expect with maybe some filesystem stuff (though that is abstracted by D3 already) and some compiler incompatibillities, but these are easier to sort out. I develop all my programs usually first on Windows and then port them over to Linux because MS Studio is much more convenient for development. :)

Gerhard

• 8 months later...
Hi there, this is the official "any chance this might work on the Mac version of Doom3" question? i.e. are you using Win32 only stuff? I'm guessing it's probably "no" and "yes" respectively, but fingers crossed, mod looks really nice.

We hope to see it on Mac in the future but as Sparhawk says, we will finish the windows version first and move on from there. :)

Hi there, this is the official "any chance this might work on the Mac version of Doom3" question? i.e. are you using Win32 only stuff? I'm guessing it's probably "no" and "yes" respectively, but fingers crossed, mod looks really nice.

We have some features implemented, that definitely wont work on Macs, unless we get a programmer who can implement it there. Since nobody on our team has a Mac, currently there is no support for Macs.

Gerhard

We have some features implemented, that definitely wont work on Macs, unless we get a programmer who can implement it there. Since nobody on our team has a Mac, currently there is no support for Macs.

hi

if it's just a case of compiling the source that makes the windows dll files then i could (maybe!) help out here? I compile the source for Chex Trek, Pathways Redux, Quake 2 Lost Marine, GTX and a few others.. let me know. Hope i can help out : )

:wacko: no probs. Always happy to offer - i'm certainly no programmer but just having the mac sat in front of me means i was able to 'make' some previously non-mac compatible mods work. (with help from zl1corvette over at chex trek - maybe he can help you guys out?)

Cheers,

Currently we have two things implemented which will need special treatment. One of them MIGHT be possible to be implemented on Mac if the solution to this works similar to the one for Linux, which could be true.

The second part requires somebody who really needs Mac coding, because I don't know if this is even possible on a Mac. I know that it can become tricky to implement on Linux as well, but I think I can do it there, but I have no idea about Mac's. So it's not that I could give you the files and then tell you what you should change in order to make it work. This would work with some compiler incompatibillities, but not in this case because this is rather OS specific code. So if you know somebody who knows about Mac coding on a lower level, it would be very appreciated, because I don't even know somebody who owns a Mac, much less program it. :)

Gerhard

If you need a tester I could possibly do it, I switched Distros since last time I was on the forum, I run Gentoo right now on my main hard drive, my other hardrive is for any other distro I wish to test (currently fedora core & Debian stable & Gentoo), so I could do some testing if need be depending if work allows me too.

Roguetech

• 2 weeks later...
So if you know somebody who knows about Mac coding on a lower level, it would be very appreciated, because I don't even know somebody who owns a Mac, much less program it. :)

Santaduck might be able to work on it, he's done the mac "port" for the UT2k4 mod Frag.Ops, I'll email him about it.

Edited by JPMaximilian