The Dark Mod Forums

Frequent Crashing On Saving

NMEAI

TDM is crashing routinely now when trying to save deep into "Requiem"-- quicksaves or otherwise. The (successful) saves are ~14MB and climbing. Same was happening with almost as much frequency in "Lords & Legacy", where the saves were approaching 10MB. Is there possibly a problem with the compression scheme? Something else? The error is consistently memory can't be "written" to... yes with "written" in quotes.

Yes. As I say it (saving) works sometimes and the game runs as well as ever... but the saves (while saving; and then of course they are trash so they don't load) are crashing probably 40% of the time. The crashed saves which, say, should be ~14MB are crashing/retaining at about ~1-2MB and before the accompanying .tga and .txt files are created.

Sorry to hear, you're having problems. I can't offer a solution, but I can give you a way to backup saves automatically, so that you can at least continue playing as long as this bug has not been fixed for you. Check this script out:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/15059-corrupt-quicksaves/page__view__findpost__p__325241

So what's your system setup, OS, etc.?

Sorry to hear, you're having problems. I can't offer a solution, but I can give you a way to backup [quicksaves] saves automatically, so that you can at least continue playing as long as this bug has not been fixed for you. Check this script out:

http://forums.thedar...post__p__325241

Thanks. It's a good idea that can maybe be made even better by having a F5-F8:F9-F12 quicksaves scheme implemented. This is where the "Mod" world can actually teach the and influence the "industry" better ways of doing things. This kind of thing should be built into TDM; and hopefully let the industry get with it.

So what's your system setup, OS, etc.?

XPSP3. 3GB of 4 actual (system half-assed-tweaked, which I would suspect as badly-tweaked after all, but other are having this saving problem so I figure to look elsewhere for now).

I think as many of us are having problems saving that it does probably (maybe) have to do with imperfections in the code that compresses/culls the savedata when there is too much for that code to handle.

It happens, it seems, on these ~massive~ saves. The code may be impatient and therefore a little too greedy resource-wise so as to be quick. Always nice to be quick, but too quick, not so much.

It happens, it seems, on these ~massive~ saves. The code may be impatient and therefore a little too greedy resource-wise so as to be quick. Always nice to be quick, but too quick, not so much.

My Requiem saves are all around 3.6Mb. It sounds like saving is caught in a loop that keeps going until it runs out of memory.

My Requiem saves are all around 3.6Mb. It sounds like saving is caught in a loop that keeps going until it runs out of memory.

I'm way deep into it... have you gotten far? It's a huge helluva FM.

The saves, as with the way TDM saves usually go, have been progressively getting bigger as I get further on and collect more, shift things about more, and generally explore more... The initial save was ~3.5MB. Then soon a 3.6... a 4... all the way to this latest (successful) 14MB. No drastic leaps in size. If you want I can get you that latest 14MB save?

I can't do anything with a good save file. If you have a bad one, I could try to see where it's crashing.

AFAIK, there's no compression in savegames. It's a raw write/read of binary information.

Did you remove Stgatilov's savegame compression then?

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Did you remove Stgatilov's savegame compression then?

Nope. So there is compression?

Edit: I checked the code. Yes, compression is available, and controlled by a cvar, which defaults to "compress".

So if I can get my hands on a broken savegame, I can try to debug it. No guarantee, depending on where the crash occurs.

Nope. So there is compression?

Edit: I checked the code. Yes, compression is available, and controlled by a cvar, which defaults to "compress".

So if I can get my hands on a broken savegame, I can try to debug it. No guarantee, depending on where the crash occurs.

Yes, Stgatilov's code was to add compression (and I believe cull a lot of unnecessary "stuff" that the old way of saving used to bring along). Thanks, NBohr.

I'll look into find the compress cvar and turning it off... And if that doesn't work some magic, I'll attach a failed save. Which... will be something I can do here as those are obviously much smaller (.5MB is my latest {corrupted} quicksave).

ETA:

FYI: Just went to look at the bugtracker and then went to apply a filter to just look at "loading/saving" problems. It seems there is a category called "loading/saving" AND one called "loading and saving".

+

I'll just go ahead and attach the .5MB corrupt quicksave I've currently got. It's a .rar disguised -- so as to get by the forum's "security" -- as a .txt and it compresses to .05MB!

Quicksave.rar.txt

Edited by NMEAI

Well, I can say this much: The compression system is in place... and effective.

I turned it off (tdm_savegame_compress 0); saved from upon entering my last good save, which, as I said, was ~14MB; it went successfully; and then I exited and checked the newly created save? 66MB.

I'm going to set the thing to not compress/cull and play into the game to where I want to really save again and see what happens. Of course there might just be another (set?) of memory leaks that progressively pile up during a long session so I'll see about that too if all goes successfully after the first non-compress/cull save...

Edited by NMEAI

Did you compile your own version or anything?

The whole allocation thing can get a bit tricky as there are a few incorrect sizeof() uses in the mod code(I recall, I dont have my analysis on hand), but most of the time they match up accidentally. If you did happen to compile your own, it would be interesting to see if there were any related warnings in the build log.

Did you compile your own version or anything?

No. The TDM I am using is 2.0 as distributed.

The whole allocation thing can get a bit tricky as there are a few incorrect sizeof() uses in the mod code(I recall, I dont have my analysis on hand), but most of the time they match up accidentally. If you did happen to compile your own, it would be interesting to see if there were any related warnings in the build log.

Ah, well, therein possibly lies the problem. Thanks for recalling and replying here. Do you think you can find your notes/analysis? Surely this is something that needs more than reliance on accidental footing. ;)

A lot of it is fixed up by the stuff I am going to be working on... just got delayed by two weeks; Engine diffs are nearly ready then I'll start putting it into a branch in the repo.

My notes for the Windows build are really old, I will be doing more when I start testing there again :)

A lot of it is fixed up by the stuff I am going to be working on... just got delayed by two weeks; Engine diffs are nearly ready then I'll start putting it into a branch in the repo.

My notes for the Windows build are really old, I will be doing more when I start testing there again :)

Understood and appreciated. Just glad that this is known and being looked at... :smile::)

Still, its strange that you are hitting the problem all the time, very odd.

Well it's about 40% of the time. And I think that may be due to how long my session was (a piling up of leaks). And it certainly has to do with the EPIC "Requiem". It's a fantastic mission and fantastically large. The many of the FMs recently released are (Builder{s}) Be Blessed!) just so, but this one is really EPIC.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, in case it can help, I had no problem saving on "Requiem", but since I entered the 3rd zone of "Lords & Legacy", saving has become 100% impossible (well 3 tries in a row to be exact...and crash every time). Normal- or Quick-saving. Will try to investigate, by playing more I mean :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

First off, just would like to say kudos on TDM. I discovered it via PC Gamer and great job! I was huge fan of the Thief series of games and this is just what I was looking for.

That being said, I am experiencing the same issue as indicated in this thread. About 40% of my save attempts crash the game and creates a corrupt save.

Window 7, 4G RAM

I've not tried any fixes....I can get to console but I'm not sure of the exact command to turn off compression.

Mission: Requiem.

I just installed everything about a week ago so I think I have the latest files.

Edited by Bashar_Teg

• 2 weeks later...

Grayman fixes one thing that was causing a crash for 2.01...have you experienced any since updating?

Here! Oh yes, I'm new and I'm so sorry to be so active in this section of the forum... :blush: I'm playing with 2.01 and I'm experiencing this bug.

The more i'm closer to the second part of the map (commons) the more frequent.

The game chrashes saving with a windows error window. Then I restart and I have an error message similar to plozzz one.

My specs are similar to NIMEAI: XP SP3, Athlon 64 X2 3100Mhz, 4x1gb banks of ddr2 ram (3 recognized), geforce GT640

EDIT: Added a rar containing savefiles from lords and legacy

savegames.rar.txt

Edited by gangrel